Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Suicide Squad is offfically the Twilight & the Transfomers of Warner.

What a badge of honor.

They must be so,so proud.

considering how much money twilight and transformers have made, yeah they will be proud.

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

If you were really looking at the bigger picture you'd understand that this movie made Robbie an even bigger star and a Harley Quinn solo is going to do extremely well. 

Also, for the last time I do not care about critics in the same way that you do. You believe their word on film holds value for you and should hold weight with me but it doesnt. They can be useful but they can also write things, often do, that I do not personally agree with. I often go into movies completely cold without reading thoughts from anyone on them.

I do understand Robbie is an even bigger star now than before, I just don't care. Furthermore, I don't care if a Harley Quinn solo makes money if it's a piece of shit because while I get the piece of shit, WB gets the money. Worse, they keep thinking that I want another piece of shit instead of a good movie because with all that money they're making, they can't tell the difference. 

And actually, I don't think the critics should hold weight with you because I frankly don't give a damn if they do or they don't. I was speaking of my perspective, not yours. To me, critics aren't the demons from the tenth level of hell the fans try to make them out to be when they are or when they aren't kissing the ass of whatever movie they like or dislike. They're just people with an opinion, nothing more. Finally, I was explaining something you didn't understand. That people were not moving the goal post in the case of Civil War not having a great multiplier. So let me be clear once more in case you miss it, I don't care what you think about critics but I do expect a little awareness when people say that Civil War was a well reviewed movie.

Edited by Haley Ross
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Haley Ross said:

Arlborn, I'm not looking at the movie from purely a one and done financial standpoint. On that level, SS is doing very well. No, I'm looking at a bigger picture. I'm looking at the fact that people are praising even bragging about the movie making as much as it has in spite of being critically panned. Making money alone is a very poor indicator of quality and those same people don't see that let alone comprehend it. They don't see how the DCEU is building its foundation on sand and eventually the tide will come in. Even worse, they don't see that by rewarding mediocrity, they will only receive more mediocrity. Look at the Transformers franchise for example. Their movies have only gotten progressively worse as they have made more and more money. I don't want that for the DCEU but that's what they're going to be if they or the fans in general don't see any problems with how they do things.

This is very reasonable and my favorite post from you. On the one hand, I'm glad these movies are making enough money for Warner to continue making movies from this franchise, but on the other hand, I didn't much care for Suicide Squad, and felt that even though I did like Batman v Superman, I am a little tired of the blurry-action and persistent dark scenes, and the humor in these movies are rather lacking. Good news, though, I can just watch Civil War if that's all I wanted. I'd rather these IPs go their own route, even if it's not to my exact liking, and some I will enjoy, and others, like Suicide Squad, I might not. The same goes for Marvel. I've mostly enjoyed what they've done, but I'm not going to pretend I am absolutely overjoyed by all of it. I much preferred Man of Steel and BvS over Guardians of the Galaxy even. Heck, I liked Iron Man 2 & 3 over Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly because those moves were less straight-forward and had some of the best aspects of the character from the comics.

The final message is this, if these movies are making that much money, somebody out there does enjoy them, even if it's not me. Sure, with three Green Tomatoes, even with financial success, the studio may not be super overjoyed. However, when you take a look at what has been happening with every other studio and other franchises, then I am not sure WB is that worried. Other studios have not really be producing consistent Red Tomatoes, and very few offerings come close to what BvS and Suicide Squad have done. In the end, if only Disney has Red Tomatoe giant blockbusters, and the other 5 of the big 6 are not consistently at that level, relatively, WB is killing almost all of the competition. If you're using Disney as the only standard, then, well, you're watching a lot of movies with little kids to be happy in life. Nothing wrong with that, but understand that not every body values the same standard. I really enjoyed Hands of Stone even though it has a 45% Rotten Tomato rating and will make less than 20m at the end of its run. I'm going to be pretty sad if such movies die off because of some consensus that the Pixar way is the only way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haley Ross said:

I do understand Robbie is an even bigger star now than before, I just don't care.

That's cool, maybe you should have stated that first.  We are well aware that you don't want the movies to be good because you aren't interested in them in the first place. The only thing you are interested in is stanning for Marvel.  I'm not interested in anything else you said. I brought up Civil War because Marvel fans (including you) said a bunch of BS about multipliers but dislike it when multipliers are used to judge a movie YOU like.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2016 at 6:05 PM, UrosepsisFace said:

This is unfortunate, because both Superman and the Flash aren't THAT character. The Flash we see on the CW is far more Wally West than Barry Allen, and from what I've seen from Ezra Miller, he's far more cartoon version of Wally West or even Impulse than the true Barry Allen.

That I will agree with.  But as much as I don't like Kid Flash somehow replacing Flash and being just as good, I'll take that over Bat-Flash at this point.

Superman, that we have seen in the cinematic universe, is very close to the comic version, and I believe Snyder chose the 80s version. Now, I'm open to reinterpretation.

I don't see that at all.   I just saw a brooding depressed Supes who was wondering why he should bother.   That's not Supes.

For instance, Disney and the MCU is such a success because of the hiring of comedy writer and directors and giving a Spider-Man-esque humor to every character. Thor, Cap, Iron Man, and the Hulk were not this funny in the comics I read while growing up. Hawkeye, on the other hand, is closer to being spot-on. I wouldn't mind a lighter version of Superman and the Flash, but I don't like the excuse of being more true to the comics, when instilling the lightness and humor would actually be the opposite.

