Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

46 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Lived in Timisoara for a few years playing soccer for Poli. This was in Early 2000's so maybe it's different now but back then most things would shut down very early on Sunday's leaving very little to do so I'd just go to the cinema.

Although we still have major problems with corruption, infrastructure and poor planning overall, Romania has changed quite a bit since the early 2000s. Bucuresti, Timisoara, Cluj-Napoca or Iasi are just some of the big cities where many things have changed, multi-national companies have settled in, the IT & Engineering business is booming and you pretty much can do anything you want on any day, at any time. In the post-communism era (1990-2005), Romania had a hard time growing and expanding on any field whatsoever. After that period, things took a turn for the better, in my opinion.

Edited by Andreas

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

Although we still have major problems with corruption, infrastructure and poor planning overall, Romania has changed quite a bit since the early 2000s. Bucuresti, Timisoara, Cluj-Napoca or Iasi are just some of the big cities where many things have changed, multi-national companies have settled in, the IT & Engineering business is booming and you pretty much can do anything you want on any day, at any time. In the post-communism era (1990-2005), Romania had a hard time growing and expanding on any field whatsoever. After that period, things took a turn for the better, in my opinion.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was putting the city down. I loved it there...except Sunday's lol. I haven't been back since I left and I really miss it :(

Romania box office update (August 5th):

"Mission:Impossible - Fallout" opens at no.1 with a huge haul of $464K / 1.85M RON (Romanian currency/Romanian leu). The opening is worth more than double of what "Mission:Impossible - Rogue Nation" managed to gross on its opening weekend.

"Christopher Robin" massively underperforms and opens at no.8, grossing $17K / 67.5K RON.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" continues to thrive, currently sitting at $1.15M.

"Incredibles 2" shows nice legs and has currently made it to $367K.

"Ant-Man and the Wasp" sits at $666K, while "Skyscraper" sits at $615K.

Other holdovers: Adrift $206K, Sequelizer $489K, Mamma Mia! $267K, JWFK $1.314M.

Next weekend sees the release date of "The Darkest Minds" and "The Meg".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (August 12th):

"The Meg" opens with a good haul of $205K / 833K RON.

"The Darkest Minds" bombs grossing a mere $38K / 156K RON on OW.

"Mission-Impossible:Fallout" has made it to $742K after its second weekend in theaters.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" currently sits at $1.27M and will become the third highest grossing animated pic in Romania, by next week.

"Incredibles 2" sits at a comfortable $470K and could potentially outgross 2016's "Finding Dory" ($631K)

"Christopher Robin" struggles to stay in the top 10 with its current haul of $41K.

Other holdovers: AMATW $683K, Mamma Mia! $312K, Sequelizer $546K, Skyscraper $654K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" and "The Spy Who Dumped Me"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (August 19th):

"The Spy Who Dumped Me" opens at no. 2, making $112K / 459K RON on OW.

"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" scores $71K / 291K RON on opening weekend, coming in at no. 4.

"The Meg" shows strong legs and maintains its place at the top, having grossed $503K to date.

"Mission - Impossible:Fallout" outgrossed "Mission - Impossible: Rogue Nation"'s final haul of $901K, sits at $947K and will soon cross $1M. The movie has already become the highest grossing MI movie in Romania.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" becomes the third highest grossing animated movie, now sitting at $1.39M, after it outgrossed "Despicable Me 3" (~$1,3M).

Other holdovers: I2 $554K, The Darkest Minds $101K, Mamma Mia! $344K, AMATW $696K, DCR $57K, JWFK $1.32M.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Alpha" and Romanian title "Licu, o poveste romaneasca"/"Licu, a Romanian story".

• Like 6

Romania box office update (August 26th):

"Alpha" opens at no. 1 to an impressive haul of $175K / 703K RON.

"The Meg" has made it to $696K and will soon outgross AMATW.

"Mission-Impossible:Fallout" has passed the $1M mark and currently stands at a promising $1.066M.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" has made it to $1.47M. The movie would need another $135K to become the second highest grossing animated movie in Romania. Unlikely, but not impossible.

