grim22

The Hunger Games Franchise: What went so right (THG, CF) and then so wrong (MJ1, MJ2)

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Mockingjay 1 was about as dull as a big blockbuster can get. I still haven't seen P2 yet. Rushed out to see the first two

Yeah, it s simple really, MJ1 killed any excitement & momentum the franchise had, your post sums up how lots of people felt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Mockingjay 1 was about as dull as a big blockbuster can get. I still haven't seen P2 yet. Rushed out to see the first two

Are you sure it wasn't just because you are a liberal white male who can't stand strong women and anti-establishment messages in your movies??? :ph34r: 

• Like 11

Just now, Telemachos said:

I'm not talking about the numerical data about the decrease in that demo, I'm talking about putting forth political reasons for the decrease.

i was putting forth my GUESS for the reason. something of that sheer magnitude isn't a coincidence, we're talking dozens of millions of people. i think anyone would be hard-pressed to come up with a better reason, or one that isn't political

Just now, water said:

i was putting forth my GUESS for the reason. something of that sheer magnitude isn't a coincidence, we're talking dozens of millions of people. i think anyone would be hard-pressed to come up with a better reason, or one that isn't political

How about this - the movie and marketing just did not look appealing. Pretty simple like that. I watched Catching Fire on opening day and couldn't be bothered to check out MJ1 or MJ2, has literally nothing to do with politics and everything to do with me thinking the movie just looked bad. Reviews didn't help either when all reviewers said it was a step below previous entries and felt like half a movie.

• Like 8

I'll come up with one: people didn't really care. Certainly not to the extent of making sure they saw it in theaters.

Just now, grim22 said:

How about this - the movie and marketing just did not look appealing. Pretty simple like that. I watched Catching Fire on opening day and couldn't be bothered to check out MJ1 or MJ2, has literally nothing to do with politics and everything to do with me thinking the movie just looked bad. Reviews didn't help either when all reviewers said it was a step below previous entries and felt like half a movie.

wait wait wait. why would only WHITE people not care, and why would the movie and marketing only look not appealing to WHITE people? i just showed on the last page data which shows that there was no drop-off in non-white audience, only white. neither of you have given reasons for why the movie would appeal less to WHITE people. again, i provided data showing MJ1 was just as popular as CF among non-white audiences, why did it drop in popularity 30% among white audiences.

Just now, water said:

wait wait wait. why would only WHITE people not care, and why would the movie and marketing only look not appealing to WHITE people? i just showed on the last page data which shows that there was no drop-off in non-white audience, only white. neither of you have given reasons for why the movie would appeal less to WHITE people. again, i provided data showing MJ1 was just as popular as CF among non-white audiences, why did it drop in popularity 30% among white audiences.

Seeing how I am not white in the least (I can probably go back as many generations as I want and not run into a white ancestor), I did not care for it either. So where is this "Only white people did not care" argument stand now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Seeing how I am not white in the least (I can probably go back as many generations as I want and not run into a white ancestor), I did not care for it either. So where is this "Only white people did not care" argument stand now?

do you live in north america? and also 

36 minutes ago, water said:

(sources: MPAA Theatrical Market Statistics reports for 2013 & 2014 (they started making these reports in 2013 so there's no 2012 report for THG))

i think it should be pointed out that from CF to MJ1 only attendance of white people dropped. for non-white people attendance remained on-par with CF. and attendance of males dropped more than attendance of females

tumblr_inline_nyafkd1olC1qdld5l_1280.png

basically according to these numbers, ~30% of white people who showed up for CF didn't come back for MJ1 for some reason, while ~100% of non-white people who watched CF did come back for MJ1. and 22% of males didn't return, while 18% of females didn't return.

of the non-white people who saw CF, less than 1% didn't see MJ1. like i am not making this up

5 minutes ago, water said:

My wife is Latina and wasn't interested in seeing MJ2 either (because she thought MJ1 was a lousy movie)... this despite her enjoyment of the books.

I'm not convinced anything went wrong. (In fact, I kinda hate the "What Went Wrong" mentality. It's reductive, but that seems to be the way the forums go nowadays.)

If we instead ask why the latter two films aren't as big as the first two, there are a number of possibilities.

1. Even among book fans, Mockingjay is not nearly as well liked as the first two.

2. Franchise fatigue. Most franchises will see some sort of dieoff later on, as the casual audience is reduced and you just have the dedicated fans.

3. Splitting the third book may have annoyed some people, who decided to skip it.

4. MJ1 had the classic "split book" problem, where it didn't have an internal arc to tell, which dampened WoM. (although the legs were pretty much standard for the franchise.)

5. For MJ2, Star War has taken a lot of the press about all movies. It's become a relative non-event.

6. Arguably, THG and CF were both punching above their weight class. They had the sweet spot of dedicated fanbase and a curious audience to push them higher.

Would a single MJ film have done better? Possibly, but it wouldn't have done nearly as well as two films. Combined, the MJ films are probably going to hit around $600m DOM and 1.4b WW. All at a cost of... ~$250m? So basically an Avengers film. That's a success.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

My wife is Latina and wasn't interested in seeing MJ2 either (because she thought MJ1 was a lousy movie)... this despite her enjoyment of the books.

i'm talking about the drop from CF to MJ1, not the drop from MJ1 to MJ2 (if there does end up being one). and i'm sorry but 2 personal anecdotes in this thread don't really change data from the MPAA on 50 million people

1 minute ago, water said:

i'm talking about the drop from CF to MJ1, not the drop from MJ1 to MJ2 (if there does end up being one). and i'm sorry but 2 personal anecdotes in this thread don't really change data from the MPAA on 50 million people

They don't, but neither do your rather wild assumptions that millions and millions of people would "abandon" the franchise for a general political reason. :)

They don't, but neither do your rather wild assumptions that millions and millions of people would "abandon" the franchise for a general political reason. :)

is it that hard to believe 30% of white people are that racist

Yes, actually it is. And I'm not sure why they'd be racist for not going to see a movie about white protagonists.

because "if we burn you burn with us" was graffitid and chanted in ferguson, for example, and more than 30% of white people did not support those protests. that's just an EXAMPLE of the kind of parallels between MJ1 and things a portion of white people are against. and do you not realize i wouldn't be claiming this if ONLY white people didn't come back for MJ1? like why else would ONLY white people not come back for mj1, while 100% (or 99% if we must) of non-white people came back. please provide a reason that MJ1 did not appeal to white people, but did appeal to non-white people, and this discussion is over. otherwise i'm the only person who has put forward a theory.