WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

12 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

No way is Bond worth whole of Lucasfilm...

I think Lucas got other deals such as he is the 2nd largest share holder of Disney stock.  Plus I am guessing he gets a small percent of the Star Wars gross.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The in game purchases add up to a significant amount of money, the Candy Crush concept has been copied by other companies like Disney with their own puzzle games with in game purchases

In game purchases, it's like gambling with no chance of winning money.

• Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

Marvel definitely.

Disney probably made their investment back already and they have movies and TV planned through 2028.

Well, at the time there was a lot of criticism that Disney overpaid for Marvel. A lot of it stemming from the fact that they didn't have all the movie rights and some of the theme park rights. Those quieted down post-Avengers, which was a surprise, so the criticism is understandable.

Lucasfilm, though, definitely felt undervalued. I think it's just that Lucas wanted out of the game, so he took the deal presented as "good enough", even if it meant leaving money on the table.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Well, at the time there was a lot of criticism that Disney overpaid for Marvel. A lot of it stemming from the fact that they didn't have all the movie rights and some of the theme park rights. Those quieted down post-Avengers, which was a surprise, so the criticism is understandable.

Lucasfilm, though, definitely felt undervalued. I think it's just that Lucas wanted out of the game, so he took the deal presented as "good enough", even if it meant leaving money on the table.

I'd say they slightly overpaid for Pixar but I think they needed Pixar more than Pixar needed Disney but Cars merchandise alone likely have paid off that investment and Lasseter and Catmull rejuvenated WDAS in the process so it was worth it. 

But I agree that EON won't be up for sale for a long time if ever and MGM unless they have financial problems again likely won't sell their share either

Edited by Jonwo

Can you imagine a world where the big Disney buyouts happened differently? Pixar left and went to WB or something (but maybe stayed independent). Marvel got bought by Paramount. Lucasfilm went to Fox. Movie landscape would be hella different right now.

• Like 1

There's no point in wondering about hypotheticals; Disney is and always will be Our Overlord. ;)

Seriously, though, they'd be in trouble without the brands that they have acquired, especially if their means of compensating for hypothetically whiffing on the big acquisitions had been more failed huge-budget live action flicks like John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, and Prince of Persia (I'll bet you haven't even thought of that film's existence in at least five years, no?).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Can you imagine a world where the big Disney buyouts happened differently? Pixar left and went to WB or something (but maybe stayed independent). Marvel got bought by Paramount. Lucasfilm went to Fox. Movie landscape would be hella different right now.

Yep. And to think Disney bought all of them for about $15b combined. Honestly, each of those properties are worth at least that by themselves now, IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Iger is one sneaky son of a bitch, he had a vision & well he did it, the Disney brand portfolio is just second to none right now.

Universal was just a fluke this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Disney paid the cost to be the boss.

Now all they have to do is release movies from their big three every year to remain a top studio.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Disney paid the cost to be the boss.

Now all they have to do is release movies from their big three every year to remain a top studio.

The strategy makes so much sense with the Toys, the Theme parks etc

• Like 3

The acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm made sense because Disney had tried and failed to appeal to boys with their films and TV series, they had the girl market sown up with Disney Princesses and Disney Channel and those three appealed to boys and men especially in merchandises and the theme parks.

I reckon Katzenberg will end up selling DWA in a few years, they've sort of got out of their financial mess but I do think its days as a independent animated studio are coming to an end and it would prosper under a studio like Paramount or Warner Bros, the latter with its vast animated library would be the best fit

• Like 1

• Community Manager

So saw Spectre. Thought it was solid. Could have used some of Skyfall ' s energy as it really lagged in places.

Having said that, I think in the end cinema history will look to Spectre as the best Craig Bond film.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk