Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, Hades said:

Talks are now dead huh... That was a scary few minutes. Someone must have reminded the ageing FoX head that James Cameron has started working on the Avatar Sequels 

It's happening. If anything, the fact that the stocks of both companies went up should be more than enough to alert the more savvy that yes, it's still developing and it's probably happening. It's benefical for both, regardless whatever dog movie fans have in this fight. 

I really hope the deal won't be made...If Fox is so desperate to sell, than sell FF and X-men to Disney (that way fanboys will finally stop whining) and sell all the other properties to other studios (so Cameron still gets to make the movies he envisions and other beloved franchises won't be cookie cutter formulated). 

New developments, and it's getting more obvious by the hours that yes this is happening, why the market went crazy for Fox and Disney stocks and how Disney buying Fox simply makes sense:

Earlier Monday, U.K. regulator Ofcom censured the Fox News operation for violating “impartiality rules” with primetime shows hosted by Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. Fox News was pulled off the air in the U.K. in August by Sky, citing its tiny audience. But the rebuke from Ofcom is seen as more evidence that regulators are taking a dim view of Fox’s full-fledged Sky takeover.

CNBC reported that in considering a sale to Disney, the Murdochs believe a smaller operation more focused on news and sports might carve out a more competitive niche. At present, 21st Century Fox is still a heavyweight industry player but it is dwarfed in size by Comcast-NBCUniversal, Disney, and the pending AT&T-Time Warner union. CNBC reported the Murdochs are concerned that 21st Century Fox is unable to achieve the global scale that traditional media giants need to stay competitive with the tech giants that have been actively diving into content and distribution: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google.

For Disney, the acquisition as reported would strengthen its market share in film — which is already considerable thanks to the Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm banners — and beef up its TV content production activity. Fox’s film and TV vault would also be a boon to the standalone entertainment streaming service that Disney plans to launch in 2019. Moreover, Fox has a much more significant presence in international TV than Disney through its portfolio of 300-plus channels across Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East.

Even if Fox’s Sky acquisition is ultimately nixed, Fox’s existing 39% interest in Sky would bolster Disney’s international TV footprint.

Source: http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/21st-century-fox-disney-sale-talks-stock-1202607912/

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

New developments, and it's getting more obvious by the hours that yes this is happening, why the market went crazy for Fox and Disney stocks and how Disney buying Fox simply makes sense:

Source: http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/21st-century-fox-disney-sale-talks-stock-1202607912/

Those aren't new developments. That's Variety literally just saying that a story broke on CNBC.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Time for some wakeup music:

Unless Fox's value tanks and its market share dwindles, any purchase of it by any other major film entertainment conglomerate will get KO'd by antitrust regulations.

Disney has already rewritten copyright laws, this means nothing to them. Especially at the moment in the US where antitrust "regulation" is a distant memory (banks, airlines, cable...). After all, the Comcast acquisition of TimeWarner is even worse and it looks like it is happening.

Edited by MrGlass2

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Disney has already rewritten copyright laws, this means nothing to them. Especially at the moment in the US where antitrust "regulation" is a distant memory (banks, airlines, cable...). After all, the Comcast acquisition of TimeWarner is even worse and it looks like it is happening.

????

I think you mean AT&T. The Comcast one fell through a while back before Universal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeastByTheBay said:

????

I think you mean AT&T. The Comcast one fell through a while back before Universal 

Right, AT&T. Interestingly Comcast tried to buy Time Warner Cable just a few years ago and it was opposed by the DOJ precisely because of antitrust regulation.

And today we can trust the Trump administration to fight megacorporations just as hard. :insane:

I doubt a sale will happen unless Fox is in a really desperate situation. But just going off Twitter, I find it interesting that while most discussions are on the comic books, there’s also interest in Eragon remakes. Even Christopher Paolini tweeted about it. It’d be great to see another Eragon movie, though I did like parts of the first one. If they can bring back Chronicles of Narnia movies, Eragon should get a remake. Fox could do it...but if they won’t, they should allow someone else to. 

