Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

Fifty Shades it's a successful franchise in Romania

Fifty Shades of Grey had an insane opening with 145k adm - $0.71m OW, and 317k adm - $1.46m total.

Fifty Shades Darker hold the record for biggest film of the franchise (for now) with 150k adm - $0.69m OW, and 375k adm - $1.64m total. 

and now, Fifty Shades Freed opened this weekend with great numbers also - 146k adm and $0.79m. Probably will finish with over 360k adm, and $1.8m! 

No one should be surprised if 50Grey will be the biggest movie in Romania this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunder storm said:

Fifty Shades it's a successful franchise in Romania

Thanks for the update. It's been a long 10 months since we last heard about the Romanian box office. I hope we get news more often from now on. Is there a 2017 list with biggest films in gross, total admissions and opening weekends too. Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quigley said:

Is there a 2017 list with biggest films in gross, total admissions and opening weekends too. 

well, here is the top 10 at the end of 2017.

1. Fast & Furious 8 - 366k adm- $1.75m OW, 683k adm - $3.17m total. (13.3m lc. total)

2. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 94k adm - $0.54m OW, 472k adm - $2.73m (10.4m lc. total) - still playing, with very good chances at 500k adm

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (this film was distributed by Forum Film Romania, who unfortunately stopped to report regular admission figures) - $0.74m OW - $2.23m total (9.5m lc. total) and around 430k adm after my calculations

4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (same story with Forum Film Romania) - $0.76m OW - $2.20m total (8.5m lc. total) and around 390k adm after my calculations

5. Thor: Ragnarok (Forum Film Romania) $0.59m OW- $2m total (8m lc. total) and around 365k adm after my calculations

6. Fifty Shades Darker - 150k adm - $0.69m OW , 375k adm - $1.64m total (6.98m lc. total)

7. Beauty and the Beast (Forum Film Romania) - $0.51m OW - $1.52m total (6.45m lc. total) and around 325k adm after my calculations

8. Assassin's Creed - 92k adm - $0.5m OW , 265k adm - $1.39m total (5.92m lc. total)

9. Justice League -102k adm - $0.59m OW , 265k adm - $1.49m total (5.85m lc. total)

10. The Boss Baby - 26.6k adm - $0.12m OW , 283k adm - $1.26m total (5.26m lc. total) 

• Like 4

Black Panther opened on top with $0.56m (2.1m lc). Because it's distributed by Forum Film Romania we don't have admission figures for it, but after my calculations BP sold around 94k tickets ow. It is the second biggest opening ever for Marvel, only behind Thor: Ragnarok. Very nice!

Fifty Shades Freed continue to impress with 148k adm, and for now the total is 295k adm, and $1.54m. Depending on how it will drop next week, it might end up around $2m and 400k adm. Well done Mr. Grey! 

WinchesterPhantom Thread and Early Man opened this weekend with some mediocre numbers: 13k, 7.6k and 8k adm.

Great hold for Jumanji (482k adm and $2.79m) and for Ferdinand (231k adm and $1.1m). Maze Runner: The Death Cure stands at $0.88m - 142k adm and should easily break $1m. 

Next weekend we have 5 new movies: Every Day, The Post, The Shape of Water, Un beau soleil intérieur and Scurtcircuit (local film). Unfortunately none of this movies will reach at 25k adm (I guess!)

• Like 4

Blockbusters Update:

Avengers:Infinity War has opened to $822K in Romania (biggest CBM opening weekend ever) and has currently grossed $2.5M (biggest haul for a CBM movie, outgrossing Thor:Ragnarok's $2.1M, Suicide Squad's $2.1M and Black Panther's $2M)

Deadpool 2 has opened to $645K in Romania and has currently grossed $1.5M. Next week it will exceed Deadpool's $1.6M haul.

Solo:A Star Wars Story completely bombed with $182K on OW and $448K to date. TFA opened to aprox. $950K, TLJ to $770K, RO to $440K.

Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom opened with $328.75K, exceeding JW on opening weekend ( aprox. $255K ). JW had very good legs and got to $1.25M, WOM and the World Cup could prevent Fallen Kingdom from reaching those legs.

The Incredibles 2 release date is July 27th, AMATW July 6th.

