WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

i think w/ mi1 it's because 95% of the action blockbusters of the 90s are such dumb bullshit (just look at the bond movies!) that it's just a reflex. i was looking at some of the reviews and people were talking up how the plot is impossible to follow. so i guess people were dumber back then because it's like, not?

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 11

Just now, Jack Nevada said:

I feel like Big Eyes came pretty close to Waltz jumping the shark, it's such a ridiculous, mugging, scenery-chewing cartoon of a performance. 

I feel like we're about 2 years away from people looking at Waltz the same way they look at Depp

• Like 1

Not that it's worth much as anecdotal evidence, but I have never seen the local theater in D.C. as crowded for a movie on a Saturday night than Spectre tonight. Selling out every showing at least an hour and a half in advance since 6pm. This is in Georgetown, the same theater that had big time sellouts for Steve Jobs and BOS, so it skews way more adult than most theaters, but still. I've never seen it like.....this. It's unbelievable. 

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I feel like we're about 2 years away from people looking at Waltz the same way they look at Depp

Kurt Russell is clearly channeling Waltz in Hateful Eight. It seems like people get stuck redoing the role which wins them the Oscar, Pacino and Bridges being the prime examples.

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

You'd think shit like Green Hornet or Horrible Bosses 2 where he plays the same character would slow it down but nope. I bet I could IMDB him now and see like 8 movies where he's gonna play the same character again. One of them is Tarzan, I know that one

I'll take his performance in The Green Hornet over his performance in SPECTRE any day

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Kurt Russell is clearly channeling Waltz in Hateful Eight. It seems like people get stuck redoing the role which wins them the Oscar, Pacino and Bridges being the prime examples.

Bridges being stuck in the horseshit rambling cowboy clown performance for the past 5 yrs is a real tragedy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

MI2  is rotten :ohmyzod:

How can MI2 Rotten.

Really I do find all of MI2s over the top-nes quite enjoyable

Because the third act is terrible. It's all like "Hey, here's two great acts to set everything up" and then "well, I've got NO idea how to wrap this up. SET PIECE SET PIECE SET PIECE DONE!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Bridges being stuck in the horseshit rambling cowboy clown performance for the past 5 yrs is a real tragedy. 

Oh yea. At this point I'd almost prefer him to have gone Oscarless

in my memory i enjoyed mI2's over-the-topness but when i rewatched it for the new one it's straight up 20 minutes of john woo fun over the topness and 100 MINUTES OF BORING BORING BORING TOM CRUISE AND THE GIRL FROM CRASH STARING AT EACH OTHER BORING BORING

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Won't get sadder than this

But don't worry Deadpool will be cool cuz Ryan Reynolds will be doing his same garbage schtick with a stupid mask on his face

That movie was on FX today. I watched about 5 minutes and decides nope, not doing this

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think w/ mi1 it's because 95% of the action blockbusters of the 90s are such dumb bullshit (just look at the bond movies!) that it's just a reflex. i was looking at some of the reviews and people were talking up how the plot is impossible to follow. so i guess people were dumber back then because it's like, not?

I remember the "Too confusing" complaints. Never got those complaints even during first watch. The Matrix got a lot of "this shits confusing" complaints as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

He probably gave up once he realized The Big Lebowski was the only performance of his that people will ever obsess over.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

That movie was on FX today. I watched about 5 minutes and decides nope, not doing this

Watched the whole thing once. It's not even close to fun-bad, it's just slow and miserable. Reminds me of Fant4stic in a lot of ways

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Nevada said:

Oh God, I honestly don't understand why people were so taken with the Deadpool trailer. Is he going to do that fucking annoying, babyish ".. so the bad guys can't see me bleed, tee hee" voice through the whole thing?

jack you don't get it it's supposed to look like a garbage piece of trash shit for fucking asshole losers who live on reddit that's the whole appeal it will be huge 150 domestic at least.

• Like 7