grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

What I want to know is 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The movie begins and ends with her at his tomb, and a couple of references throughout imply that in no way whatsoever does she believe he's actually dead...  But he doesn't show up -- and kudos to them in keeping this fully Bullock's movie, and rightly so.  They make you think right up until the last moment that he'll pop up...but he doesn't.  (Clooney prob said 'if there's a sequel, I'll do it.')

Edited by Macleod

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The reviews are as I expected. Still very much looking forward to seeing this this weekend.

I think it's odd how much the consensus on RT mirrors their consensus for Ghostbusters 16: it's pretty much "not as good as the original, but still a decent film," which will most likely not be enough for those who think that gender-swapping a film's concept is a travesty or a "SJW agenda" or whatever...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

And they're going absolutely nuts for Hathaway in particular, right? ;)

You tried to make a joke with @Hathawayfan,  but...

EARLY REVIEWS FOR OCEAN'S 8 CALL IT A SOLID SPINOFF POWERED BY A TALENTED CAST AND AN MVP TURN BY ANNE HATHAWAY.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/oceans-8-early-reviews-bold-fun-funny-and-elevated-by-its-killer-all-female-cast/?cmp=TWRT_EarlyReviews_Oceans9_606

B)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

11 hours ago, aabattery said:

The twist doesn't render anything meaningless. They had to convince Zeta-Jones and Vincent Cassels that they were pulling the heist on the egg so that they could get Vincent to pay their debt and so that they could get Zeta-Jones to her dad. It's convoluted, but it doesn't negate itself by any means.

Apologist. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

If Soderbergh doesn't do a potential sequel, maybe they could get Jodie Foster to direct and maybe star in it.

Her work as zero sense of humor.  Hire Kay Cannon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

Think this one needed better reviews for some of the higher end breakout predicts I've seen. Should still do pretty well

Better reviews to reach out of it's natural audience and break out I would agree, but also good enough to not loose is best quadrant/ target audience (so also agree about the still doing pretty well).

Seem like a kind of reception that will not bring anyone that had no interest and not turn away any interested.

• Like 2

I finished re-watching the trilogy last night and clearly you guys want my thoughts on them so here you go.

Eleven - Perfect movie. Every time I watch it I just end up loving it more. Straight up in my top ten of all-time.

Twelve - Not quite as slick as the first but it's aware of that and goes off and does it's own special thing. Whole thing is gloriously meta, which some people aren't on board with but they're wrong and dumb so it's fine. The heists aren't quite as enthralling as the one in O11 but the cast makes up for it. They're so much fun together. Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Thirteen - Something of a return to the formula after people couldn't handle O12, but it's a good formula. The main heist is really creative and watching it all come together is tremendously entertaining. Soderbergh goes nuts with the colours in this one. Some shots are just ENTIRELY one colour, it's crazy. So many bold primary colours slammed together. You get touches of that in the others but Soderbergh really cuts loose in this one. Good stuff. You see it a lot in some of his more recent ones like Side Effects and Magic Mike as well. I think I need to do a deeper dive into the Soderberghs now. Anywho, this one probably has the most wrinkles out of the trilogy, for me anyway. The seduction plot is kinda wack and is only saved by how much the fake nose makes me laugh (I only just noticed in this latest viewing but Damon calls the fake nose plan The Brody lmao). Cutting out Julia Roberts is pretty sad and I wanted more of Zeta-Jones, but the script doesn't really leave much room for them so I understand why but it's a bit of a shame. Still, I liked it a lot more than I remembered this go around.

After watching them all again for the whatever numberth time, I feel safe to say that this is my third favourite film trilogy ever after LotR and Before. Love all three to bits. I think Ocean's Eight is really gonna miss the energy and jazz Soderbergh brings to the table (especially because they replaced him with Gary fucking Ross) but hopefully it captures a bit of the magic that makes the first three tick.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

I finished re-watching the trilogy last night and clearly you guys want my thoughts on them so here you go.

Eleven - Perfect movie. Every time I watch it I just end up loving it more. Straight up in my top ten of all-time.

Twelve - Not quite as slick as the first but it's aware of that and goes off and does it's own special thing. Whole thing is gloriously meta, which some people aren't on board with but they're wrong and dumb so it's fine. The heists aren't quite as enthralling as the one in O11 but the cast makes up for it. They're so much fun together. Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Thirteen - Something of a return to the formula after people couldn't handle O12, but it's a good formula. The main heist is really creative and watching it all come together is tremendously entertaining. Soderbergh goes nuts with the colours in this one. Some shots are just ENTIRELY one colour, it's crazy. So many bold primary colours slammed together. You get touches of that in the others but Soderbergh really cuts loose in this one. Good stuff. You see it a lot in some of his more recent ones like Side Effects and Magic Mike as well. I think I need to do a deeper dive into the Soderberghs now. Anywho, this one probably has the most wrinkles out of the trilogy, for me anyway. The seduction plot is kinda wack and is only saved by how much the fake nose makes me laugh (I only just noticed in this latest viewing but Damon calls the fake nose plan The Brody lmao). Cutting out Julia Roberts is pretty sad and I wanted more of Zeta-Jones, but the script doesn't really leave much room for them so I understand why but it's a bit of a shame. Still, I liked it a lot more than I remembered this go around.

After watching them all again for the whatever numberth time, I feel safe to say that this is my third favourite film trilogy ever after LotR and Before. Love all three to bits. I think Ocean's Eight is really gonna miss the energy and jazz Soderbergh brings to the table (especially because they replaced him with Gary fucking Ross) but hopefully it captures a bit of the magic that makes the first three tick.

Have you ever seen the 1960 original?

• Like 1

Intresitng note:

Because Sinatra's production company was involved in the 1960 film, and Sinatra owned a piece of it. the Sinatra estate gets a percentage of that take from any film in the Ocean's franchise. The Chairman of the Board wins again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Her work as zero sense of humor.  Hire Kay Cannon.

I'd be fine with Kay Cannon, maybe if Greta Gerwig wants dip her toe into big budget films, she'd be okay as well. 

Edited by Jonwo