kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers | 13.8 M THG: MOCKINGJAY II | 9.8 M THE GOOD DINOSAUR | 6.0 M CREED

1 minute ago, AJG said:

In London £10-15. That's $15-23 for you guys in the US.

So basically a family of 4 got suckered into watching Momentum by the looks of it, or maybe they only had 2 hours and all other movies didn't have a convenient start time.

• Like 1

I don't doubt for a second that Creed is affecting Good Dinosaur. Older audiences that do show up for the Pixar movies have found the amazing reaction to Creed hard to resist. They'll still go see Dinosaur in the coming days/weeks, but with both Creed and a strong sophomore Mockingjay, it's definitely a chunk of Pixar's audience that might not show up for a little longer than normal. 

I saw TGD doing $80-90 million 5 day, but really didn't expect Creed to open this big. 

16 minutes ago, Klingo said:

Jesus thats expensive.  They scaring away customers with that.

Cinemas over here have also been know to raise the price of tickets for big blockbusters.

My guess is that it's to balance out the money lost due to everybody bringing food and drinks from the '99p Store' next door (the popcorn from the 99p Store is also infinitely better than any popcorn found at the cinema).

So if Creed only does 7.5 today, if it were to follow Life of Pi (only other adult themed film I can think of to compare it to ) then it would do something like 

56.5 mill for the 5 day.  And with LIP's legs, it would clear 150 mill.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

So if Creed only does 7.5 today, if it were to follow Life of Pi (only other adult themed film I can think of to compare it to ) then it would do something like 

My Winter Game would like that OW.

• Like 3

Just now, AJG said:

Cinemas over here have also been know to raise the price of tickets for big blockbusters.

My guess is that it's to balance out the money lost due to everybody bringing food and drinks from the '99p Store' next door (the popcorn from the 99p Store is also infinitely better than any popcorn found at the cinema).

Makes sense.  Do they sneak it in, or allow them to go through openly?  In the states, we sneak the food in. 

Wow, Creed is probably a tad frontloaded given that, yes, it's a sequel, but I think the 5-day is looking good for $40M or so. A fantastic result, really. Also, some much needed good news for WB after the crummy year they've had (and look to end on- In the Heart of the Sea and Point Break seem like inevitable underperformers).

3 minutes ago, Klingo said:

Makes sense.  Do they sneak it in, or allow them to go through openly?  In the states, we sneak the food in. 

Nah, you can just walk in with it. The cinemas all allow outside food. They try not to publicise that though.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Don't think Life of Pi is a  great comparison since Creed kind of has a franchise nature going for it. Still its doing really excellent though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

Folks shouldn't forget to check out Spotlight if they can. It's a terrific movie. Plus, it features my first and last names being said multiple times. 

They say RichWS?  :huh:

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Nah, you can just walk in with it. The cinemas all allow outside food. They try not to publicise that though.

I believe hot food isn't allowed in but snacks are fine. I saw someone being stopped for trying to bring in McDonald's once. 

MGM seems to be doing a lot of films with Warner Bros and New Line with Creed, How to be Single, Me Before You and Barbershop to name but a few. The only films which are not being released by WB in 2016 are Ben-Hur which is through Paramount and The Magnificent Seven which is through Sony. Wonder if WB are trying to get their hands on Bond hence why they're working with MGM on a number of films

Edited by Jonwo