Btw, Superman moping around is actually him being stoic. Fans have hated it in the comics for a few decades too. Yes, I know, we can find stellar examples that are very different, but trust me, for the most part, Mr. Stoicism is what you'd generally find in a Superman comic. Personally, I prefer the Grant Morrison version of the character, and I hope that's what we see Justice League and beyond, but Snyder's version so far is much more accurate to comic-Superman than MCU Cap is to comic-Captain-America.

I'm trying to figure where you are seeing this "comedy Cap".   Not in the three movies I've seen.

There isn't just one "tone" to Marvel movies and that's what I like about them.   Iron Man isn't the same as Cap or Thor.   Certainly nothing like GotG.   Ant-Man is the closest to the "comedy" you are talking about...but that's nothing like the Cap movies.

DC's current "one tone" thing is getting on my nerves.   Do they really all have to take place at night in the rain?    Admittedly my Superman fandom is the main reason I'm peeved.   I'm not a big fan of Batman and they turned him into another version of that.   I can only speculate that is due to the popularity of Batman.   The same guy who wanted Kevin Smith to have Superman go without the costume, never fly, and fight a giant spider must still be in charge at WB somewhere.    No wonder writers have a hard time with these movies.   They don't suddenly turn into bad writers out of nowhere.

On 8/27/2016 at 9:58 PM, Johnny Tran said:

Super Marvel fans are hilarious because of all the moving of the goalposts and hypocrisy. I like both Marvel and DC movies but the people who are super pro-Marvel are just crazy. 

I would give the edge to DC fan in the wacky department.   

Remember when the word of critics was an important and often cited standard to be shouted often from the rooftops?    That was when critics said good things about DC movies.   Now the same fans that used to brag about critics nonstop (you seriously could not stop them) are claiming critics are biased against DC movies and...taking bribes from Marvel.   Yeah...real sane bunch.  No hypocrisy there. ;) 

And the recent "Marvel sucks" chant at a premier for a DC movie?   I've never heard about Marvel fans doing that.

• Like 9

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, Haley Ross said:

It's the fans being proud that scares me.

Why? Their fans for a reason: they like the movies coming out. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and they are perfectly legit. Now before you say something along the lines of "they are crap, they have poor taste, they like crap" just remember: there's likely a movie you like that they and most people could say the same about. Don't cast stones, respect people, and realize that some people really did like MoS, BvS, and SS and are excited for the future movies. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

some people really did like MoS, BvS, and SS and are excited for the future movies. :)

This is very true but even then like with me,  I really enjoyed Man of Steel, thought BvS was a mess (but then enjoyed the UC) and did not really like SS all that much.  Despite that, I'm still excited for future movies because there are a lot of characters that I felt they did a great job with and would like to see those versions in later films with different directors etc.   I am looking forward to all of the possibilities.

10 minutes ago, BKB LOVES HILLARY said:

Isn't this the one you got an A+ on though??? Fuck, you could've used this site as an example to get the paper done.. :rofl:

No, my essay had to be about something entirely different; this is just an example used in my textbook

• Like 1

The first 30 minutes of Suicide Squad, I was like damn, make it fucking stop, this is torture.

I can't believe some creative people thought this was cool or great filmmaking or interesting or remotely good.

It was a freaking video game with a Spotify account and a sane/creative 12 yo would have been ashamed to have come up with this.

DC, have some decency and respect yourself.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So who are DC's mightiest facing off against in Justice League?  A Balrog?

well they obviously set up..I'll put into spoilers just in case

Spoiler

Darkseid,

which may not show up in the first JL film, but that character is definitely the big baddie at some point

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Why? Their fans for a reason: they like the movies coming out. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and they are perfectly legit. Now before you say something along the lines of "they are crap, they have poor taste, they like crap" just remember: there's likely a movie you like that they and most people could say the same about. Don't cast stones, respect people, and realize that some people really did like MoS, BvS, and SS and are excited for the future movies. :)

The difference between me and them Water Bottle is that I don't tell the critics to go to hell when they have a different point of view than mine. I don't get behind ridiculous conspiracy theories that critics from all over decided to collaborate together just to put down DC movies or even more ridiculous petitions to get Rotten Tomatoes. I don't take pride in or brag about how the only good thing a movie is doing is making money because like I said, that only reinforces that we're going to get more bad movies. When you can make stupid decisions and still make lots of money, you'll inevitably lose sight of what a good decision is or its importance. They're excited for future mediocrity and they'll get it. You'll forgive me if I don't join in eating a bowl of shit and calling it chili.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

The difference between me and them Water Bottle is that I don't tell the critics to go to hell when they have a different point of view than mine. I don't get behind ridiculous conspiracy theories that critics from all over decided to collaborate together just to put down DC movies or even more ridiculous petitions to get Rotten Tomatoes. I don't take pride in or brag about how the only good thing a movie is doing is making money because like I said, that only reinforces that we're going to get more bad movies. When you can make stupid decisions and still make lots of money, you'll inevitably lose sight of what a good decision is or its importance. They're excited for future mediocrity and they'll get it. You'll forgive me if I don't join in eating a bowl of shit and calling it chili.

56147738.jpg

• Like 5