EDIT: prevent*

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Romania box office update (June 17th):

"Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom" shows strong legs as it has already grossed $670K after earning $328K in its OW (2x+ multi.)

"Loving Pablo" opened to a somewhat mediocre $107K in its OW, taking into consideration the fact that Pablo Escobar is a well-known figure in Romania, a "Narcos" (TV series)-loving country.

"Charming"/"Prince Charming" opens to $59K.

"Hereditary" bombs with $38K and bad WOM.

"Deadpool 2" has reached $1.6M (needs about $50K more to surpass DP) and will likely end its run at $1.7-1.75M.

"Solo:A Star Wars Story" sits at $489K and will barely scratch it past $500K (horrible for a SW-movie).

"Avengers:Infinity War" sits at $2.52M and will end its run with $2.55M.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 5

Romania Box Office Update (June 24th):

"Ocean's 8" debuted with $221K on OW, a good haul considering the World Cup and the fact that it's a somewhat unknown title.

"Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom" has currently grossed $897K and will struggle to get to JW1's haul of $1.25M.

"Love, Simon" bombed with $20K on OW.

"Deadpool 2" passed DP1's run and is currently sitting at $1.67M.

Romanian movie "Cateva conversatii despre o fata foarte inalta"/"Some conversations about a very tall girl" debuted with $2.5K (very small screen-count)

Other holdovers: AIW - $2.533M, Solo - $517K, Book Club - $380K

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 5

Unless something surprises, Avengers looks looked to win the year. And 2018 overall looks to be down from the last one for the first time in about 10 years. Blame it on the lack of attractive title in the Fall-Winter seasons. December looks weak (granted, there are a lot of big movies but aside from Aquaman, none of the looks to make a lot of money - Marry Poppins is pretty much unknown). Nov also looks weak, aside from Fantastic Beasts. That should easily do over 1m. Maybe The Grinch will surprise. Illumination is strong in the market.

October has Mowgli, First Man and Venom. I think First Man will make over 1m. There is a tradition of a strong SF movie opening in Fall and making big bucks. September looks like a complete disaster. The only movie I see having a chance at 1m in August is MI6. And July looks interesting. Hotel Transylvania 2 should make over 1m. The Incredibles might break out. AMATW should also have a shot at 1m... maybe.

But overall, we will have no title over 500k admissions.  

Edited by James
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

Unless something surprises, Avengers looks looked to win the year. And 2018 overall looks to be down from the last one for the first time in about 10 years. Blame it on the lack of attractive title in the Fall-Winter seasons. December looks weak (granted, there are a lot of big movies but aside from Aquaman, none of the looks to make a lot of money - Marry Poppins is pretty much unknown). Nov also looks weak, aside from Fantastic Beasts. That should easily do over 1m. Maybe The Grinch will surprise. Illumination is strong in the market.

October has Mowgli, First Man and Venom. I think First Man will make over 1m. There is a tradition of a strong SF movie opening in Fall and making big bucks. September looks like a complete disaster. The only movie I see having a chance at 1m in August is MI6. And July looks interesting. Hotel Transylvania 2 should make over 1m. The Incredibles might break out. AMATW should also have a shot at 1m... maybe.

But overall, we will have no title over 500k admissions.  

Venom.

That movie could potentially make $2M, just like BP and Thor:Ragnarok. Just a gut-feeling, the hype is real for that movie

13 hours ago, Andreas said:

Venom.

That movie could potentially make $2M, just like BP and Thor:Ragnarok. Just a gut-feeling, the hype is real for that movie

I believe it will be big but you need 4 quad audiences for 2m and Venom is not smth I see families participating in.

1 hour ago, James said:

I believe it will be big but you need 4 quad audiences for 2m and Venom is not smth I see families participating in.

You may be right, yet families weren't interested in watching DP2 and it will end its run with $1.75-1.8M. "Venom" won't be R-rated and many, many friends of mine who usually don't know anything about CBMs or modern cinema are quite interested in seeing it

• Like 2

Romania box office update (July 1st):

"Sicario:Day of the Soldado" opened with $92K

"Ocean's 8" shows great legs and has currently grossed $468K

"Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom" sits at $1.08M, still struggling to catch JW's $1.25M haul.

