Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

I travel around Europe plenty. No one even talks about Avatar anymore.

Not talking about it means they don't remember it exists? I can't remember the last time someone mentioned gravity to me.

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I agree Sws (not ep 8 or 9) has a shot at Avatar, but remember the Avatar sequels will all be out. Avatar 2 will make over 700mil from China alone.

No data can show Avatar 2 will make 700M from China alone.  Not even The Mermaid for Christ's sake got there.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

No data can show Avatar 2 will make 700M from China alone.  Not even The Mermaid for Christ's sake got there.

They had 4700 screens in China by the end of 2009, with not many 3d capable.
Right now they have over 32000 screens which is 6.8x more, lots with imax/3d capability.

Avatar made $204m from China in 1 month in Jan 2010, which was the highest grossing film China ever had. It wasn't until 2014 when China's market had boomed that Avatar was toppled.

You completely underestimate how huge Avatar was for the size of their market, they have a mountain named after Avatar. You also assume that Avatar 2 will only be allowed to run for 1 month.

To show what I mean simply, look at this list. Only one film was not from this decade because the market size has expanded so much. That films NAME? AVATAR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

What was the first franchise ?

Tarzan ?

Bond ?

Universal Monsters ?

Technically you can argue Kong. It had it's first sequel before any Universal Monster had there's, though Dracula, Frankenstein, and the mummy were released first. And they didn't really start to cross pollinate until the 40s. And how you define "Universal Monster" easily the largest in terms of films.

Longest Running is Godzilla.

I am a nerd.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Futurist said:

What was the first franchise ?

Tarzan ?

Bond ?

Universal Monsters ?

Thin Man should be in the discussion, from 1934, and spawned 5 sequels through 1947. The first was based off the book, not sure if the sequels are based on books or if there are/were follow up novels.

The protagonist is a P.I. and Johnny Depp expressed some interest a few years ago in reviving the brand. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Thin Man should be in the discussion, from 1934, and spawned 5 sequels through 1947. The first was based off the book, not sure if the sequels are based on books or if there are/were follow up novels.

The protagonist is a P.I. and Johnny Depp expressed some interest a few years ago in reviving the brand. 

The Thin Man films are absolute classics. William Powell and Myrna Loy in the lead roles had the sort of chemistry that most screen couples can only dream of. Depp, with all of his weird tics and dependence on bizarre makeup, isn't at all suited to play Nick Charles. 

• Like 2

As someone who is deeply underwhelmed by Rogue One, I can really see why Red Letter Media said Star Wars is indeed a very limited cinematic universe compared to Marvel. Each Star Wars movie needs to rely on self-referential nostalgic stuff to attract people or to be the only selling points. It is really disappointing. I just don't want to see light saber fights or spaceship battles or the tons of distracting Star Wars reference (The CGI figures in Rogue One, you know what I mean...) anymore in the Han Solo solo movie. These stuff will get old real fast. That is why Marvel will be a more successful and diverse cinematic universe than Star Wars in the long term. It can range from space opera to medieval times to ancient myths to modern days. It is something Star Wars can never achieve. Sorry but no sorry, Marvel will definitely be more popular than Star Wars. It is just a matter of time. At this point, I just hope that DCEU can get its act together to rival MCU. 

3 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

As someone who is deeply underwhelmed by Rogue One, I can really see why Red Letter Media said Star Wars is indeed a very limited cinematic universe compared to Marvel. Each Star Wars movie needs to rely on self-referential nostalgic stuff to attract people or to be the only selling points. It is really disappointing. I just don't want to see light saber fights or spaceship battles or the tons of distracting Star Wars reference (The CGI figures in Rogue One, you know what I mean...) anymore in the Han Solo solo movie. These stuff will get old real fast. That is why Marvel will be a more successful and diverse cinematic universe than Star Wars in the long term. It can range from space opera to medieval times to ancient myths to modern days. It is something Star Wars can never achieve. Sorry but no sorry, Marvel will definitely be more popular than Star Wars. It is just a matter of time. At this point, I just hope that DCEU can get its act together to rival MCU. 

I like Red Letter Media, but I disagree with Star Wars being a narrow cinematic universe.  Rogue One was always gonna feel close to the OT, it takes place just days before ANH.

I do agree though that the Han Solo spinoff is a monumentally stupid idea.  I mean really, who gives a shit about the adventures of young Han Solo smuggling contraband(I also just can't picture anyone besides Harrison Ford as that character at all).   I have no interest in that at all and it will probably be the first Star Wars movie I won't see in the theater.