WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg14): Martian 11.4 | Goosebumps 10.21 | Spies 8.06 | Burnt 5.04 | Crisis 3.43 | Scouts 1.77

Has anyone noticed this has been an unusually bad season for adult dramas and indies, at least as far as expansion? None of them are any less palatable than past successes like No Country for Old Men or The Social Network.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

People clearly don't care one iota about watching a movie about Steve Jobs. What else can it be at this point? 

But yeah, pretty shocking it may end up a mere  2m or so ahead of Jobs in the end. 

It's just weird to me considering there's a whole "cult of Apple."

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Has anyone noticed this has been an unusually bad season for adult dramas and indies, at least as far as expansion? None of them are any less palatable than past successes like No Country for Old Men or The Social Network.

It's the oversaturation thing. We had about a dozen adult drama that should've been fairly appealing in Sep/Oct, but as a result practically none were. Except the one that dominated (The Martian). 

Sicario is maybe the most impressive one though. Managed to beat all its competition except The Martian and BoS, despite being the lowest profile, lowest budget of all the Sep/Oct adult dramas. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

This is the 4th movie on Steve Jobs after his death, including 2 documentaries. Not to mention that the book by Isaacson was a best seller, and Steve Jobs's life has been thoroughly picked apart by publications in the past few years. There is a feeling of "This movie offers nothing we don't already know". 

There is also the fact that it looked like a formulaic biopic which hit all the required biopic movie beats in the advertising. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'll see anything scripted by Sorkin and when I tried to get a couple of my friends who I would describe as definitely in the "cult" to see it with me they seemed pretty offended by what they described as inaccuracies about Jobs' life.  Maybe a lot of Jobs fans felt the same way.

Edited by Frankie

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is the 4th movie on Steve Jobs after his death, including 2 documentaries. Not to mention that the book by Isaacson was a best seller, and Steve Jobs's life has been thoroughly picked apart by publications in the past few years. There is a feeling of "This movie offers nothing we don't already know". 

There is also the fact that it looked like a formulaic biopic which hit all the required biopic movie beats in the advertising. 

Yeah, none of that helps. The marketing in particular really did make it look as generic as possible. People like Boyle and Sorkin's name mean absolutely nothing to the GA. They needed to really sell it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

37 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

35 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's the oversaturation thing. We had about a dozen adult drama that should've been fairly appealing in Sep/Oct, but as a result practically none were. Except the one that dominated (The Martian). 

Sicario is maybe the most impressive one though. Managed to beat all its competition except The Martian and BoS, despite being the lowest profile, lowest budget of all the Sep/Oct adult dramas. 

Clearly there is adult drama fatigue with so many films in the marketplace and the genre is about to die

tony-stark.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

In that case he faceplanted

You're a big guy

17 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The opening scene of TDKR is not a good scene. Between whatever the hell Nolan had Littlefinger do with his voice and mannerisms and the generally choppy execution of the bit, it does not show promise if that is what we get from a Nolan Bond film.

For you.

59 minutes ago, Frankie said:

be as definitely in the "cult" to see it with me they seemed pretty offended by what they described as inaccuracies about Jobs' life.  Maybe a lot of Jobs fans felt the same way.

Edited by Frankie

I dunna. I betcha most people just thought it didn't look very interesting. 

For all the flack Sony has gotten for their bad year, WB's has been no better, and some could argue worse. Sony will likely end up with the lower overall gross but won't loose too much since they didn't really have any big bets this year; WB, on the other hand, has a significantly costlier line-up overall that will leave them literally swimming in red ink.