"Visages villages"(French documentary) opens to $3.7K and Romanian flick "Strajerii"/"Watchmen" opens at $1.4K (small screen-count)

"Deadpool 2" maintains its 7th place in the top 10 and has currently grossed $1.727M

Other holdovers: "Loving Pablo" $319K, "Solo" $537K, "Avengers:Infinity War" $2.544M

• Like 5

Romania box office update (July 8th):

"Ant-Man and the Wasp" opens with $233K ( $108K above Ant-Man's opening of $125K back in 2015 ). Ant-Man 1 made it to $595K in Romania, AMATW should easily pass that mark, ending its run with at least $700-750K.

"Tag" opens with an ok $91K.

"Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom" has currently grossed $1.19M and will surpass its predecessor ($1.25M).

"Ocean's 8" continues to amaze and has made $576K to date.

"Show Dogs", a very well-liked movie in Romania, has grossed $453K to date and is still in the top 10.

Other holdovers: DP2 $1.755M, Hereditary $105K, Solo $546K, AIW $2.55M

Next weekend sees the release date of "Skyscraper", "Hotel Transylvania 3" and "The Place"

EDIT: weekend*

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 5

Romania box office update (July 15th):

"Hotel Transylvania 3" opens with $402K, phenomenal OW for an animated movie. It is the biggest opening weekend in the HT-franchise and one of the biggest animated-movie openings of all time.

"Skyscraper" opens at no.2 with $175.2K / 702K RON, a good haul for this type of movie.

Indie films "The Place", "Budapest Noir" and "The Process" open with $4.4K, $3.2K and $1.3K, respectively (small screen-count).

"Ant-Man and the Wasp" shows strong legs and has made it to $440K after its second weekend.

"Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom" has currently made $1.246M, barely outgrossing JW's final haul (~$1.245M).

Other holdovers: DP2 $1.77M, Tag $180K, O8 $654K, Sicario $190K. AIW will end its run at $2.56M ($2.55M to date) and Solo at $550K ($549K to date).

Next weekend sees the release date of "Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again" and "The Equalizer 2".

Should I include OW-admissions starting next week? Let me know!

EDIT: Re- "Skyscraper"-OW

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (July 22th):

"The Equalizer 2" opens at no. 2 with a nice haul of $188K.

"Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again" disappoints, opening at no. 4 with just $93K.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" is still on top and has already made it to $750K after its second weekend.

"Ant-Man and the Wasp" sits at $564K and will exceed "Ant-Man"s final haul of $595K in about 2 days.

"Skyscraper" took the no. 3 spot away from "Mamma Mia!" and has currently grossed $397K.

Other holdovers: JWFK $1.286M, Tag $254K, O8 $709K, Sicario $215K, DP2 $1.775M, Overboard $501K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "The Incredibles 2" and "Adrift".

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 3

Romania box office update (July 29th):

"The Incredibles 2" out-opens "Finding Dory" with $210K. FD managed to make $107K on its opening weekend back in 2016.

"Adrift" opens with a good haul of $107K.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" has already made it past the $1M mark, currently sitting at $1.002M. The movie could become the third, if not the second highest grossing animated movie in Romania. The top 3 include "Minions" at $2.03M, "Frozen" at $1.6M and "Despicable Me 3" at $1.3M.

"Ant-Man and the Wasp", with its $632K to date, has made it past the final haul of "Ant-Man" ( $595K )

Other holdovers: Equalizer2 $388K, Mamma Mia! $199K, Tag $305K, O8 $739K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Mission:Impossible - Fallout" and "Christopher Robin".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HesAPooka said:

I will forever equate Romanian cinema with Sunday's as that was the only thing someone could do there on a Sunday seeing as everything else was fucking closed

What part of Romania did you visit? As far as I know, you can do pretty much anything that you could do in the US, if we talk about Romania's major cities.

8 minutes ago, Andreas said:

What part of Romania did you visit? As far as I know, you can do pretty much anything that you could do in the US, if we talk about Romania's major cities.

Lived in Timisoara for a few years playing soccer for Poli. This was in Early 2000's so maybe it's different now but back then most things would shut down very early on Sunday's leaving very little to do so I'd just go to the cinema.