grim22

The Hunger Games Franchise: What went so right (THG, CF) and then so wrong (MJ1, MJ2)

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Even HP wasn't immune. The second and third films took a nosedive before the follow-ups stabilized.

Yes but again, we knew it was gonna be a 6, 7 or 8 film franchise so of course it can't retain that and the audience would fade in and out over a decade. If HP was a trilogy it would have stayed at the first films level for both films and it would have never lost its audience probably.

seems all my ideas why it was decreasing were covered. third book it was based on not that universally loved to begin with, splitting it- the least liked book in the series hurt it. the fact that Part 1 had very little of significance happen turned off movie audiences to the final JLaw has lost some of her draw. HG is a YA series, being it has a large teenage fanbase which are fickle, impatience and outgrow things quickly.. also them releasing them too close together may have played a factor, but the biggest factor was spitting it in two and not being a beloved book. I also believe the hype for FW has played a factor on just about everything released this time of year. 

Allegiant could end up being the first film series were part 2 of the final is never made. if that movie it's $100m at this point. it will be a miracle. 

Edited by Kalo

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Why did it? 

I think maybe because the first two were really light and kid friendly.. by the time the third one came out it was thought of as a "kids" series. then Azkaban came out it ended up being darker and generally better received upon hindsight causing a tone shift that expanded the audience as well as catering to its already existing fan base by aging it's themes with them. thus the PG-13 rating of GoF confirming it and also being a pretty good film. 

• Like 2

CF to MJ1 drop is not that big a deal imo, considering MJ1 didn't feature the games and was a 'part 1'.

MJ1 to MJ2 could drop 20% (~270m dom) or more and that's a bit of a surprise.

I think the marketing wasn't good. Wasn't sold like a must-see epic finale. But maybe the book did not have enough material? (haven't read it).

Hobbit 3 came close to Hobbit 2's bo. Battle of five armies seemed like it would be a visual treat and a worthy conclusion + another chance to see Smaug.

MJ2 seemed to lack that x-factor that finale's have.

Maybe it seems "disappointing" only because the first 2 films over-performed and brought in folks who had not read the books, and so they were not that invested in the conclusion.

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

CF to MJ1 drop is not that big a deal imo, considering MJ1 didn't feature the games and was a 'part 1'.

MJ1 to MJ2 could drop 20% (~270m dom) or more and that's a bit of a surprise.

I think the marketing wasn't good. Wasn't sold like a must-see epic finale. But maybe the book did not have enough material? (haven't read it).

Hobbit 3 came close to Hobbit 2's bo. Battle of five armies seemed like it would be a visual treat and a worthy conclusion + another chance to see Smaug.

MJ2 seemed to lack that x-factor that finale's have.

Maybe it seems "disappointing" only because the first 2 films over-performed and brought in folks who had not read the books, and so they were not that invested in the conclusion.

Book had plenty of material, but the thing is it was like GORY material. They had to water it down a LOT to keep it at PG-13, and even then, they cut whole scenes out of the book. Looked a little silly on screen, seeing all those massacred people with no blood at all. (Is that a spoiler? I mean it's war so massacred people can't be a huge spoiler, right?)

Edited by angeldelmito
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The movie movie from June to November most likely 

That had no affect, it was something else. The first HG movie was in March, and then the rest of them moved to November. If it didn't affect the gross (at least negatively) for THG, why would it for HP?

5 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Book had plenty of material, but the thing is it was like GORY material. They had to water it down a LOT to keep it at PG-13, and even then, they cut whole scenes out of the book. Looked a little silly on screen, seeing all those massacred people with no blood at all. (Is that a spoiler? I mean it's war so massacred people can't be a huge spoiler, right?)

Right. I think they failed to convey the scale of the war, the massacre and poignancy in the promos too.

15 hours ago, Telemachos said:

You can show the horrors of war within a PG-13 context: WAR HORSE, for example.

It's really different with this. This is futuristic gory war shit, not WW1. There are scenes like where a gigantic purple beam shoots out into a highly populated area, forcing blood to come out of every hole in their body (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc). Katniss was over here SLIPPING in the gore, lol. They literally SLAVED over this movie in order for it to be PG-13. Lmao, Mockingjay fucks you up.

Edited by angeldelmito
Put emphasis on futuristic bc of some ppl thinking I meant that WW1 wasn't gory enough. -.-

2 hours ago, angeldelmito said:
It's really different with this. This is futuristic gory war shit, not WW1. There are scenes like where a gigantic purple beam shoots out into a highly populated area, forcing blood to come out of every hole in their body (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc). Katniss was over here SLIPPING in the gore, lol. They literally SLAVED over this movie in order for it to be PG-13. Lmao, Mockingjay fucks you up.

Are you actually suggesting that WWI is a sanitized war compared to some VFX-y futuristic thing?

• Like 11