kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

Need to know if there's a staggering ending in there too. After three movies with those it'd be unfair if Chazelle just stopped trying to one-up himself with every new one. 

Be pretty funny if this took best picture while losing best director. (To Barry Jenkins.)

Damien Chazelle apparently did a Q&A this week and said that he shot FIRST MAN in IMAX, 16mm and 35mm.

Posted by: notfabio on Feb 25, 08:42

In the past as an incentive for shooting with IMAX cameras,  IMAX gave films shot in the format a 2 week or longer run in their theatres.

If they stick with a October 12th release date, means VENOM will get a one week run in its current date and MOWGLI (if it sticks on October 19th) will either get a limited one or none at all (it was part of the long term slate agreement WB struck with IMAX a few years ago back when it was still called Jungle Book).  

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=445131

• Like 1

IMAX confirmed

Damien Chazelle, the director of La La Land is directing Universal's First Man, the story of Neil Armstrong, which also comes out in October. Damien filmed select sequences of First Man in IMAX, which gives the space-themed film a terrific look for our cinemas.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4151487-imax-imax-q4-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Those IMAX sequences should obviously be great. That 16mm stuff blown up to IMAX is gonna look like dogshit (which may be the point -- I assume that'll be the stuff shot by the astronauts themselves).

Yeah, I think Chazelle has something akin to what Boyle did on STEVE JOBS in mind for this. He wouldn't go for 35 AND 16, as well as IMAX 70, otherwise.

• Like 1

Jason Clarke talks about this quite a bit in this interview:

I’m going to run out of time with you but I have to talk about something that I’m dying to see which is First Man. Damien Chazelle put together a phenomenal cast; he’s on a bit of a roll. With a project like that, is it pretty much the agent tells you Damien wants to meet with you and you’re just like, “Yeah, sounds great.”

CLARKE: That was the first call I got. I think after Ryan I was the first guy cast. I was the first guy they reached out to. It took us a while to reach a deal, but I was the first person he reached out to. We sat down we had dinner and I was like, of course, Damien Chazelle- I had just watched both of his films and I loved them. When you meet a young artist like that who’s just on fire inside, in some kind of way. Damien’s a very calm- you just sense it with him when you see him work. He is, he’s just on fire. He’s just blazing with what he wants and where he wants it and how. He just ran me through the story and I said, “That’s a film I’m going to want to see myself.” I think the landing on the moon is one of the great stories of humanity. That is one of the greatest achievements I think we’ve ever, ever made. It’s incredible. I thought, no matter when this comes out the world, as a viewer- I loved that about La La Land. It was a great film to see. Even though it was a bittersweet ending- the life he could have had. There’s something about- that just fills you, at the two movies I’ve seen. You just go wow, that’s reaffirming for me.

The thing that I find so impressive about his work is that he is a filmmaker and an entertainer. It’s were artistry and movies meet. Not every movie has great filmmaking.

CLARKE: He knows how to shoot big and grand. He knows how to make a movie.

That’s what I’m curious about with…

CLARKE: You’ve got to wait to see this man, yeah. You’re not going to be disappointed.

So, for people who don’t know, who do you play in it?

CLARKE: I play Ed White Jr., who was the first American to walk in space. When we went down to NASA I got a lot of love because on NASA’s evolution he was a pivotal man. The put him out of space ship, into space. He was also one of Neil’s best friends and neighbor when they were in the training program. He was probably going to be the first man on the moon, along with Gus Grissom, but they burnt up in Apollo 1 the test. That would have been the Apollo 1, the first one to go in the Saturn. They burnt up in a plugs out test and died tragically. All of the guys at NASA, I met a lot of them, have still never forgiven themselves for one of the great NASA mess ups. Which set their tone for- from now on we will never make a mistake like that again.

It’s such an amazing story, but I can’t even imagine filming stuff like that. That’s another historical thing.

CLARKE: He finds a way to film it. All of Damien’s films- his POV’s, perspective, his camera, is just fascinating. You watch where he puts his camera, or you watch how he moves his camera, and I think La La Land, his whole film was steady cam. Literally, the whole film was steady cam. When he’s on a crane, the operators coming down off the crane, still on the same steady cam. There’s no camera up there alone. No, it’s the operator. It just gave a fluidity. On this one, he’s got a different- you’ll see it. I’ve never seen so many actors just checking out his monitor. Not to watch performance, but to watch what he’s after.

Sure.

CLARKE: You see what he’s after and you go, holy moly.

Also I made a club :sparta:

• Like 1

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/first-man-movie-ryan-gosling-neil-armstrong-damien-chazelle-1201952863/

“Damien had a very clear vision from the outset. He said, ‘Can we get across how challenging this was? Can we get across the visceral nature of this?’ The space program has been depicted, tonally, on the softer side in the past,” Singer said.

“Damien said, ‘I want to be terrified the entire time.’ It’s one of the earliest things we talked about. Neil’s heroism isn’t because he landed on the moon, it’s because he had the wherewithal to live through it all.”

“This is 100 percent a mission movie. It’s about going to the moon as seen through the eyes of the guy who got there,” added Singer. “We have at least five major set pieces that are action, and if your heart rate doesn’t go through the roof, if you’re not gripping the edge of your seat the entire times, I’ll be shocked.” 

CAN DADDY CHAZELLE DO ANYTHING WRONG?

flat,800x800,075,f.u8.jpg

• Like 1

If that's anywhere near accurate then I am super excited. Whiplash was electrifying and had me sweating by the end. Couldn't stand Bla Bla Bland but Whiplash is the definition of "visceral" as he says there.