WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

Just now, grim22 said:

Buried was good but just felt like it went on for too long. 127 Hours kind of stole it's thunder as well.

I love Buried, it's one of my favorite horror movies of the past five years. Glad I saw it on DVD though cause I don't know if I could've handled it on the big screen. 

I remember when Lionsgate gave Buried a platform release in late September because, if I'm not mistaken, they thought it'd be a WOM hit like Paranormal Activity. Talk about a miscalculation. (Though I'm not sure if there was any way to sell it - had it opened wide it probably would have got an F cinemascore)

Just now, damienroc said:

I don't get the Ryan Reynolds hate.

(Actually, come to think of it, the hate that pretty much any actor or actress gets is incomprehensible to me.)

No no, thats the thing: I like Ryan Reynolds, he's been really good in stuff. It's his career that's so miserable. 

3 minutes ago, damienroc said:

(Actually, come to think of it, the hate that pretty much any actor or actress gets is incomprehensible to me.)

I think Ryan Reynolds has just become the embodiment of the privileged white dude who flops over and over again but still gets more chances. 

4 minutes ago, damienroc said:

I mean I don't hate him as a person (that would be weird) but his onscreen persona just annoys me beyond belief

• Like 1

Reynolds is kinda like Colin Farrell but Farrell has been doing better recently with smaller character roles in mainstream movies (like Saving Mr. Banks) and compelling lead roles in oddball arthouse movies (I saw The Lobster last week and he's great in it). Haven't seen him in True Detective but still it's a high-profile role even if the season was extremely divisive. RR could do worse than that once he finally realizes he isn't gonna be a star. 

3 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

I think Ryan Reynolds has just become the embodiment of the privileged white dude who flops over and over again but still gets more chances. 

He's not doing that much that's high profile anymore. Since RIPD three of his four films have been launched in limited release. And even Self/Less only carried a budget of $26m. Deadpool's bigger, yeah, but it's hardly top tier.

Ryan Reynolds has two modes. Quiet guy where he undersells and can never seem to make his character interesting or underachieving manbaby where he plays it super broad and loud like a Looney Tunes character. Even when people list off his "good performances" they were all just boring quiet guy for me

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Reynolds is kinda like Colin Farrell but Farrell has been doing better recently with smaller character roles in mainstream movies (like Saving Mr. Banks) and compelling lead roles in oddball arthouse movies (I saw The Lobster last week and he's great in it). Haven't seen him in True Detective but still it's a high-profile role even if the season was extremely divisive. RR could do worse than that once he finally realizes he isn't gonna be a star. 

But... that's exactly what he's doing? Regardless of critical or commercial success, you can't say that what he's done in the past two years is in any way mainstream.

It's like the narrative of what he was doing circa 2009-2012 is still there, even though as an actor he's apparently moved on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

colin farrell I've always liked a lot. totally a great character actor they shouldn't have bothered to try to make a hollywood leading man.

Have you seen Winter's Tale? You should see Winter's Tale

• Like 1