Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

@Pure Spirit

Jojo's sub is really good so just watch that.

Jojo has over the top style and that's it's charm, aswell as the battles being intricate. It's just really damn cool.

It just keeps getting better, it currently has 8 parts. Some parts are slow burners compared to others but all of them are great in their own right, they find ways to change it up and keep the series fresh.

05f5cc0239da9563efedf9f3ece36050f6435676

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Like 2

There are a few super popular shows which simply are not that special, heroe academy being one.

I wouldn't dare touch the 900 episode shows with filler as it's better to read them anyway

The best are..

Hunter x Hunter

JoJo

Yu yYu hakusho

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

There are a few super popular shows which simply are not that special, heroe academy being one.

I wouldn't dare touch the 900 episode shows with filler as it's better to read them anyway

The best are..

Hunter x Hunter

JoJo

Yu yYu hakusho

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

One Piece and Heroes Academy are not on the same level at all, One Piece is waaaaay better (and I like Heroes Academy). One Piece is a lot more like a Hunter x Hunter that just keeps going and going instead of disappearing after bugland. The anime actually has very little filler compared to stuff like Naruto (11% or so?), the real problem is it's a weekly anime that's not allowed to catch up to the manga so sometimes they overly stretch out panels from the manga or do long reaction shots (or long episode recaps but fortunately you can skip those). The weakest arcs are mostly near the beginning and they are more on the level of stuff like Heroes Academy so it's not like they're awful, they just aren't to the level of the rest of the series.

One Piece does keep switching it up btw, except for its very weakest arcs it always does something fresh for each new arc. It's better than it ever has been. It's done horror, it's done murder mystery, it's done Alice in Wonderland, it's done a prison breakout, it's done all out war, and now it looks to be doing a "samurai" arc. Each arc is pretty well-contained, they don't have the same characters for each arc, usually more than half the characters are swapped out for each arc, some arcs only have a single individual from the original crew, there have even been fantastic mini-arcs that don't have any of the straw hat characters at all but exist solely for the villain.

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

One Piece and Heroes Academy are not on the same level at all, One Piece is waaaaay better (and I like Heroes Academy). One Piece is a lot more like a Hunter x Hunter that just keeps going and going instead of disappearing after bugland. The anime actually has very little filler compared to stuff like Naruto (11% or so?), the real problem is it's a weekly anime that's not allowed to catch up to the manga so sometimes they overly stretch out panels from the manga or do long reaction shots (or long episode recaps but fortunately you can skip those). The weakest arcs are mostly near the beginning and they are more on the level of stuff like Heroes Academy so it's not like they're awful, they just aren't to the level of the rest of the series.

One Piece does keep switching it up btw, except for its very weakest arcs it always does something fresh for each new arc. It's better than it ever has been. It's done horror, it's done murder mystery, it's done Alice in Wonderland, it's done a prison breakout, it's done all out war, and now it looks to be doing a "samurai" arc. Each arc is pretty well-contained, they don't have the same characters for each arc, usually more than half the characters are swapped out for each arc, some arcs only have a single individual from the original crew, there have even been fantastic mini-arcs that don't have any of the straw hat characters at all but exist solely for the villain.

I've read all of One Piece, it's great.

I meant for things like One Piece/ Naruto I would only ever read them (and have).

Naruto was good but peaked about 1/3rd of the way through and got a bit stale.

One Piece has loads of great moments and has big heart but for me it's just not as special as HxH or Jojo.

The ones I think are generic/not special (esstentially the MCU of battle manga).

Hero Acad

Fairy Tale

Blue Exorcist

Soul Eater

Food Wars

Magi

The sort of ones which are popular at the time but are forgotten because they lacked something special or were just flat out generic. Sorta like the MCU again.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

I've been meaning to watch One Piece, it's just the sheer number of episodes seems so daunting.

read it instead, then watch your favourite moments on youtube

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I've read all of One Piece, it's great.

I meant for things like One Piece/ Naruto I would only ever read them (and have).

Naruto was good but peaked about 1/3rd of the way through and got a bit stale.

One Piece has loads of great moments and has big heart but for me it's just not as special as HxH or Jojo.

The ones I think are generic/not special (esstentially the MCU of battle manga).

Hero Acad

Fairy Tale

Blue Exorcist

Soul Eater

Food Wars

Magi

The sort of ones which are popular at the time but are forgotten because they lacked something special or were just flat out generic. Sorta like the MCU again.

I’m just mad that HxH kind of disappeared. Episode for episode I’d agree it punches above One Piece in world building but unfortunately it’s way shorter. I wanted more so badly. Should I pick up the manga?

I plan on watching Naruto-kai at some point which is only 74 episodes or something. Basically all the fat edited out. 

@Nerfy you could try onepace.net which is basically One Piece minus all the fat/filler/flashbacks. The biggest barrier to entry IMO is the long Usopp introduction arc which is one of the show’s weakest arcs overall and introduces a wacky looking character who isn’t very likeable (at first). I almost gave up the show right there, but I’m glad I didn’t. Finish the Arlong Park arc before judging the style of the show. Finish Alabaster Kingdom before judging the world building aspects.

