grim22

The Hunger Games Franchise: What went so right (THG, CF) and then so wrong (MJ1, MJ2)

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

"the lack of action" argument doesn't literally mean that they didn't like it because the lack of action, it means that they didn't like it because what they got was not good.

MJ1 OW dropped big after the well liked CF and the OW has almost nothing to do with the quality of the movie. You can explain the lower MJ2 OW with people disliking MJ1, but how do you explain MJ1's OW?

1 minute ago, misafeco said:

MJ1 OW dropped big after the well liked CF and the OW has almost nothing to do with the quality of the movie. You can explain the lower MJ2 OW with people disliking MJ1, but how do you explain MJ1's OW?

the fact that it didn't look as appealing as CF.

And no, it wasn't because it didn't have the games. In fact, I think rehashing the first two movies would have damaged P1 even more, we would get been there done that feel.

13 hours ago, Chewy said:

Mockingjay 1 was about as dull as a big blockbuster can get. I still haven't seen P2 yet. Rushed out to see the first two

This about sums it up imo.  

I also think that with all the other dystopian future films out there now, they all just blend together.  Are the plots to Maze Runner, Enders Game, Divergent or any other like minded film, really all that different?  

I'm a movie fan, and I haven't read any of the books.  I thought the first, from a casual fans pov, was fine but really sanitized considering its about games that kill people.  The second I think was ok, I really can't remember all that much about it.  By the time the third film came around, the only reason I saw it is because Seymour Hoffman was in it.  The story just goes nowhere imo.  

The final film is a mess and I didn't see it opening weekend and the only reason I did yesterday is because I had time to kill and it was the only film starting at that time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, water said:

Serious question, what makes you think this? I'm not joking either, I genuinely want to know what I have said or done that makes you think I'm not serious. Everything I say as an "SJW" is completely normal and makes sense. Your view of the world is troubling if you think anything I say isn't legit. Not to mention how people gang up on me and make me look like the crazy one when I actually have an argument based on numerical fact, and 10 people can be like "no you're wrong" but when I ask "ok what's your answer to this question then" none of them have one. If anything, the people that argue against me seem more like anti-SJW parodies, but sadly they're not, people really are like that.

The films got boring.  It has nothing to do with race.  

Move along.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

You said this:

You said there are "obvious parallels" between MJ1 and SJW movements and pointed out they got a lot of attention since 2114....which indicates that attention was what turned off the white public.   So your claim is that SJWs are having a negative effect on the attitudes of the public.

You put out ideas which fed into a political agenda.   

As you say here, the politics have been with this franchise from the beginning.   That part did not change.   Thus, we can rule that out as a reason for the decrease in attendance by white people.  

But...you ignored logical thinking and instead immediately jumped on the very thing which does not correlate with the drop in attendance.   That indicates an agenda.   You want to blame "racism".

Now if you want to claim that the public is growing tired of the SJW act and that effected the movie...ok.   But that puts the fault at the feet of the extremist SJW's who are making a daily nuisance of themselves...not "white people".    As you pointed out, the message wasn't a problem.

And we are still left with that sticky problem of the OW decrease.   How do you explain how this "racism" popped up before anyone actually saw the movie?

That's the problem with making assumptions based on polls.   You are stereotyping an entire race based on a sample size of 4000 people.

Or maybe it's something else which actually correlates?   Not as sexy as "racism" of course.

jeeeeesus christ. do you really think that "social justice movement" and "SJW" are the same thing? they're not. social justice is a real concept that has been a thing for as long as humans have existed. SJW is a term for people on the internet who argue for social justice, which "anti-SJW" attempt to use as a derogatory term, which is really sad.

MJ1 had obvious parallels with social justice movements such as the protests in Ferguson. racist people, mostly white, were against those protests. thus i hypothesize that some of those racist people decided not to see MJ1 for that reason. this has nothing to do with people's asinine opinions about SJWs-- the more you and people like you hate SJWs, the more "SJW tactics" are working.

we can't rule that out because it wasn't until after CF, but before MJ1 that those social justice movements gained mainstream attention. CF had games which, in my theory, drew the casual audiences, and when there were no more games the revolution was brought to the forefront.

i'm not putting the blame on SJWs, i'm putting the blame on the portion of white casual audiences that are racist. i don't "want" to, there are cold hard numbers showing that ONLY white attendance dropped while non-white attendance remained stable.

as I explained before, ALL of this was present in the marketing, which took place BEFORE THE OW, and thus that is how this happened BEFORE THE OW. 

