Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Apologist. 

There's nothing for me to apologise for. It's a great movie.

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

Think this one needed better reviews for some of the higher end breakout predicts I've seen. Should still do pretty well

Better reviews to reach out of it's natural audience and break out I would agree, but also good enough to not loose is best quadrant/ target audience (so also agree about the still doing pretty well).

Seem like a kind of reception that will not bring anyone that had no interest and not turn away any interested.

• Like 2

I finished re-watching the trilogy last night and clearly you guys want my thoughts on them so here you go.

Eleven - Perfect movie. Every time I watch it I just end up loving it more. Straight up in my top ten of all-time.

Twelve - Not quite as slick as the first but it's aware of that and goes off and does it's own special thing. Whole thing is gloriously meta, which some people aren't on board with but they're wrong and dumb so it's fine. The heists aren't quite as enthralling as the one in O11 but the cast makes up for it. They're so much fun together. Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Thirteen - Something of a return to the formula after people couldn't handle O12, but it's a good formula. The main heist is really creative and watching it all come together is tremendously entertaining. Soderbergh goes nuts with the colours in this one. Some shots are just ENTIRELY one colour, it's crazy. So many bold primary colours slammed together. You get touches of that in the others but Soderbergh really cuts loose in this one. Good stuff. You see it a lot in some of his more recent ones like Side Effects and Magic Mike as well. I think I need to do a deeper dive into the Soderberghs now. Anywho, this one probably has the most wrinkles out of the trilogy, for me anyway. The seduction plot is kinda wack and is only saved by how much the fake nose makes me laugh (I only just noticed in this latest viewing but Damon calls the fake nose plan The Brody lmao). Cutting out Julia Roberts is pretty sad and I wanted more of Zeta-Jones, but the script doesn't really leave much room for them so I understand why but it's a bit of a shame. Still, I liked it a lot more than I remembered this go around.

After watching them all again for the whatever numberth time, I feel safe to say that this is my third favourite film trilogy ever after LotR and Before. Love all three to bits. I think Ocean's Eight is really gonna miss the energy and jazz Soderbergh brings to the table (especially because they replaced him with Gary fucking Ross) but hopefully it captures a bit of the magic that makes the first three tick.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

I finished re-watching the trilogy last night and clearly you guys want my thoughts on them so here you go.

Eleven - Perfect movie. Every time I watch it I just end up loving it more. Straight up in my top ten of all-time.

Twelve - Not quite as slick as the first but it's aware of that and goes off and does it's own special thing. Whole thing is gloriously meta, which some people aren't on board with but they're wrong and dumb so it's fine. The heists aren't quite as enthralling as the one in O11 but the cast makes up for it. They're so much fun together. Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Thirteen - Something of a return to the formula after people couldn't handle O12, but it's a good formula. The main heist is really creative and watching it all come together is tremendously entertaining. Soderbergh goes nuts with the colours in this one. Some shots are just ENTIRELY one colour, it's crazy. So many bold primary colours slammed together. You get touches of that in the others but Soderbergh really cuts loose in this one. Good stuff. You see it a lot in some of his more recent ones like Side Effects and Magic Mike as well. I think I need to do a deeper dive into the Soderberghs now. Anywho, this one probably has the most wrinkles out of the trilogy, for me anyway. The seduction plot is kinda wack and is only saved by how much the fake nose makes me laugh (I only just noticed in this latest viewing but Damon calls the fake nose plan The Brody lmao). Cutting out Julia Roberts is pretty sad and I wanted more of Zeta-Jones, but the script doesn't really leave much room for them so I understand why but it's a bit of a shame. Still, I liked it a lot more than I remembered this go around.

After watching them all again for the whatever numberth time, I feel safe to say that this is my third favourite film trilogy ever after LotR and Before. Love all three to bits. I think Ocean's Eight is really gonna miss the energy and jazz Soderbergh brings to the table (especially because they replaced him with Gary fucking Ross) but hopefully it captures a bit of the magic that makes the first three tick.

Have you ever seen the 1960 original?

Intresitng note:

Because Sinatra's production company was involved in the 1960 film, and Sinatra owned a piece of it. the Sinatra estate gets a percentage of that take from any film in the Ocean's franchise. The Chairman of the Board wins again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Her work as zero sense of humor.  Hire Kay Cannon.

I'd be fine with Kay Cannon, maybe if Greta Gerwig wants dip her toe into big budget films, she'd be okay as well. 

Edited by Jonwo

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Have you ever seen the 1960 original?

Nope.

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Nope.

You really should. It set the pattern all the films in the franchise follow. And it has one of the best twist endings ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Damn, now I gotta watch all of them again, specially because you listed LOTR and Before as your favorite trilogies ever which is pretty much what I think as well.

I don't remember much about O13, but I love the other two. Good timing for a rewatch then.

Also, I'm really looking forward to your opinion on the O8 now.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Freeze frame before Pitt jumps out the window is cinematic perfection

• Like 2

Yesterday at 2pm it was at 77% with 43 reviews.

with the addition of 30 reviews overnight (73 total) its up to 78% now. 

78% with a 6.3 average      while Jurassic World 2 is at 67% with the same average rating 6.3

:hahaha:

• Like 2

Not since Black Panther have I left something and gone "People are gonna LOVE this movie," but here we go

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Not since Black Panther have I left something and gone "People are gonna LOVE this movie," but here we go

yeap, audience's rection would be GREAT

Edited by KeepItU25071906

23 hours ago, AndyK said:

79% on RT with 42 reviews.

Average rating is very low though at 6.3/10, so expect that 79% to go down.

Hmm this hasn’t transpired yet. 

79% with 76 reviews. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm this hasn’t transpired yet. 

79% with 76 reviews. 

It seems like it might stabilize around this range after all. I don't see it falling under the 75-80% range.

Similarly Jurassic World is probably staying at the 65-70% range.

76% with 79 reviews. Certified Fresh seems touch and go. I think it will end up closer to 70% looking at the average rating.

50 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

76% with 79 reviews. Certified Fresh seems touch and go. I think it will end up closer to 70% looking at the average rating.

One more review (80) and can it not be certified?