grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

Just now, filmlover said:

Your mind is in Disturbia
It's like the darkness is the light
Disturbia
Am I scaring you tonight
Your mind is in Disturbia
Ain't used to what you like
Disturbia
Disturbia

Im not even trying to start anything, but like have they seen Rihanna try to act in her music videos? Or anything actually. Its awful. She just sticks out like a sore thumb in that cast. 

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Rihanna tried to act in Battleship.

And she was awful. So why did she get cast in this film? I'm not going to turn this into a thread similar to ghostbusters but if they were looking to fulfill their POC member in the cast, there are better female actresses in Hollywood who can actually act and are more deserving. 

• Like 2

Rihanna is fine.  She's not the go to in this film.  I mean, Don Cheadle and Bernie Mac didn't have to do much either.  The leads are the ones that will carry this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

And she was awful. So why did she get cast in this film? I'm not going to turn this into a thread similar to ghostbusters but if they were looking to fulfill their POC member in the cast, there are better female actresses in Hollywood who can actually act and are more deserving. 

28 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Rihanna is fine.  She's not the go to in this film.  I mean, Don Cheadle and Bernie Mac didn't have to do much either.  The leads are the ones that will carry this.

Why people act like Rihanna is the sole POC in this cast? Let alone the "token" black actress to fulfill a quota?

Mindy-Kaling.jpg

Mindy Kaling is black and she's a talented actress.

3 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Why people act like Rihanna is the sole POC in this cast? Let alone the "token" black actress to fulfill a quota?

Mindy-Kaling.jpg

She's actually Indian, not black. And yes she's very talented. There are also very talented black actresses as well. Rihanna is not one of them. 

Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York forOcean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullockand Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina

I'm in for this, although on that list of cast members, I don't care for anyone after Bullock, Blanchett and Hathaway.  but I'll get past those others to see the film

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Mindy-Kaling.jpg

Mindy Kaling is South Indian. My wife's a huge fan, we met her at an Indian restaurant in LA a couple of years ago, she was nice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

She's actually Indian, not black. And yes she's very talented. There are also very talented black actresses as well. Rihanna is not one of them. 

giphy.gif

(That reminds me of my racist charcoal black indian aunt who get all riled up when you say she's black even though my creole mum is considered black despite being way lighter than her...because obviously only african descent people can be black skinned...So "black" is not a color but an ethnic origin marker now?!...So that means I'm part-black, part-Indian then even though both parents are black-skinned...Geez the stupidity...)

Edited by dashrendar44

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

giphy.gif

(That reminds me of my racist charcoal black indian aunt who get all riled up when you say she's black even though my creole mum is considered black despite being way lighter than her...because obviously only african descent people can be black skinned...So "black" is not a color but an ethnic origin marker...So that means I'm part-black, part-Indian then even though both parents are black-skinned...Geez the stupidity...)

You may not like it, but that is how it is. Even on her show, she refers to herself as "brown", in India the preferred usage is dark-skinned or dark-complexioned which is what is specified in matrimonial ads.