grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

The Mara-Affleck casting has more to do with them both being the less famous sibling. Also, the above is making the assumption that they are sticking to the exact characters of Ocean's 11 (which probably won't be the case). Hence, if you're going to have the Bernie Mac character make a scene about prejudice against black people, probably should be played by a black person. 

http://www.tracking-board.com/exclusive-jennifer-lawrence-and-gary-ross-look-to-re-team-on-oceans-11-reboot/

The female-centric OCEAN’S 11 REBOOT might be on the verge of making its next big score, as we’re hearing thatX-Men: Apocalypse star Jennifer Lawrence is being eyed for a role opposite Sandra Bullock in the Warner Bros.caper.

This would re-team Lawrence with her Hunger Games writer-director Gary Ross, who is set to helm the reboot and is penning the screenplay with Queen and Country scribe Olivia Milch. Fans have been suggesting the Lawrence-Ross re-teaming as a possibility for months, but now it looks like early discussions are underway to bring Lawrence on board.

Sources reveal that the story, which is expected to be a continuation of the mega-successful George Clooney-led trilogy, centers around Bullock’s character, who plays an ex-con and Danny Ocean’s sister. With a team of thieves, she sets out of steal a necklace from the Met Ball and frame a crooked gallery owner. Lawrence would play Bullock’s right-hand woman.

On 11/2/2015 at 2:08 AM, Jessie said:

This is stupid, Oceans 11 was great because it had a great cast, changing the cast and leaving the same name just doesn't get me excited.

If the articles saying Jen was going to take the "right hand woman" role corresponding to Brad Pitt were true  this would not be a reboot but a spin-off, leaving the door open for combinations of joint casting going forward.  Sandra is supposed to be Cloony's character's sister.  But Gossip Cop said they spoke to Jen's 'people and they said she is not in any such talks.

for my 2 cents, when you have that many leads, there should be both male and female main characters unless there is a specific reason not to, like the story taking place in a convent. 

Edited by trifle

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

[F]or my 2 cents, when you have that many leads, there should be both male and female main characters unless there is a specific reason not to, like the story taking place in a convent. 

Why is it that these questions never ever come up whenever we get the millionth movie, original or remake, starring 100 % white men? Nobody ever says, "Why is this movie about ten white dudes? There should be both male and female main characters of all races unless there is a specific reason not to, like the story taking place in the white wing of a prison"...

Seriously...the status quo (white straight dudes) is never questioned, but make an all-female (or all black or all Asians) superhero team, or a movie about a black family, or heck, try to make an Avengers movie with say, 50 % female Avengers, and all of a sudden it's "there should be a GOOD, SPECIFIC reason for all these minorities"...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Why is it that these questions never ever come up whenever we get the millionth movie, original or remake, starring 100 % white men? Nobody ever says, "Why is this movie about ten white dudes? There should be both male and female main characters of all races unless there is a specific reason not to, like the story taking place in the white wing of a prison"...

Seriously...the status quo (white straight dudes) is never questioned, but make an all-female (or all black or all Asians) superhero team, or a movie about a black family, or heck, try to make an Avengers movie with say, 50 % female Avengers, and all of a sudden it's "there should be a GOOD, SPECIFIC reason for all these minorities"...

Yeah, and I think that is starting, as in TFA, and started a while back, as in Smallville, meaning progress is slow. I strongly suspect all the leads will not be white.  (Heck, wasn't Sammy Davis Jr in the original Rat Pack version?) But it seems to me that inclusiveness being the goal, going to the opposite extreme isn't helpful.  Also, it seems like a lecture, which I doubt helps at the box office.  ALSO, it almost implies that men and women can't be real friends, which has its own problems.  Beyond that, I just personally prefer to watch a mix.  It is more realistic, imho. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 5:08 AM, Jessie said:

This is stupid, Oceans 11 was great because it had a great cast, changing the cast and leaving the same name just doesn't get me excited.

No one tell this to Clooney. Replacing Sinatra and the Ratpack is a terrible idea.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that watches a movie for what it is regardless of the actors skin colour or gender? 

IIRC 2 out of last years 3 highest grossing WW movies (TFA & F7) had non-white-male leads. IMO Hollywood gives much better representation to minorities than any other movie industry in the world. There are "Asian" minorities within India but you'd be hard pressed to find them in any Bollywood movie. There are plenty of black people in the Middle East yet you'd mostly see only Caucasian Arabs in Arabic films. Compared to other parts of the world, Western countries tend to give better representation to minorities especially in the entertainment industry. I don't see where all the hate comes from. 

Do I mind seeing more movies with female leads? Not at all. Heck as a Jurassic Park fan I wouldn't mind if JP5 had an exclusively female lead cast. And the thing I liked the most about Star Wars 7 was that it had a female lead for a change. But remaking popular movies (that don't really need a remake) with female leads just feels forced IMO. 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But as was pointed out, the recent OCEAN'S 11 is itself a remake of a popular movie that didn't really need a remake.

That only makes this twice as unnecessary if it's already been remade recently. 

But I don't write off a movie before even seeing it so I'm still hoping they come up with something different and interesting (besides the obvious differences in casting). I for one want to see women in more important roles in original movies or sequels rather than in remakes just for the sake of appropriation.