Just now, Deja23 said:

I doubt a sale will happen unless Fox is in a really desperate situation. But just going off Twitter, I find it interesting that while most discussions are on the comic books, there’s also interest in Eragon remakes. Even Christopher Paolini tweeted about it. It’d be great to see another Eragon movie, though I did like parts of the first one. If they can bring back Chronicles of Narnia movies, Eragon should get a remake. Fox could do it...but if they won’t, they should allow someone else to. 

People are thinking movie studios, when it's SO MUCH MORE than that. It's not about being desperate. Neither companies are desperate. The thing is that with big conglomerates merging, the pairing of Disney and Fox just makes sense. I can't explain business this season as well as I could try in Portuguese, but we are probably getting a more in depth analysis of what is going on and why Fox would do that not being desperate at all. 

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

People are thinking movie studios, when it's SO MUCH MORE than that. It's not about being desperate. Neither companies are desperate. The thing is that with big conglomerates merging, the pairing of Disney and Fox just makes sense. I can't explain business this season as well as I could try in Portuguese, but we are probably getting a more in depth analysis of what is going on and why Fox would do that not being desperate at all. 

...no, it doesn't. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

...no, it doesn't. :lol: 

Fox at present is in the midst of a prolonged regulatory review in the U.K. to buyout the remaining 61% in European satcaster Sky that it does not already own. Word of the Disney sale talks could indicate a lack of confidence among the Murdochs that the acquisition will pass muster with regulators who have long wrestled with Murdochs’ influence over U.K. media.

Earlier Monday, U.K. regulator Ofcom censured the Fox News operation for violating “impartiality rules” with primetime shows hosted by Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. Fox News was pulled off the air in the U.K. in August by Sky, citing its tiny audience. But the rebuke from Ofcom is seen as more evidence that regulators are taking a dim view of Fox’s full-fledged Sky takeover.

CNBC reported that in considering a sale to Disney, the Murdochs believe a smaller operation more focused on news and sports might carve out a more competitive niche. At present, 21st Century Fox is still a heavyweight industry player but it is dwarfed in size by Comcast-NBCUniversal, Disney, and the pending AT&T-Time Warner union. CNBC reported the Murdochs are concerned that 21st Century Fox is unable to achieve the global scale that traditional media giants need to stay competitive with the tech giants that have been actively diving into content and distribution: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google.

For Disney, the acquisition as reported would strengthen its market share in film — which is already considerable thanks to the Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm banners — and beef up its TV content production activity. Fox’s film and TV vault would also be a boon to the standalone entertainment streaming service that Disney plans to launch in 2019. Moreover, Fox has a much more significant presence in international TV than Disney through its portfolio of 300-plus channels across Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East.

Even if Fox’s Sky acquisition is ultimately nixed, Fox’s existing 39% interest in Sky would bolster Disney’s international TV footprint.

Here's an explanation on why it makes sense for Fox and Disney. You can try to wrap your head around that or buy Tele's contrarian non-sense. Yes, I very much think this is happening, and it's happening pretty soon. 

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here's an explanation on why it makes sense for Fox and Disney. You can try to wrap your head around that or buy Tele's contrarian non-sense. Yes, I very much think this is happening, and it's happening pretty soon. 

Please wake up and join the world where you don't buy into mad spin. This is the equivalent of MBA dudes excitedly playing fantasy acquisition -- but just like sports fans coming up with "it makes sense" for their team to trade for various superstars -- it doesn't have any particular bearing on reality.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Please wake up and join the world where you don't buy into mad spin. This is the equivalent of MBA dudes excitedly playing fantasy acquisition -- but just like sports fans coming up with "it makes sense" for their team to trade for various superstars -- it doesn't have any particular bearing on reality.

Alright then, let's see what happens. :P