kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Oh yeah..count the franchise that no one gives a shit ..not the actor..not the director..but contractually they both have to do it even if they don't like each other.

I'm just saying. He's young. I don't really think it's a big deal that he hasn't worked with the same director twice. Chazelle obviously considered it

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm just saying. He's young. I don't really think it's a big deal that he hasn't worked with the same director twice. Chazelle obviously considered it

Then changed his mind without even personally telling Teller while the film they made together was getting Oscar consideration. 

• Like 1

First Man? Thought it was about an a fictional husband of a female POTUS...

On 12/30/2016 at 2:25 PM, TalismanRing said:

Then changed his mind without even personally telling Teller while the film they made together was getting Oscar consideration. 

When Emma Watson left the project to do Beauty and the Beast Chazelle reached out to Emma Stone and then once you have Stone, why not consider Gosling? Also Lionsgate was willing to increase LLL's budget with the casting upgrade change:

For the filmmakers, the turnover in casting was no harm, no foul; rather the nature of the beast when you’re developing a project for six years, through different permutations. When the possibility of casting Stone and Gosling arose, it made the actuary table for La La Land’s finances look better, with more box office comps supporting the film’s potential success. As such, Lionsgate could increase the budget.

So that might have tipped the scales on the casting decision, juuuuust a bit... 

As for this movie, it covers 1961-1969 in Neil Armstrong's life, he had his share of personal tragedy amidst the professional triumph:

Armstrong married his first wife Janet Shearon on January 28, 1956. Their first son Eric was born in 1957, followed by daughter, Karen, in 1959. Karen died of a brain tumor in January 1962, and the couple's second son Mark was born in 1963. 

There might be enough for Mrs. Armstrong to do in the movie that it could be a sought-after role for an actress, you know, the classic supportive wife role that wins Oscars. I don't know how much Chazelle is going to care about sticking close to reality with her appearance, usually in biopics the Hollywood version is moderately to infinitely more attractive, but here's the real Janet Armstrong back then:

ss-120825-armstrong-22.grid-7x2.jpg

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

First Man? Thought it was about an a fictional husband of a female POTUS...

When Emma Watson left the project to do Beauty and the Beast Chazelle reached out to Emma Stone and then once you have Stone, why not consider Gosling? Also Lionsgate was willing to increase LLL's budget with the casting upgrade change:

So that might have tipped the scales on the casting decision, juuuuust a bit... 

As for this movie, it covers 1961-1969 in Neil Armstrong's life, he had his share of personal tragedy amidst the professional triumph:

There might be enough for Mrs. Armstrong to do in the movie that it could be a sought-after role for an actress, you know, the classic supportive wife role that wins Oscars. I don't know how much Chazelle is going to care about sticking close to reality with her appearance, usually in biopics the Hollywood version is moderately to infinitely more attractive, but here's the real Janet Armstrong back then:

ss-120825-armstrong-22.grid-7x2.jpg

Michelle Williams. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 0:21 AM, filmlover said:

Watch this get super fast-tracked to make it to the end of the year to make up for this year lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go for a summer release. Kinda wish studios would take note and realize that it's possible for an adult-targeted to make money in the summer.

They wanted that festival circuit though, which is a bit of a prerequisite for a potential awards title. This takes Venice, Telluride, TIFF and London. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go for a summer release. Kinda wish studios would take note and realize that it's possible for an adult-targeted to make money in the summer.

4 of last 5 best picture winners have been released in October. Chazelle has probably studied this shit with CHARTS AND GRAPHS to figure out the best release date so he can't possibly lose again.

this is the face of a man who doesn't want to get wronged again.

damien-k00G--620x349@abc.JPG

• Like 12

Just now, aabattery said:

Bah gawd. Two projects in a single day. That Golden Globe is doing wonders.

Just one project actually, she can't do both. They both release within a week of one another, it's a competition between them.

• Like 1