grim22

The Hunger Games Franchise: What went so right (THG, CF) and then so wrong (MJ1, MJ2)

all i'm saying is

2014 $10,360.8 -5.2%              
2013 $10,923.6 +0.8%              

attendance of movies in north america dropped about 5% from 2013 to 2014. non-white attendance of CF->MJ1 managed to not drop at all! awesome! :D but white attendance of CF->MJ1 dropped 30%. boo. :( 

i'm done now

In my case (white male here), the reasons I haven't seen either Mockingjay movie and won't pay to see either one, despite liking the first two, are fairly straightforward.

The split annoyed me. So, I didn't rush out to see Part 1.

If I'd heard people talking about how good it was, I would have seen it in theaters anyway. I didn't.

And I never got around to seeing it later, and never had reason to feel any regret about not doing so.

So, the momentum of the series was broken for me.

If I'd heard about how Part 2 provided a triumphant conclusion to the series, I would have rushed out to see it despite not having seen Part 1.

Instead, the word I keep seeing is "bleak".  I don't like bleak in my entertainment.

So, if it's ever convenient to see one or the other without paying, I may do it. But I'm not going to seek them out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, water said:

(sources: MPAA Theatrical Market Statistics reports for 2013 & 2014 (they started making these reports in 2013 so there's no 2012 report for THG))

i think it should be pointed out that from CF to MJ1 only attendance of white people dropped. for non-white people attendance remained on-par with CF. and attendance of males dropped more than attendance of females

tumblr_inline_nyafkd1olC1qdld5l_1280.png

i don't think this is particularly surprising as there are probably a lot of conservative white people and men to an extent who weren't interested in/didn't like the anti-authority message of MJ1, and the obvious parallels between the "good guys" in MJ1 and various social justice movements in real life that have gotten mainstream attention since 2014. of course these themes were present in THG and CF as well, but the games were clearly a strong draw in those movies, while MJ1 and MJ2 were completely about the revolution. that's my best guess for an explanation of this peculiar data.

basically according to these numbers, ~30% of white people who showed up for CF didn't come back for MJ1 for some reason, while ~100% of non-white people who watched CF did come back for MJ1. and 22% of males didn't return, while 18% of females didn't return.

it will be interesting to see what MJ2 looks like when the 2015 report comes out.

Exhibit A for why the SJW act is starting to wear thin.

The never ending quest to find something to be angry about or offended by.   So if there was a perception that the MJ1 movie was a SJW crusade and that caused a drop in attendance, that doesn't say much for the tactics SJW's are using, does it?   Maybe the attack-dog style isn't winning hearts and minds.  (shocking)

Of course you would need to demonstrate that there was a new SJW message in MJ1 which did not exist in the previous installments for your theory to have any merit at all.  And then you need to demonstrate how the public found out about this new message before the movie came out since OW fell from 158m to 121m.

• Like 5

There is a simple reason for what happened.  The bandwagoners got off the wagon.  Once there were no more games, that was it.  Most didn't care after the games, and didn't care about the revolution.  That is why you didn't see this happening to harry potter and twilight.  You take a core element out of a series and there you go.  It's almost like taking vampires out of twilight.  In the end, it really is sad that many didn't care as the themes were always at least subtle in the first two movies.  Mockingjay just expanded them.  I also think many expected all four movies to be hunger games because the whole series is titled that.  Once they saw where the movies were headed the bandwagoners jumped ship.

I think it's just people didn't care for this one. Didn't feel like an event, at least for me. Then again I've been in my own little world for the past 6 months so I'm the last person to talk to about this. Or it just could be that Star Wars is the black hole on the horizon that is sucking all the energy out of every tentpole or wannabe tentpole released. And GTFO with the the racism talk. 

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

So first it was that movie critics are dumb and don't "get" this movie.  Now its basically "fuck white people"

Lol, so glad this is tanking. 

this is why we can't have productive discussions on these forums. i've been presenting civil arguments based on numerical data, you're blowing everything way out of proportion and going to extremes.

2 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Exhibit A for why the SJW act is starting to wear thin.

The never ending quest to find something to be angry about or offended by.   So if there was a perception that the MJ1 movie was a SJW crusade and that caused a drop in attendance, that doesn't say much for the tactics SJW's are using, does it?   Maybe the attack-dog style isn't winning hearts and minds.  (shocking)

Of course you would need to demonstrate that there was a new SJW message in MJ1 which did not exist in the previous installments for your theory to have any merit at all.  And then you need to demonstrate how the public found out about this new message before the movie came out since OW fell from 158m to 121m.

"the sjw act"? you have it completely backwards. i didn't "go looking for something to be offended by" -- no one ever does that and the fact that you think people do is kind of shitty. no one wants to be offended by things (obviously), if something offensive occurs that hurts someone and they complain about it, the problem is the perpetrator of the offensive thing, not the person offended by it. but this isn't even that situation. not only did i never say i or anyone else was offended, nor act like it, here, i specifically saw numerical data and THEN came up with an explanation for it. that's pretty logical and normal. it's what you do when you do with human-based data, apply sociology to it to come up with social reasons for the data.

i never said MJ1 was an "sjw" movie lmao, but even if i did how on earth would that be a bad reflection on "the tactics sjws are using"? i'll take being compared to freedom fighters rebelling against an evil capitol any day. what on earth are you trying to say lol.

i already explained that the message was there from the beginning but two factors changed with mj1: 1) no more games, so there was nothing left but the rebellion "sjw message" as you call it. 2) 2014 saw several activist movements/protests/riots gain widespread public attention, after CF but before MJ1. coupled with the loss of the games and MJ1 being marketed as poor oppressed people in rebellion against police brutality-emulating peacekeepers in protests and riots, well... i'm sure a lot of people could see parallels between that. all that was present in the marketing prior to OW.

-----------------

all these arguments saying "people just stopped caring" / "it wasn't as appealing" etc, sure, no problem. if we had no other information we could discuss that all day long. but we do have more information, race and gender breakdowns for CF and MJ1 from MPAA's reports. all i've done is presented numerical data that shows that from CF->MJ1, attendance of white people dropped 30%, while attendance of non-white people dropped less than 1%. so i'm asking, in this "what went wrong" thread, what about MJ1 turned away 30% of white people, while non-white attendance wasn't affected overall? why did 30% of white people "just stop caring" but non-white people didn't. why was it "not as appealing" to 30% of white people but still equally appealing to non-white people? etc. if you think it was critical reception, why did 30% of white people care about critical reception enough to not see it while >99% of non-white people didn't care enough to not see it? if you think it was because of the lack of games, why did 30% of white people care about the lack of games enough to not see it while >99% of non-white people didn't care enough to not see it? if you think it was because it looked dull, why did 30% of white people think it looked dull enough to not see it while >99% of non-white people didn't think that? if you don't have any answers to those specific questions then please stop harassing me, because i haven't attacked anyone here, just put ideas out.

Edited by water

2 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Where is the MPAA getting that demographic information from? Conflating hard, objective box office numbers with polls is not necessarily accurate or helpful.

the survey size in 2013 is over 5000 people, with a margin of error of 1.4%, and in 2014 is over 4000 people, with a margin of error of 1.55%. since i'm talking 30% vs <1%, the error has no effect.

Spoiler

Nothing went wrong. Part 1 was a success, so too is this one. As far as why there was a drop...some franchises peter out. It's not some complicated mystery. The games were the draw because some people are stupid and would rather not watch a movie about a rebellion that mirrors our own fucked up world. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 9