4000 is a HUGE sample size. the margin of error is negligible. i'm not basing my claims on that though, the numbers are FACT. i don't need a survey to tell me that there are racist people. a LOT of them are white. way more than 30% of white people are.

9 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Just noticed something kinda funny.

Watching Jessica Jones on Netflix.    The writers appear to be quite liberal.   Not a shock in Hollywood of course.   Seems to be a concerted effort to include interracial couples and same sex couples.   No big deal to me....hard to find happiness in this short life so people should be able to pair up with whomever can make them happy.    But the real effort on the part of the writers is there.

And get this...there is a scene in one episode where we encounter an obnoxious SJW on a bicycle.   He makes loud claims about how he is "saving the planet" and berates other characters for not doing their part.   He comes off as a douchebag.   

So even liberal writers are sick of the SJW act?   That's hilarious.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever read, sorry. someone yelling about riding bikes in a show is not "an SJW". if the writers are doing all those liberal things then they are SJWs. do you really think anyone who is annoying about an opinion is an SJW? what on earth. this is actually really funny. like that character clearly wasn't taking disabled people who can't ride bikes into account, for example, so he's obviously not an SJW as you described him. see that was me being an SJW. it sounds more like that scene was about an obnoxious straight white male. i'm sorry but that was a desperate argument on your part.

---------

i'm leaving this thread now. i'll just repeat what i've said before, hopefully more clearly this time. if this thread is "what went wrong", well from CF to MJ1, NOTHING went wrong among non-white audiences. non-white attendance did not drop at all. therefore this thread is INHERENTLY "what went wrong WITH WHITE AUDIENCES"-- white attendance dropped 30% while non-white attendance didn't drop at all. what is the DIFFERENCE between white people and non-white people that made white attendance drop 30% while non-white attendance didn't drop at all. what about MJ1 turned away 30% of white people while not turning away non-white people.

yes,  MJ1's critical reception was lower/there were no games/it was bleaker/etc. if this had an effect, which it probably did, it effected all races equally. but if this did have an effect, it was a small effect, as evidenced by the SMALL drop in non-white audiences. yet there was a HUGE drop in white audiences and white audiences only.

MJ1 dropped 30% in white attendance, and 0% in non-white attendance. it dropped more in male attendance than female attendance.

i think one thing we can all agree on is that it's time to let this thread die. goodbye.

Edited by water

This is why MJ1 did not do well 

Leader of the Rebels: "This Revolution is about everyone!"

Katniss: "Then you should have saved Peeta wahhhhhhhhhh" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Katniss goes from a strong character to just so annoying and unlikable in Mj1.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

My, this thread got scary.

My brief two cents on the "why":

1. No Games. There was no "hook" in Mockingjay.

2. The book wasn't as well-received by the fanbase.

3. The split, but to a lesser extent than I would have predicted before MJ2 came out. If MJ2 had performed about at the same level as MJ1, like most were predicting, I would say the drop from CF was due to the split. But since MJ2 continued to plummet from MJ1, I have to think that the split is less a factor than just plain lack of interest in the Mockingjay story.

4. Poor marketing.

5. Many call the YA/dystopian thing a fad. (I remember would-be authors being advised to hurry and get their dystopian Hunger Games-wannabe books done and published as quickly as possible before the fanbase moved on to the next trend.) Perhaps people are already over it.

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 1

Jennifer's leaked nudes. :D

I still want to see what the drop off is for the Mormon community (SLC) that supported this movie. I think it was one of the biggest markets (if not the biggest) for this series. Rth can confirm.

I've read all three book series and know the stories well, so they stand apart to me, but I must concede that to a GA member, once you take away the "hook" of each series, they all basically seem to be the same thing. That's the issue with each of these series, actually. The hook disappears by the final book and they all essentially start telling the same story.

20 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I've got to say The Hunger Games, the first one, felt like more of an event film then any other film that's come out in my lifetime. A month before the release date and no one would shut up about the thing, people had to get a hold of the books, people were skipping school to go see the movie. It was huge.

Apparently with Mockingjay these movies just didn't feel like that kind of event anymore

Star Wars will be the next big movie event in your life. 