I can’t wait to start watching JoJo. @IronJimbo what’s the best place to stream it? Are there any fan edits you’d recommend? Should I start with the 1987 beginning? Dub or sub? (Edit: nevermind I see you said sub) 

I wish I knew about onepace.net before starting One Piece. Although there is one excellent filler arc which was so good I thought it was canon, try to fit that arc in if you can, it’s called the G8 arc... it was so good that Oda unofficially made it canon.

Totally agree on the MCU=Heroes Academy. Both soooo generic even if they’re done competently and have a lot of fans. I would’ve said Code Geass but as sloppy a mess as that is, it at least has its own style.

EDIT: sorry, long posts from my phone are hard :) 

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1

@Thanos Legion it's not hilarious. Naruto is better in characterization than Luffy. I don't know why you dislike Naruto. Also when I talk about Naruto , it includes Naruto Shippuden as well. Sure the Sasuke stuff is not great. He becomes so generic and predictable but what makes Naruto great is Naruto himself. Also the fight scenes when he goes into sage mode are pretty epic. I have watched more than 200 anime. I also watched Bleach but it was meh after the Soul Society arc. Fairy Tail is way too cheesy. My top anime series

1. Code Geass R1 and R2. Lelouch is the best protagonist ever. 

2. Hunter x Hunter. Best action anime ever. I so want to see Hisoka va Chrollo fight and Hisoka murdering spiders.

3. Naruto - I already mentioned but Naruto makes you cry. 

4. One Punch Man. There's not much to say when Saitama is there. S2 sucks

5. One Piece - I don't really like Puffy but the adventures are amazing and so looking forward to 5th gear.

6 .Tokyo Ghoul. Manga is way better. Except season 1 all other seasons are shit. Unravel is the best opening ever.

7. Yu Yu Hakusho. Well this the 2nd best action anime ever.

8. Parasyte - This one's a guilty pleasure. MadHouse rocks

9. Baccano - Well it's classic and it's just brilliant. 

10. Hellsing Ultimate - When you have Alucard the best amazing vampire ever, World War setting and Nazis what more do you want. 

Except top 4 all others can change rank. I have many favourite anime but the list will be too long. 

Edited by Nero
  • Like 1

@Pure Spirit all of JoJo is on Crunchyroll I believe, and you can certainly find it on... other websites as well. It doesn't need a fan edit because the anime adaptation started in 2012, so it's been adapting the manga in pieces and has no filler to speak of. Don't know the episode count off the top of my head, but it's like 140-150 now or something? It's a seasonal series.

As for Naruto, my issue with the character comes down to the fact that he is a character of contradictions, and not in a compelling way. He's sold to the audience as a ne'er do well who has to work hard to catch up to his peers, when in reality he is the son of the greatest ninja who ever lived and has an all powerful demon inside him. He wanted to become Hokage because he recognized the corruption of the rulers of the world, yet he enables the same system of military state government that recruits child soldiers. 

Also, Talk No Jutsu is a meme but it's a meme for a good reason. Gets tiring after a while how often Naruto will give his great speech and wow his enemy and all people watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

@Thanos Legion it's not hilarious. Naruto is better in characterization than Luffy. I don't know why you dislike Naruto. Also when I talk about Naruto , it includes Naruto Shippuden as well. Sure the Sasuke stuff is not great. He becomes so generic and predictable but what makes Naruto great is Naruto himself. Also the fight scenes when he goes into sage mode are pretty epic. I have watched more than 200 anime. I also watched Bleach but it was meh after the Soul Society arc. Fairy Tail is way too cheesy. My top anime series

1. Code Geass R1 and R2. Lelouch is the best protagonist ever. 

2. Hunter x Hunter. Best action anime ever. I so want to see Hisoka va Chrollo fight and Hisoka murdering spiders.

3. Naruto - I already mentioned but Naruto makes you cry. 

4. One Punch Man. There's not much to say when Saitama is there. S2 sucks

5. One Piece - I don't really like Puffy but the adventures are amazing and so looking forward to 5th gear.

6 .Tokyo Ghoul. Manga is way better. Except season 1 all other seasons are shit. Unravel is the best opening ever.

7. Yu Yu Hakusho. Well this the 2nd best action anime ever.

8. Parasyte - This one's a guilty pleasure. MadHouse rocks

9. Baccano - Well it's classic and it's just brilliant. 

10. Hellsing Ultimate - When you have Alucard the best amazing vampire ever, World War setting and Nazis what more do you want. 

Except top 4 all others can change rank. I have many favourite anime but the list will be too long. 