"The Incredibles 2" sits at $605K and should/could beat "Finding Dory" next week or in two weeks.

"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" sits at $126K after its second weekend in theatres.

Romanian flick "Licu, o poveste romaneasca"/"Licu, a Romanian story" opens to $3.1K / 12.3K RON  on a limited amount of screens.

Other holdovers: AMATW $705K, DCR $66K, Mamma Mia! $368K, The Spy Who Dumped Me $251K

Next weekend sees the release date of "Slender Man" and "Norm of the North 2".

• Like 5

Romania box office update (September 2nd):

"Slender Man" opens and makes $94.4K / 375.8K RON. Good opening for a horror movie.

"Norm of the North 2: Keys to the Kingdom" opens at no. 5 to $41.5K / 165.4K RON on opening weekend.

"Alpha" maintains its no. 1 place, having grossed a very respectable $405K to date.

"The Meg" rises to $837.5K, while "Mission Impossible - Fallout" has made $1.16M to date.

"Hotel Transylvania 3" sits at $1.53M, still trying to catch up with "Frozen".

"The Incredibles 2" outgrossed "Finding Dory", having made $648K to date.

Other holdovers: Spy Who Dumped Me $369K, The Equalizer $650K, AMATW $711K, DCR $72K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "The Nun" and "Demi soeurs".

"The Nun" could potentially outgross any other horror-movie in Romania, both on OW and on the full run.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 4

What a surprise! The Nun opened on top with an UNBELIEVABLE 91.233 adm. and $0.45M. It's absolutely monstrous for a horror movie in Romania. 

The previous ow record (for a horror movie) was set by Insidious 4 - 38.748 adm. The Nun already beat Annabelle (70.402 adm in total), Conjuring (52.712), Conjuring 2 (88.161) and soon will be the biggest horror movie here (IT held the record with 139.899 adm). 

Frankly, I have no idea why this movie it's a huge success in Romania. Maybe because the entire movie was filmed here. 

It will fly (I guess) past $1m and 200.000 adm. Absolutely unbelievable!!

Edited by thunder storm
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Romania box office update (September 9th):

As expected, "The Nun" opens at no. 1 and grabs BY FAR the biggest horror-movie OW ever, at $454K / 1.81M RON. The next biggest horror-movie OWs belong to "Insidious 4" ($189K), "IT" ($165K) and "Annabelle:Creation" ($163.7K). The biggest horror-movie run belongs to "IT" ($660K), "The Nun" should easily pass that mark by the end of next weekend.

"Demi soeurs" opens at no. 12 and makes $9.5K / 37.7K RON on OW.

"Alpha" stays strong at no. 2, having grossed a very nice $564K to date.

"Mission Impossible - Fallout" makes it to $1.23M, while "The Meg" nears the $1M mark, currently standing at $926K.

"Hotel Transylvania 3", with its current $1.59M, will become the second highest grossing animated movie in Romania, by the end of next weekend.

Other holdovers: The Spy Who Dumped Me $455K, I2 $680K, Slender Man $160K, Teen Titans $182K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "The Predator" and "A Simple Favor".

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 4

Romania box office update (September 16th):

"The Predator" opens at no. 2 and makes a solid $205.8K / 816.4K RON on OW.

"A Simple Favor" opens at no. 3 and gets to $116K / 460.3K RON after its first weekend in theatres.

"Luis and the Aliens" makes $56K / 222.5K RON on OW.

"The Nun" stays on top and gets to $913K after its second weekend. It easily became the highest grossing horror-movie in Romania and will easily pass the $1M-mark after next weekend.

"Hotel Transylvania 3", having grossed $1.628M to date, will become the second highest grossing animated movie in Romania, thus overthrowing "Frozen", which currently holds that title with $1.634M.

"The Meg" crosses the $1M-mark and sits at $1.03M.

Other holdovers: MI:F $1.27M Alpha $652K I2 $698K AMATW $720K

Next weekend sees the release date of "Peppermint" and "Ploey - You Never Fly Alone".

