Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't think, even with the version with the added footage, that Endgame will overtake Avatar...just not enough gas left in the tank....but it came closer then I thought it would.

And I am sticking by my theory that the film that will beat Avatar will be one no one gave a realistic chance to.

This is not true Endgame already passed Avatar 1st run and nobody expected to do that. Highest was I believe 2.5B prediction for Endgame.. Avatar is only ahead because of re-release. Also Endgame is just expanding for a small window if it had re-released all over the world including India, China and some other countries. It will easily overtake Avatar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

GAMECHANGERS!!!

of course Zoe doesn't want corporate trash to pass Avatar.

Just like how Avatar was and it's consecutive sequels will be?????? 

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

On 6/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

They over-saturated their own market with rubbish. I think most got what they deserved. 

Who are you referring to? I'm very happy that they're re-releasing EG. 

It’s sad they MCU stans just resort to making things up. Whereas if you outright quote them, even without providing commentary, you’re “poisoning the well.”

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, Menor said:

Depends on how you define impressive. That is a very subjective word

On 6/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, Thomas Beck said:

In which ways are EG less impressive than Avatar?

Fortunately, we're dealing with box office and real numbers, hurray! According to my calculations, Avatar's run is 45.61% more impressive than Endgame, using the average of the top 10 movies of their respective years. Titanic is a whopping 71.51% more impressive, or 87.90% more impressive if you include the re-release. 

exkP4wX.png

or in graph form:

m9mq6Ea.png

Yes, Avatar and Endgame are both impressive. But Avatar is more impressive.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Fortunately, we're dealing with box office and real numbers, hurray! According to my calculations, Avatar's run is 45.61% more impressive than Endgame, using the average of the top 10 movies of their respective years. Titanic is a whopping 71.51% more impressive, or 87.90% more impressive if you include the re-release. 

exkP4wX.png

or in graph form:

m9mq6Ea.png

Yes, Avatar and Endgame are both impressive. But Avatar is more impressive.

Why are you using IW as one of the ten movies? Also most of Avatar’s run was in 2010, likewise 1998 for Titanic.

3 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Why are you using IW as one of the ten movies? Also most of Avatar’s run was in 2010, likewise 1998 for Titanic.

2019 isn't done, so I had to use 2018 for Endgame. Swapping out IW and swapping in Deadpool 2 (counting the #9 twice) in its place still puts Avatar significantly above Endgame, at 31.59% more impressive. Complaining about Avatar's run being in 2010 and Titanic in 1998 isn't helpful because box office growth has been trending upwards, so if anything it puts them at a disadvantage in this comparison, because Endgame gets to rewind 5 months in a period of growing box office.

So, double-counting Deadpool 2 for Endgame's relative success:

Ei3riiO.png

LuUoCU4.png

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

2019 isn't done, so I had to use 2018 for Endgame. Swapping out IW and swapping in Deadpool 2 (counting the #9 twice) in its place still puts Avatar significantly above Endgame, at 31.59% more impressive. Complaining about Avatar's run being in 2010 and Titanic in 1998 isn't helpful because box office growth has been trending upwards, so if anything it puts them at a disadvantage in this comparison, because Endgame gets to rewind 5 months in a period of growing box office.

So, double-counting Deadpool 2 for Endgame's relative success:

Ei3riiO.png

LuUoCU4.png

Still wrong. Avatar was going against Alice in wonderland and even partly against Toy story 3. There was no overlap with some of the 2009 movies

1 minute ago, JimiQ said:

Still wrong. Avatar was going against Alice in wonderland and even partly against Toy story 3. There was no overlap with some of the 2009 movies

This is some pretty hardcore denialism. I'm not going to post another graph until you define and justify the methodology you would use. I used the year of release, except for Endgame where I rewound to the previous year (Advantage: Endgame). We obviously don't know what Frozen 2 and TLK are going to make so 2018 is the best comp we have so far, but even using reasonable estimates for those two movies ($1.25B for Frozen 2, and $1.5B for TLK) and assuming not a single other movie released this year is bests Shazam!'s global cume of $379M, Endgame still comes out significantly behind Avatar by 16%. Remember, that's literally freezing the rest of the year's box office, including movies that are still in theaters like Aladdin. If you want to quibble about what Frozen 2 and TLK will make and argue that nothing else will beat Shazam!, we'll have to wait until the final movie released this year is out of theaters before we can use 2019 instead of 2018.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

This is some pretty hardcore denialism. I'm not going to post another graph until you define and justify the methodology you would use. I used the year of release, except for Endgame where I rewound to the previous year (Advantage: Endgame). We obviously don't know what Frozen 2 and TLK are going to make so 2018 is the best comp we have so far, but even using reasonable estimates for those two movies ($1.25B for Frozen 2, and $1.5B for TLK) and assuming not a single other movie released this year is bests Shazam!'s global cume of $379M, Endgame still comes out significantly behind Avatar by 16%. Remember, that's literally freezing the rest of the year's box office, including movies that are still in theaters like Aladdin. If you want to quibble about what Frozen 2 and TLK will make and argue that nothing else will beat Shazam!, we'll have to wait until the final movie released this year is out of theaters before we can use 2019 instead of 2018.

I would take movies released month before the movie in question until 6th month after

On 6/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Nero said:

Just like how Avatar was and it's consecutive sequels will be?????? 

Time spent making Avatar: 12 years. Time spent making Avatar 2: 12 years. Time spent making Endgame: 1 year.

One of these is not like the other.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Time spent making Avatar: 12 years. Time spent making Avatar 2: 12 years. Time spent making Endgame: 1 year.

One of these is not like the other.

Lie. Endgame was in making since Civil war. Time spenz making A2 was partially spent on other sequels as well - for A3 all production, for others story development

edit: also didn’t Jim make some documentaries in between?

Edited by JimiQ