To me, Code Geass is like a parody of anime, I will never understand the absolute acclaim it gets, it’s like they threw everything that attracts people to anime in a blender and Code Geass is the result. It had some things that worked and many things that didn’t, especially the odd characterization and confusing fights. Most of the stuff that did work was a direct ripoff of Death Note. More power to you if you liked it, I’ll say at least it finished and tried to say something meaningful, and it has some good moments. It’s not the worst anime you could put as your favorite and I won’t hold it against you. ;) 

You seem to watch anime for different reasons than me, the fights in One Piece aren’t the main reason I enjoy it, couldn’t care less about 5th gear, as far as action goes I’m more excited to see Sanji+Raid suit and Zoro do his thing. As much as I like rubber boy, Luffy is often less like a character and more like a narrative device or even just the physical embodiment of faith and determination and dreams to drive the adventure forward. For example, the real story of Luffy vs Katakuri was Katakuri’s growth, not Luffy’s “snake man.” Additionally, for me, One Piece is about the worldbuilding, the intricate mechanics of each arc that tie everything together, and huge cast of wholly enjoyable and unique characters being thrown into mystery and chaos, in a world that feels real.

Based on your list I’m surprised AoT isn’t there.

my top 5 is something like:

one piece

death note

attack on titan

fma:b

hunter x hunter

(not in any particular order although FMA:B is probably the best episode for episode, cramming so much awesomeness into a relatively short series)

Edited by Pure Spirit

Baccano #1. Just wish they would adapt the rest of the light novels, great world.    

OnePace really helps with avoiding the filler/dragged out reaction shot timekilling, but I’ll echo G8 as a worthwhile filler arc.

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I’m just mad that HxH kind of disappeared. Episode for episode I’d agree it punches above One Piece in world building but unfortunately it’s way shorter. I wanted more so badly. Should I pick up the manga?

I plan on watching Naruto-kai at some point which is only 74 episodes or something. Basically all the fat edited out. 

@Nerfy you could try onepace.net which is basically One Piece minus all the fat/filler/flashbacks. The biggest barrier to entry IMO is the long Usopp introduction arc which is one of the show’s weakest arcs overall and introduces a wacky looking character who isn’t very likeable (at first). I almost gave up the show right there, but I’m glad I didn’t. Finish the Arlong Park arc before judging the style of the show. Finish Alabaster Kingdom before judging the world building aspects.

I can’t wait to start watching JoJo. @IronJimbo what’s the best place to stream it? Are there any fan edits you’d recommend? Should I start with the 1987 beginning? Dub or sub? I wish I knew about onepace.net before starting One Piece (although there is one excellent filler arc which was so good I thought it was canon, try to fit that arc in if you can, it’s called the G8 arc... it was so good that Oda unofficially made it canon).

Totally agree on the MCU=Heroes Academy. Both soooo generic even if they’re done competently and have a lot of fans. I would’ve said Code Geass but as sloppy a mess as that is, it at least has its own style.

The HxH manga will just make you sadder, it's perfect but unfinished. The author has back issues and Haitus x Haitus is the meme of the day for the last 5 years.

For jojo subbed 1080p, I watched it on crunchyroll because I had an account at the time. Dubs in general are really bad, only a few exceptions (yu yu hakusho being one).

Jojo is easy in regard to fan edits and stuff, it's a 1:1 adaption of the manga just like hunter x hunter. Just start at Part 1 episode one and make your way to the end of part 5. Then switch to the coloured manga.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

To me, Code Geass is like a parody of anime, I will never understand the absolute acclaim it gets, it’s like they threw everything that attracts people to anime in a blender and Code Geass is the result. It had some things that worked and many things that didn’t, especially the odd characterization and confusing fights. Most of the stuff that did work was a direct ripoff of Death Note. More power to you if you liked it, I’ll say at least it finished and tried to say something meaningful, and it has some good moments. It’s not the worst anime you could put as your favorite and I won’t hold it against you. ;) 

You seem to watch anime for different reasons than me, the fights in One Piece aren’t the main reason I enjoy it, couldn’t care less about 5th gear, as far as action goes I’m more excited to see Sanji+Raid suit and Zoro do his thing. As much as I like rubber boy, Luffy is often less like a character and more like a narrative device or even just the physical embodiment of faith and determination and dreams to drive the adventure forward. For example, the real story of Luffy vs Katakuri was Katakuri’s growth, not Luffy’s “snake man.” Additionally, for me, One Piece is about the worldbuilding, the intricate mechanics of each arc that tie everything together, and huge cast of wholly enjoyable and unique characters being thrown into mystery and chaos, in a world that feels real.

Based on your list I’m surprised AoT isn’t there.

my top 5 is something like:

one piece

death note

attack on titan

fma:b

hunter x hunter

(not in any particular order although FMA:B is probably the best episode for episode, cramming so much awesomeness into a relatively short series)

I like Attack On Titan too but the latest revelation in the manga and Eren going full 360 has put me off. I also like Romance anime. Top 5 are

1. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Ghost girlfriend is the best one

2. Your Lie in April - No need to say more

3. Golden Time

4. Toradora

5. Spice and Wolf

Yeah you are right . I like Code Grass for various reasons - it's opening is frickin great, he is just great unlike say Light who fails his goal or L who dies before Light, Lelouch achieves his goal . Leolouch is smart guy but he is only driven to his goal cause he wants his sister to live in a peaceful world, he makes mistakes but at the end self sacrifices for the greater goal. He is just fantastic. If you check when Code Geass was airing Lelouch was so popular is still popular but it has been subsided. Also the voice actor of the Lelouch won best male performance award for whole 3 years.