38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Room (2015)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Cleveland's been on both sides of the setting versus filming. I understand both why the Marvel movies had to be set in New York and Washington while Major League still had to be about the Indians, but here it's just superfluous. The only things that really mattered were that it was a suburb in fall in a North American continental climate.

Oy. Time to bow out.

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Cleveland's been on both sides of the setting versus filming. I understand both why the Marvel movies had to be set in New York and Washington while Major League still had to be about the Indians, but here it's just superfluous. The only things that really mattered were that it was a suburb in fall in a North American continental climate.

Oy. Time to bow out.

You have a right to disagree with me but I don't appreciate side swipes at my judgment. I'm all eyes if you can come up with a sound explanation for it that doesn't involve "it's in the book". I'm solely talking about the movie here, and what I saw didn't call for it.

I maintain it's a reasonable criticism to have of a movie that it doesn't make you fully buy into its geography. This is stuff many filmmakers put a lot of thought and care into, and it should be called out if it doesn't work.

I'm much more bothered by anachronisms than geography in movies (unless it's something like Anchorman and the anachronisms are part of the jokes lol). It never said so but it was obvious this took place in the late 2000s (the cellphones were the kind that were popular before the boon of the iPhone, and there was clearly a picture of DiCaprio circa the early 2000s on the wall in her untouched teenage bedroom).

• Like 1

So doesn't that mean that the film got its time period right? Unless I'm misunderstanding you...

Part of it is because I'm a geography/travel nut, I suppose. But I'm also thinking from a production finance perspective that the effort just didn't make any sense. Maybe it is in the book, but it never felt like a detail that was essential to the plot, and only served to confound my sense of the movie's place.

I'll try it again. Things I loved about this movie:

Tremblay

Larson

The Mighty Rio Grande

Cinematography

Grandmother (forget actress' name)

Screenplay

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

So doesn't that mean that the film got its time period right? Unless I'm misunderstanding you...

Part of it is because I'm a geography/travel nut, I suppose. But I'm also thinking from a production finance perspective that the effort just didn't make any sense. Maybe it is in the book, but it never felt like a detail that was essential to the plot, and only served to confound my sense of the movie's place.

I'll try it again. Things I loved about this movie:

Tremblay

Larson

The Mighty Rio Grande

Cinematography

Grandmother (forget actress' name)

Screenplay

Correct. It never outright said when it was taking place but all the little details made it obvious that it wasn't 2015.

And the name of the actress who plays the grandmother is (Legend) Joan Allen. You clearly have much to learn, young Jedi. lol.

• Like 1

We like to say a lot of Disney and Pixar films are aimed at the "inner child" in us, but this movie really is aimed at that. It's not a film for kids but to appreciate it is to identify with a child's optimism and naivete in a horrific circumstance. It's a storybook fairy tale that's still probably less disturbing and more hopeful than most of the stuff the Grimms came up with

• Like 2

On January 31, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Goffe said:

Anyone who dislikes this is a bad person, bad person.

I think anyone that doesn't feel something during this movie really has no soul. I mean we always hear hyperbolic statements about how movies can move us, but this one directly asks everyone to imagine themselves in this scenario.

I came to this thread thinking "wow, 4 pages, lots of people liked it" just to find out half of the thread was a discussion about skylines.

Anyway, I loved the movie and everything but for a whole hour I thought Jack was a girl, I don't know if it was because of the hair, but he really looked like a girl. I was so certain of it I actually started elaborating theories about why she was being called a he, I though Joy was pretending that he was a boy so that Old Nick wouldn't rape him, and that's why she would never let him go near Jack. But then even the cops were saying "he" and "boy" and I realized, in the middle of the movie, that he really was a boy. It was one of the strangest feelings ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

I came to this thread thinking "wow, 4 pages, lots of people liked it" just to find out half of the thread was a discussion about skylines.

Anyway, I loved the movie and everything but for a whole hour I thought Jack was a girl, I don't know if it was because of the hair, but he really looked like a girl. I was so certain of it I actually started elaborating theories about why she was being called a he, I though Joy was pretending that he was a boy so that Old Nick wouldn't rape him, and that's why she would never let him go near Jack. But then even the cops were saying "he" and "boy" and I realized, in the middle of the movie, that he really was a boy. It was one of the strangest feelings ever.

LOL WTF?

Are you the guy walking his dog who "rescues" Jack and thinks he's a girl at first because of his long hair?

• Like 1

The film is easily separated into two distinct halves, i.e. the room and the fallout from said room.  Unfortunately, the only thing that draws the two together is the outright bland execution of the material.  The film briefly touches upon a variety of subjects, but fails to explore them in a satisfying manner.  Rather than focus intently on a single thing, the film tries to tackle everything in its path, and fails at doing so.

Middling viewing for me.