• Like 1

I look at it the the first one benefited coming out after HP and Twilight.  That audience was going to be starved for a new place to go and THG was the answer so it exploded the first movie.  The second movie did what a some breakouts do, the GA looks around and goes what the heck was that movie that made so much money and decide to give it a try, so the second film goes up.  However, what tends to happen is some of that GA that saw the second one goes "well that wasn't anything special" and they fall away so the numbers go down on the third one and it continues to fall.  

However with this one, I think the fanbase didn't go as much either so that is why the bigger drop than before.

Edited by 75live

3 hours ago, water said:

jeeeeesus christ. do you really think that "social justice movement" and "SJW" are the same thing? they're not. social justice is a real concept that has been a thing for as long as humans have existed. SJW is a term for people on the internet who argue for social justice, which "anti-SJW" attempt to use as a derogatory term, which is really sad.

MJ1 had obvious parallels with social justice movements such as the protests in Ferguson. racist people, mostly white, were against those protests. thus i hypothesize that some of those racist people decided not to see MJ1 for that reason. this has nothing to do with people's asinine opinions about SJWs-- the more you and people like you hate SJWs, the more "SJW tactics" are working.

we can't rule that out because it wasn't until after CF, but before MJ1 that those social justice movements gained mainstream attention. CF had games which, in my theory, drew the casual audiences, and when there were no more games the revolution was brought to the forefront.

i'm not putting the blame on SJWs, i'm putting the blame on the portion of white casual audiences that are racist. i don't "want" to, there are cold hard numbers showing that ONLY white attendance dropped while non-white attendance remained stable.

as I explained before, ALL of this was present in the marketing, which took place BEFORE THE OW, and thus that is how this happened BEFORE THE OW. 

4000 is a HUGE sample size. the margin of error is negligible. i'm not basing my claims on that though, the numbers are FACT. i don't need a survey to tell me that there are racist people. a LOT of them are white. way more than 30% of white people are.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever read, sorry. someone yelling about riding bikes in a show is not "an SJW". if the writers are doing all those liberal things then they are SJWs. do you really think anyone who is annoying about an opinion is an SJW? what on earth. this is actually really funny. like that character clearly wasn't taking disabled people who can't ride bikes into account, for example, so he's obviously not an SJW as you described him. see that was me being an SJW. it sounds more like that scene was about an obnoxious straight white male. i'm sorry but that was a desperate argument on your part.

---------

i'm leaving this thread now. i'll just repeat what i've said before, hopefully more clearly this time. if this thread is "what went wrong", well from CF to MJ1, NOTHING went wrong among non-white audiences. non-white attendance did not drop at all. therefore this thread is INHERENTLY "what went wrong WITH WHITE AUDIENCES"-- white attendance dropped 30% while non-white attendance didn't drop at all. what is the DIFFERENCE between white people and non-white people that made white attendance drop 30% while non-white attendance didn't drop at all. what about MJ1 turned away 30% of white people while not turning away non-white people.

yes,  MJ1's critical reception was lower/there were no games/it was bleaker/etc. if this had an effect, which it probably did, it effected all races equally. but if this did have an effect, it was a small effect, as evidenced by the SMALL drop in non-white audiences. yet there was a HUGE drop in white audiences and white audiences only.

MJ1 dropped 30% in white attendance, and 0% in non-white attendance. it dropped more in male attendance than female attendance.

i think one thing we can all agree on is that it's time to let this thread die. goodbye.

Interesting look into the mind of a SJW.

If white people do anything, it must be for a negative reason...usually "racism".

The only possible way to oppose the Ferguson protests is also "racism".

Social justice has been around for centuries, but somehow "racists" only found out about it recently due to SJW's whom you claim have no connection to social justice.

Creating hate is a good thing to a SJW "the tactics are working"....but you wonder why they are disliked.

These mysterious "racists" didn't mind the politics as long as the "games" were around but suddenly couldn't stomach it after that.

Somehow all this was presented in the marketing and that explained how all the "racists" knew about this before the movie was released.

The lack of logic is stunning.

And yeah, douchebags on bikes berating people while bragging that they are "saving the planet" are SJWs.   Kinda funny that even liberal writers can't bear them any more.   More "tactics are working" for you.   Congrats.    Oh...I'm a social liberal myself.

Grasping for a political agenda at every opportunity just makes you look silly.   This franchise has issues not related to the politics which were present from the beginning.    Again, you actually seized upon the one thing we can effectively rule out as a reason.

• Like 2