chasmmi

Do you actually like films

Out of every 10 films you watch how many on average would you say you enjoy watching?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Out of every 10 films you watch how many on average would you say you enjoy watching?

• Pretty much 10 out of 10 - I like almost all of what I watch
    • 8-9 out of 10
    • 6-7 out of 10
    • 4-5 out of 10
    • 1-3 out of 10

I was looking at my ratings for films I've seen in 2015 so far. Out of the 24 I have seen to date I've enjoyed 14 to the point of tentatively rating they 90+ out of 100. Only 2 have rated below 60 (Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending).

Now obviously, I see that certain films are better directed, acted, produced or whatever, but the fact appears clear that I tend to enjoy almost all movies, even if they are pretty badly made from an objective standpoint.

I see others here that seem to hate movies a lot more often. Some seem to even hate the majority of films. This does not delegitimise my or their view of films, but it interests me as to the standards different cinemagoers set for their potential experiences.

I obviously fall into the camp of those that will pretty much enjoy everything and then have those films that rise above the generally enjoyable, whereas others are more likely to be consistently disappointed but potentially with the upshot at being even more happy when they come across a film that meets the standards they set for themselves with films.

So where do you stand? How often do you enjoy a film?

I've just checked and I've seen 43 movies from 2015 and the only ones I've thought were actively bad were terminator genisys and fantastic four. maybe some of the others have stuff in them that really don't work, but there's usually always something there for me to get a kick out of that I don't regret the experience. I thought Mortdecai was fun so I'm a pretty easy lay.

Statistics time!

Out of the 68 2015 movies I've seen so far I liked 49, thought 11 were meh, and disliked 8 of them. Of course, I might feel differently about some of them on another day but let's say this is accurate (and I don't really think that much about those border cases) which would give me a 72% like ratio.

Though I've given a 9/10 to only 2 movies so far.

• Like 1

This might surprise some people, but I enjoy the majority of movies that I see, especially in theaters. :lol: It's self-selecting, of course -- since I don't see as many in theaters as I used to, I tend to pick movies I'm looking forward to and think I'll like. I don't outright rave about many, but I enjoy most. Looking at my ratings over the years, I definitely have fewer negatives than positives (and very few strongly negatives).

• Like 7

I enjoy most of the movies I see, but I am somewhat selective, when it comes to going to see it in a theater. I've seen 38 2015 releases and I only hated one (Blackhat, though it still wasn't in my bottom 10 of all time or anything). and didn't like 5 of them, I also found Terminator Genisys a movie most people didn't like. to be a really entertaining film, despite really falling apart in the end.

I've seen 20 of the 2015 movies so far this year, and while there are only a couple that I'd call great, there are also only a couple that I didn't like. The rest I found enjoyable in one way or another, so I'd say that's a pretty good ratio. I mean I don't actively seek out movies that I know I probably won't like, but it's not too often that I don't get at least something out of a movie that I see.

Edited by Sir Tiki

I think, in my case, 2012 would be a better representative of how often I enjoy a movie than 2015. I still have to rewatch many 2015 movies before having a final opinion on them, my ratings always tend to drop or go up after I watch them at home. Besides, I have seen 4 times more movies from 2012 than from 2015.

I have watched 135 films from 2012, and I liked about 49% (67) of the films I watched. 

From 2015, I have seen 26 films, and I liked about 42% of them.

Everything rated above 6 was put in the liked camp.

It's worth noting that only big studio movies comes to my town, so the majority I've seen from this year is big budgeted stuff.

Edited by Goffe

I rarely go to the cinema anymore, The Martian was the last movie I saw and now I probably only go to the cinema once a month, and that's being generous. Even when im at home ill rather play on my playstation than put a film on, for some reason most movies now fail to hold my attention unless they are really good.

63% of my ratings are higher than 6.5. I've seen 21 movies from 2015 and liked 16 (76%), but that will go down when i watch the movies with lower audience score (like FF). So generally i like 2/3 of the movies i watch, i think that's a good average.

• Community Manager

I tend to be very liberal with my "A"s recently but that's largely because if I go see a movie in theaters then I'm spending at least $10 on it so I tend to go by the Rotten Tomatoes score. And while I'm sure some would be like "why let the RT score decide!?" I tend to find that while I might like a movie that has a lot RT score but chances are really high that if a movie has a high RT score then I'll like it. If I'm interested in watching a movie but it ends up getting a low RT score, I'll wait until it's either free or on a service I already pay for (like Netflix).

I've also found some movies I really loved that before I saw the RT score I had limited to no awareness of. So it's also a good way for me to find diamonds that I would have otherwise ignored.

But yes I do love film. Not as much as TV but I still love it.