BenedictL11

Creed OS THread

Creed began its international in 7 smaller territories with a combined $2.26 million. Australia is the biggest of the bunch with $1.22 million earned from 188 screens, followed by the United Arab Emirates ($333k from 56 screens) and New Zealand ($100k from 46 screens). The Rocky spinoff will continue its expansion throughout December and January. 

Sorce: BoxOffice.com

38 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

Creed began its international in 7 smaller territories with a combined $2.26 million. Australia is the biggest of the bunch with $1.22 million earned from 188 screens, followed by the United Arab Emirates ($333k from 56 screens) and New Zealand ($100k from 46 screens). The Rocky spinoff will continue its expansion throughout December and January. 

Sorce: BoxOffice.com

Meh.

Why so few screens in Australia? Could it get more screens in the next week(s) because of WOM?

Overall I think this movie will do fine WW (at least according to the budget). It will especially do fine in France and hopefully GB, Germany and Scandinavia. About Russia I'm not sure. But probably WOM will help a lot in all countries.

When it comes to Germany, my (very early) prediction is 1M admissions, pretty much in line with Rocky Balboa. The trailers were very well received and there is still (a lot of interest).

Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler are still too unknown here and Fantastic Four did not help but I think this movie has enough Rocky elements to bring back (all) the fans. Plus it has already the curiosity factor if it is really that good. And I have always the feeling that Germans are monitoring (a lot more than other nations) what is "cool" in the USA. Many people tend to avoid movies that flopped in the USA but want to see hits.

Yesterday, RTL (our biggest TV station) broadcasted the fight Klitschko vs. Fury and subsequent Rocky (1976). To my surprise

there was already advertising for Creed. Only a few seconds but still that's not a bad sign.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, fmpro said:

Was there any new openings this weekend?

Yes, rentrak says it opened in three new markets. It's Denmark and South Africa but I don't know which is the third one.

Do you think it did well in Denmark and was well liked?

54 minutes ago, el sid said:

Yes, rentrak says it opened in three new markets. It's Denmark and South Africa but I don't know which is the third one.

Do you think it did well in Denmark and was well liked?

Yes. It opend here last thursday. I don't think it did very well. 

I have seen close to zero promotion here. Not one tv add..

A few of my friends who are big Rocky fans had no clue that this was a sequel. 

So it looks like a low gross here

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fmpro said:

Yes. It opend here last thursday. I don't think it did very well. 

I have seen close to zero promotion here. Not one tv add..

A few of my friends who are big Rocky fans had no clue that this was a sequel. 

So it looks like a low gross here

Mmh, that's not so good. I see it's only #6 in Denmark. But perhaps WOM will help as it did in Australia?
Apropos, the third country is Oman.

Overall it seems to be the same so far in every country where the film already started: Good average and (very) good holds (Singapore e.g.) but (very) low screen numbers. They obviously had not much confidence or underestimated it. But I think with steadily rising Box Office numbers and in bigger markets the situation will improve ;). And it doesn't need monster numbers...

Edited by el sid

1 hour ago, el sid said:

Mmh, that's not so good. I see it's only #6 in Denmark. But perhaps WOM will help as it did in Australia?
Apropos, the third country is Oman.

Overall it seems to be the same so far in every country where the film already started: Good average and (very) good holds (Singapore e.g.) but (very) low screen numbers. They obviously had not much confidence or underestimated it. But I think with steadily rising Box Office numbers and in bigger markets the situation will improve ;). And it doesn't need monster numbers...

I think it could have a low drop this weekend but SW will destroy everything next week i'm affraid

Michael B. Jordan is on a great path to success. Between Fruitvale and this, he's already established himself rather quickly as Hollywood's brightest up and coming leading male under 28 (my opinion) and he's clearly identifiable. Creed hopefully does fine. Stallone was on the money as well. Overall, I'm usually a bit skeptical when I see 90+% reviews at RT, but this was well deserved. Now- on the other hand, Bridge of Spies. Not so much. 

• Like 1

Creed can do well in UK Germany France Italy and Spain major ones....Japan maybe 

rest may do good/decent business i guess 

It basically had no publicity in india .....ZEROOOOO

It released on friday Nov 27 in india...i wanted to watch it eagerly...saw the paper on friday morning...was literally shocked :wacko:

Dunno how popular Rocky Movies were in India.....but Rambo was very popular had great run in India back in 80s

Edited by John Rambo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hmm...... $12M OS.....so far. Weird......

Where's the same Sylvester Stallone audience that helped the Expendables-movies to get big OS? It seems very quiet for this one.

Even Rocky 4 made $172M OS & $300M WW.....back in 1985.

No action film, no 80s. And look how few screens it often had. And almost no advertising as some members reported.
But still with the exception of Japan (very disappointing indeed), it did so far everywhere better than Rocky Balboa.

Next weekend will be interesting. It starts in the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Italy, Brazil and many smaller markets.

Very nice first day in France for Creed. Creed was #1 yesterday in front of Carol with 97.271 admissions (!). Source:jpbox-office.com.
The prediction for the first week is 600.000 admissions or more (cine-directors.net).

I wish I could report the same for Germany but with only middle big copy numbers and not much advertising it won't be easy. Insidekino.de predicts a total of „only“ 400k admissions at the moment but say that they think it will be dumped and otherwise would have had a potential of 1M admissions. As it looks by now they could be right. There were no trailer and even no posters(!) for Creed in the big theater where I saw The Revenant. But we will see. It could be less frontloaded than Rocky Balboa and the reviews from critics in Germany are very good.

Will post the estimated admissions for Thursday in a few hours ;).

Edit:Creed had 22k admissions (numbers from 9pm). And I can only repeat what I said in the OS Germany/Austria Thread: When I read these numbers I was very disappointed but members say that this is a good opening for Creed. So let's see what is possible over the weekend and with the help of WOM and the Oscar nomination.

Edited by el sid