grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

Oh, and uh...

Spoiler

Damon's not in this (unless I missed him...and I think the audience would have reacted).  So they must have cut that out.  But there may be a couple of other appearances...

There are a host of other celebrity cameos, though, many from the fashion world.  My only real big problem with all this was that not one of them is allowed to be self-referential.  Even Hathaway could have played 'herself,' for instance...but maybe that was a step too insular, even for her. 

• ...wtf 1

I'm counting 10 fresh and 6 rotten reviews on RT right now, for 63% fresh. None of the negative reviews are scathing, so it is looking like a mixed positive reaction so far. Seems as if the director is the weak point, while the cast elevates the film, according to critics. 

I was seeing this for the cast basically no matter what. Will be interesting to see what general audiences make of the film. I found Ocean's 12 and 13 to be fun, enjoyable rides, even if not quite as cool as the original. If this is generally a fun ride with a charismatic group, I'll be happy watching Bullock, Paulson, Hathaway, Blanchett, et al, on screen.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Starts with a 60 on MC based on 9 reviews. 

Based on reviews I've read so far seems like the cast elevates the material....which I mean no offense isn't that why folks are showing up for this (and according to my fiancé "The Met Gala!! Fashions biggest night you dummy!") 

I expected nothing less from this cast but it would have been nice to have stronger material.  It sounds like it could have used Soderbergh. I loved what he did recently with Logan Lucky.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I expected nothing less from this cast but it would have been nice to have stronger material.  It sounds like it could have used Soderbergh

I mean don't get be wrong im disappointed that the story sounds weak especially because it could have been great. I'm just happy that the cast is getting great reviews 

And I agree that Soderbergh was probably needed for this. Hopefully he gets brought on for a sequel and gives the ladies a better direction to work with 

9 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Article from just earlier today: 

Sandra Bullock: I almost quit acting over Hollywood sexism

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2018/06/05/sandra-bullock-i-almost-quit-acting-over-hollywood-sexism.html

So glad she didn't quit. I appreciate her as a person and an actress quite a bit.

Peace,

Mike

But “we do live in a capitalist society, so it’s like your worth is valued in monetary terms. You know what the poster’s going to look like, and you’re not being paid the same as the person you’ve got equal billing and screen time with, and you think, ‘Actually, that’s not right.’ ”

That quote is from Cate Blanchett from this article and it makes me wonder if she got paid the same as Bullock.  I have my doubts. B)

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

74%

With how many reviews?  Have they added more?

RT is such a mess, you can refresh the screen and get a different % and amount of reviews each time, even the sidebar number differs from the main one. 

Edit: Just got this

75%
Average Rating: 6.4/10
Reviews Counted: 33
Fresh: 25
Rotten: 8
Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

With how many reviews?  Have they added more?

RT is such a mess, you can refresh the screen and get a different % and amount of reviews each time, even the sidebar number differs from the main one. 

32 total

24-8

"The cast has crackling chemistry"

"We want to spend time with these characters"

"makes you yearn for three more hours with its impossibly charismatic crew"

"It's made watchable thanks to the cast"

"delivers a fun, likeable romp built on the charm and charisma of its cast"

"there is real pleasure to derive from the (incredibly) rare sight of eight female actors delighting in one another's company"

"Bullock and Co. are a pack of devious treasures who can ransack our shindig anytime"

The strong upside looks to be the cast. Otherwise, it seems generally most critics found it was fun, but at varying levels - some wishing it were more fun than it was. I'm generally interested in reviews to A) find my favourite reviewers and to see what they think, to help assess how I might enjoy the film, and B) to assess how general audiences are likely to react to the film. At this point, it seems like this will be a general crowdpleaser - how much of a crowdpleaser is the question, perhaps.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

And we have another early consensus

Critics Consensus: Ocean's 8isn't quite as smooth as its predecessors, but still has enough cast chemistry and flair to enjoyably lift the price of a ticket from filmgoers up for an undemanding caper.

Looks like some RT intern is eager today.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Critics Consensus: Ocean's 8isn't quite as smooth as its predecessors, but still has enough cast chemistry and flair to enjoyably lift the price of a ticket from filmgoers up for an undemanding caper.

Way too premature. They could've waited until they at least hit 80 reviews.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's gonna end up fresh. no need to wait lol

76% now

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

C'mon, only O11 is good.

• Like 1