kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE | 445.1 M overseas ● 677.7 M worldwide

7 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Cumberbatch is big in China. Strange will do $80M, at least, and max out at $120M. Maybe even more.

So far pre-sales have been weak. I doubt it will do 120m. 600m yuan is looking like good target. This year Hollywood movies have disappointed except Zoo, Jungle Book and to an extent CW and Warcraft.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

So far pre-sales have been weak. I doubt it will do 120m. 600m yuan is looking like good target. This year Hollywood movies have disappointed except Zoo, Jungle Book and to an extent CW and Warcraft.

Comic Book Movie’s first Sat increase and Sun drop were mainly between 25%-30% in China this year. In other words, OW ≈ 3.2* OD.If DS OD do less than $12m(¥80m), $40m(¥270m) OW and $88m(¥600m) total can also be very dangerous.

Civil War

OW/OD = $96.59m/$30.46m = 3.17

Total/OW = $191.78m/$96.59m = 1.99

Apocalypse

OW/OD = $58.48m/$18.02m = 3.25(best of 2016)

Total/OW = $121.58m/$58.48m = 2.08(best of 2016)

Batman v Superman

OW/OD = $56.96m/$19.8m = 2.87(It’s not my fault.Only increased 21% on first Sat and dropped 34% on first Sun)

Total/OW = $95.77m/$56.96m = 1.68

The competition would be strong and I don’t think DS could have 2.1×(Total/OW).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Comic Book Movie’s first Sat increase and Sun drop were mainly between 25%-30% in China this year. In other words, OW ≈ 3.2* OD.If DS OD do less than $12m(¥80m), $40m(¥270m) OW and $88m(¥600m) total can also be very dangerous.

Civil War

OW/OD = $96.59m/$30.46m = 3.17

Total/OW = $191.78m/$96.59m = 1.99

Apocalypse

OW/OD = $58.48m/$18.02m = 3.25(best of 2016)

Total/OW = $121.58m/$58.48m = 2.08(best of 2016)

Batman v Superman

OW/OD = $56.96m/$19.8m = 2.87(It’s not my fault.Only increased 21% on first Sat and dropped 34% on first Sun)

Total/OW = $95.77m/$56.96m = 1.68

The competition would be strong and I don’t think DS could have 2.1×(Total/OW).

All of these movies though require you to have seen previous movies to fully understand the story.

Not Doctor Strange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

All of these movies though require you to have seen previous movies to fully understand the story.

Not Doctor Strange.

Wrong.I won’t tell you that AM gets 2.48× in 2015 and DOFP gets 3×.Competition becomes stronger year after year and the showings would be cut a lot when new movies open.

21 minutes ago, Durden said:

Billy Lynn's and what else ?

Billy Lynn - Nov.11

Deepwater Horizon - Nov.15

Madame Bovary&The Warriors Gate - Nov.18

Allied - Nov.23

Fantastic Beasts & Moana - Nov.25

Miss Peregrine - Dec.2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quigley said:

Disney is now guaranteed to reach $4B in OS gross, probs even before Moana is released. It has already surpassed its previous record (2015) of $3.57B, which is (and now was) the third biggest a studio has ever achieved. It will also push Fox's 2014 total of $3.73B out of the way by next weekend. The overseas crown is currently held by Universal's 2015 gross of $4.44B, but unless Moana and Rogue One tank big size, then Disney will be holding the crown by late December. Projection for final total: $4.7-4.8B. The domestic all-time crown is also a foregone conclusion (current holder: Universal $2.44B, Disney's current 2016 gross: $2.15B -> projection for final total: $3.0-3.1B). What a year!

Incredible :o Congrats Disney :)

18 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Billy Lynn - Nov.11

Deepwater Horizon - Nov.15

Madame Bovary&The Warriors Gate - Nov.18

Allied - Nov.23

Fantastic Beasts & Moana - Nov.25

Miss Peregrine - Dec.2

Thanks.

Not looks so strong for me. Fantastic Beasts just opens three weeks later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Why would Strange do less than Antman in China? 

Well, i don't get the big deal either.....but i think i got theories why some people would expect less than expected for Doctor Strange in China.

1. So many local chinese movies that probably has bigger appeal/hype than Doctor Strange over there.

2. There's too many of them. Which could result cutting Strange's legs off easily.....if the chinese audience likes those movies way more than this film.

Either they don't want a Hollywood blockbuster to be too much of a breakout and rather want to see their own local films come on top. That's maybe how it goes.

China-grosses for Hollywood blockbusters are unpredictable....and they could either result to a breakout....or an underperforming run.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2016 at 1:46 AM, keysersoze123 said:

Xmen over performed a bit. The fact that it beat DOFP while facing Warcraft 5 days after its opening. Xmen Apocalypse pre sales did not look so hot too, so there is hope that Dr. Strange will surprise.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Purple Minion said:

From a Disney press release:

Disney’s 2016 global record comes on the heels of a powerful $87.7M international opening for Marvel’s Doctor Strange, which is now at $110.1M internationally.

Way to go Disney!

13 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Global Disney total reaches new studio record: $5.85B

Among Disney's industry records, broken this year: fastest studio to hit $2B NA (July 16), $3B OS (July 6) and $5B global (July 10).

source: Deadline

Disney is such a juggernaut, never underestimate Mickey Mouse :wub:

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Disney is such a juggernaut, never underestimate Mickey Mouse :wub:

Well, the mouse bought many of the successes they are having. If I am not wrong, they spent 15 billion buying Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm. They are not specially creative. They bought the material and now they are exploiting it. Of course, good for them for making so good business, but it is starting to be a monopoly.

• Like 2

Just now, peludo said:

Well, the mouse bought many of the successes they are having. If I am not wrong, they spent 15 billion buying Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm. They are not specially creative. They bought the material and now they are exploiting it. Of course, good for them for making so good business, but it is starting to be a monopoly.

While that is true they're still the ones who saw the potential and bought them, many other conglomerates could have bought them if they wanted to and benefit from it. So still kudos to Disney on these ones.

And by the way they're managing Star Wars so much more efficiently than George Lucas / Lucas Films. And they made Marvel the huge brand it is now by giving the money and a media empire empire to help it when it comes to movies.

The only minus is Pixar, I'd love Disney to increase its size to help it produce more movies, mixing original movies and sequels because I'm not satisfied about Pixar : their only movies that I loved this decade are Toy Story 3 and Inside Out.

And ther rebirth of WDAS brings me such joy. :D

• Like 1