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 4

*VERY LATE* Romania box office update (October 7th):

"Venom" opens HUGELY at no.1, grossing $628K/2.55M RON on OW. It's 2018's fourth biggest opening weekend, sitting behind "Infinity War" ($826K), "Fifty Shades Freed" ($792K) and "Deadpool 2" ($648K)

"Johnny English Strikes Again" opens at no. 2 to a robust $189K/769M RON.

"The House with a clock in its walls" currently sits at no. 4 with $164K.

"The Nun" will pass the $1.5M mark next weekend, currently sitting at $1.44M.

Other holdovers: HT3 $1.69M, Predator $488K, Incredibles 2 $730K, Ploey $198K, Night School $276K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "First Man", "Mile 22", "I still see you" and "Bad Times at El Royale".

Sorry for being inactive lately, I was pretty stressed out with work & college. I'll try to keep on posting regularly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Romania box office update (October 14th):

"Mile 22" opens to an ok $82K / 330K RON on OW, "First Man" follows behind opening at no. 4 and grossing $46K / 186K RON this weekend.

"I still see you" and "Bad Times at El Royale" underperform and open to $27K / 109K RON and $30K / 121K RON, respectively.

"Venom" reigns supreme at no. 1 and has made it to $1.31M so far. The movie will probably outgross "Fifty Shades Darker" ($1.65M) and "Deadpool 2" (~$1.79M). The $2M-mark and "Black Panther"'s final haul of $2.01M aren't out of reach either.

"Johnny English strikes again" sits comfortably at no. 2 and has made it to a good haul of $381K.

"The House with a clock in its walls" falls to no. 10 and finally reaches the $200K-mark.

Other holdovers: Alpha $787K, A Simple Favor $343K, The Nun $1.48M.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Halloween" and "A Star is born".

"Halloween" should see another huge opening for a horror movie. Many people are excited to see the movie around here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (October 21st):

"Halloween" underperforms and makes roughly $102K / 418K RON on OW, thus not reaching other horror-movie OW heights like "IT"s or "Insidious 4"s (Not even bringing "The Nun" into conversation)

"A Star Is Born" exceeds expectations and opens at no.2, grossing $149K / 611K RON on OW.

"Venom" stays on top after its third weekend in theatres, now having grossed an enormous haul of $1.78M. The movie, which is now expected to outgross "Black Panther"s final haul ($2.01M) will become the second highest grossing movie of 2018 AND the second highest grossing superhero-movie ever (behind only "Avengers:Infinity War"). Expected final haul: $2.25M.

"Johnny English Strikes Again" sits comfortably at no. 3, having grossed $522K to date.

"The Nun" slows down, now sitting at no. 17 after grossing $1.49M. It'll top $1.5M and become, by far, the highest grossing horror movie ever.

Other holdovers: The House with a clock in its walls $230K, First Man $95K, Mile 22 $186K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Hunter Killer" and "Smallfoot".

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (October 28th):

"Smallfoot" opens at no.1 and scores an impressive haul of $205K / 843K RON on OW.

"Hunter Killer" opens and makes $121K / 497K RON on the first weekend in theatres.

"Venom" has passed the $2M-mark and has already become the second highest grossing superhero-movie of all time AND the second highest-grossing movie of 2018, sitting now at $2.07M.

"A Star Is Born" shows impressive legs. The movie has grossed $330K to date.

"Halloween" struggles to pass the $200K-mark, as the movie currently sits at $197K.

Other holdovers: Johnny English Strikes Again $682K, First Man $121K, Mile 22 $250K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Goosebumps 2:Haunted Halloween".

• Like 4

Romania box office update (November 4th):

"Bohemian Rhapsody" outperforms and exceeds all expectations, opening at no.1 and grossing $301K / 1.22M RON on OW. The movie is being praised by everyone.

"Goosebumps 2:Haunted Halloween" opens at no.3, making $105K / 429K RON on OW.

"Venom" falls to no. 5 but doesn't fail to impress, as the movie has made $2.25M to date. Could the movie possibly outperform "Avengers:Infinity War"? Not impossible, although the  chances are slim. The movie will come awfully close tho.

"Smallfoot" made it to $401K, while "A Star Is Born" is one inch away from passing the $500K-mark ($499K).

