grim22

Weekend Actuals: SPECTRE 70.4M, Peanuts 44.21M. Discuss SPECTRE WWW in here.

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is STID all over again. Sony announced they were expecting a high-60s OW. Rival studios said they were expecting a mid-70s OW. It fell right in the middle. This isn't nearly flop-worthy enough to justify a WWW thread.

Tracking was $80-85m three weeks ago (Heck, Boner Omega's info from his theater had Spectre tracking at $122m 6 weeks ago) with the expectation it would go up as the film approached.  But it just kept going down and down.  Tracking from outside the studio only hit that lower after reviews started coming in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is STID all over again. Sony announced they were expecting a high-60s OW. Rival studios said they were expecting a mid-70s OW. It fell right in the middle. This isn't nearly flop-worthy enough to justify a WWW thread.

This is not STID all over again DOM. That movie failed to meet our expectations, however it was still in the top third biggest successes in its franchise and only decreased around 20% in admission from it predecessor. That is a huge difference from  being in the bottom third of your two dozen film franchise and decreasing 40-45% in admissions from its predecessor. I agree, a WWW thread OS would be pretty silly, but something totally went wrong DOM. 

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's not just about the Bond franchise. EON and MGM are also looking to invest in the studio's tentpoles which Sony currently has almost none of. Whichever studio gets Bond will do so not just because of their terms on Bond but because of a slate financing deal as well.

I should have clarified this first, but is Bond now a unrestricted free agent? Can the franchise go to any studio now, or does Sony have something built into their current contract with EON/MGM that makes it easier for them to hold onto it?

Edited by Jayhawk

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I should have clarified this first, is Bond now a unrestricted free agent? Can the franchise go to any studio now, or does Sony have something built into their current contract with EON/MGM that makes it easier for them to hold onto it?

I'm sure Sony will have the option of matching the best bid. But yeah, the Bond franchise can now go anywhere with respect to distribution.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I should have clarified this first, but is Bond now a unrestricted free agent? Can the franchise go to any studio now, or does Sony have something built into their current contract with EON/MGM that makes it easier for them to hold onto it?

EON/MGM are free to go to another studio.  They're already talking to other studios and probably thinking they should have made a deal before Spectre came out...

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is not STID all over again DOM. That movie failed to meet our expectations, however it was still in the top third biggest successes in its franchise and only decreased around 20% in admission from it predecessor. That is a huge difference from  being in the bottom third of your two dozen film franchise and decreasing 40-45% in admissions from its predecessor. I agree, a WWW thread OS would be pretty silly, but something totally went wrong DOM. 

But money is money. The movie is gonna be a huge grosser and settle comfortably in the middle range of grosses for the franchise (adjusted). To dismiss overseas simply so we can harp on domestic is missing the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

But money is money. The movie is gonna be a huge grosser and settle comfortably in the middle range of grosses for the franchise (adjusted). To dismiss overseas simply so we can harp on domestic is missing the forest for the trees.

No it's not. It's asking what went wrong with the film domestically? Why did such a long stable franchise DOM take a nosedive 3 decades into the past? And even addressing OS, why is it decreasing so much from SF there? How does this bode for the next film? If they can't curb costs will they lose money on the next one? There is a lot to consider here. 

The list of actresses who may be in the Baywatch movie with The Rock and Zac Efron reads like this forum's wish list

Alexandra Daddario (San Andreas, Percy Jackson), Ashley Benson (Pretty Little Liars, Elvis & Nixon), Nina Dobrev (Vampire Diaries), Alexandra Shipp (Straight Outta Compton, X-Men Apocalypse), Shelley Hennig (Teen Wolf), Bianca Santos (The Duff) and Denyse Tontz (Big Time Rush).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

For years, the Bond Franchise has made it's big money in overseas markets.

SPRCTRE will make EON a lot of money ,and, for all I read that SONY does not make that much directily off the Bond films,SONY will fight to keep the Bond franchise in the upcoming bidding war because of the prestige and intangible factors.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why did such a long stable franchise DOM take a nosedive 3 decades into the past?

Studios don't care about admissions, they care about money. Here's the grosses for the Brosnan and Craig movies:

304m

168m

167m

160m

126m

125m

106m

Here are the adjusted grosses:

315m

230m

224m

212m

207m

203m

195m

SPECTRE is hardly some crazy outlier.

• Like 5

Studios don't care about admissions, they care about money. Here's the grosses for the Brosnan and Craig movies:

304m

168m

167m

160m

126m

125m

106m

315m

230m

224m

212m

207m

203m

195m

Skyfall was the outlier as everyone has said over and over. SPECTRE is just the first of the "new normal" for Bond now.

304m

168m

167m

160m

126m

125m

106m

315m

230m

224m

212m

207m

203m

195m

Make sure you're taking a solid 10m off for Imax. That leaves Spectre with maybe 165m. Seems like an outlier to me. 

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Make sure you're taking a solid 10m off for Imax. That leaves Spectre with maybe 165m. Seems like an outlier to me. 

Why would we do that? If studios care about money and money is what matters, why would we take $10 million off the gross just because it comes from IMAX?

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why should I take 10m off for IMAX? Money is money.

We reserve WWW threads for significant bombs. Somewhat disappointing domestic performances don't really qualify... especially if OS performance is robust.