Other holdovers: Halloween $271K, Hunter Killer $261K, Johnny English Strikes Again $796K, Mile 22 $296K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Overlord" and "Elliot the Littlest Reindeer"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (November 11th):

"The Girl in the Spider's Web" opens at no. 2 and makes a nice haul of $101K / 414K RON on OW.

"Elliot the Littlest Reindeer" follows behind, grossing $85K / 352K RON on OW.

"Overlord" underperforms, making just $52K / 215K RON on its first weekend in theatres, thus landing at no. 8 in the top 10.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" continues to impress as it maintains its place at the top of the list, having grossed $740K to date.

"Venom" doesn't seem to slow down as it made another $110K during this week, now sitting at $2.36M. As I've said before, this movie's final haul will come very close to "Infinity War"s.

Other holdovers: A Star Is Born $511K, Goosebumps 2 $172K, Smallfoot $507K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald", "Life Itself" and Romanian classic "Morometii 2"/"The Moromete Family 2".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Box office update (November 18th):

"Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" opens at $474K / $1.95M RON on OW, vastly outperforming its predecessor, "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them", which opened at $345K and went on to pass the $1M-mark in Romania.

Romanian classic "Morometii 2"/"The Moromete Family 2" exceeds expectations and opens at no. 2, making $246K / $1M RON on OW.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" continues to amaze as it already passed the $1M-mark and sits at no. 3 with $1.08M to date.

"A Star is Born" still sits in the top 5, now having grossed a nice haul of $614K.

"Venom" is still trying to catch up with "Avengers 3", yet it will ultimately fail as the movie currently stands at $2.41M. Still an over-the-top performance in Romania for a relatively unknown character.

Other holdovers: Elliot $171K, Smallfoot $579K, The Girl in the Spider's Web $181K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Creed II", "The Grinch" and "Widows".

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (November 25th):

"The Grinch" opens at no. 1, grossing $314K / 1.29M RON on OW. A very good opening weekend for the beloved Christmas movie.

"Creed II" follows behind opening in second place and making $213K / 875K RON on OW.  "Creed" opened to just about $50K on OW back in 2015 and made just $167K total. Huge success for the sequel.

"Widows" opens at no.5, making $95K / 393K RON on OW.

"Fantastic Beasts 2" stays strong, having passed $800K to date.

"Venom" slows down but doesn't give up and currently sits at $2.44M.

Other holdovers: Bohemian Rhapsody $1.33M, A Star is Born $675K, The Moromete Family 2 $368K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "The Nutcracker And The Seven Realms" and "The Possession of Hannah Grace"

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

*LATE* Romania box office update (December 2nd):

"The Nutcracker and The Seven Realms" opens at no.2 over the weekend and makes a solid haul of $197K / 811K RON on OW.

"The Possession of Hannah Grace" makes $105K / 430K RON on OW. Not a bad OW for a horror movie.

"Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindelwald" passes the $1M-mark, as it currently stands at $1.02M. The movie will outgross its predecessor next week, "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" having grossed $1.05M in Romania.

"The Grinch" is still no.1, now having grossed $602K after its second weekend in theatres.

"Creed II" continues to impress as the movie currently stands at $434K.

Other holdovers: Bohemian Rhapsody $1.51M, Widows $182K, The Moromete Family 2 $480K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Mortal Engines" and "Robin Hood".

Sorry for being late with the update, had a busy week.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Romania box office update (December 9th):

"Robin Hood" opens at no. 1 and scores a good haul of $187K / 767K RON on OW.

"Mortal Engines" follows behind, making $155K / 635K RON on its first weekend in theatres in Romania.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" continues to impress, as it made around $125K during this week, now bringing its total cume to $1.629M. Movies like "Hotel Transylvania 3" and "Deadpool 2" should watch out.

"The Grinch" sits comfortably at no. 3, now having grossed $763K.

"The Nutcracker and The Seven Realms" passes the $300K-mark, sitting at exactly $303K.

Other Holdovers: Fantastic Beasts 2 $1.1M, Creed II $529K, The Possession of Hannah Grace $181K.

Next weekend sees the release date of "Second Act" and "Racetime".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1