Italy - $2.5m

UK - $3.3m

Germany - $1.5m

And in comparison Rocky Balboa did

France - $4.8m

Italy - $3.7m

UK - $7.2m

Germany - $3.5m

wait... I'm french and i know that the numbers of tickets sold for the first week are likely to be the same than what Rocky Balboa did.

The Euro is weak... Maybe it can explain some deflated numbers but once again, wait !

WOM is really good in France. It's rated 4,5/5 on allocine (kind of IMDB) after 1000 votes.

I expect the same first week here than RB and i expect more tickets sold at the end. WOM is great !

Edited by Laurent K
  • Like 2

CREED

With a Best Supporting Actor nom under its belt for Sylvester Stallone, Creed took a $14.2M purse this weekend in 34 markets. With 1.96M admissions from 4,135 screens, the international cume now stands at $28.7M. Worldwide, it has grossed around $130M.

This weekend in France, the boxing picture led among all the holdovers and also bested the opening of local title Tout Schuss. In terms of admissions here, Warner Bros noted that the results of Creed are on par with the Clint Eastwood boxing favorite Million Dollar Baby. It also did three times as much as the opening of the Jake Gyllenhaal boxing drama Southpaw. Those are the comps. Creed tallied $3.7M over 537K admissions on 450 screens in France. The UK debuted to a big $3.3M on 333K admissions from 667 screens. Ranking No. 3 in the marketplace, its results are said to be 180% higher than Million Dollar Baby and 32% higher than Southpaw.

Looking to Italy where the Italian Stallion is beloved, it opened to strong results as well with $2.5M on 351 admissions from 332 screens, only a hair behind local comedy Quo Vado?. That ranking might actually change, it’s that close. The grosses here tripled Million Dollar Baby and ranked four times higher than that of Southpaw. In Germany, it grossed $1.5M from 326 screens to get the No. 3 spot. However, again, its grosses doubled other totals of the two comp boxing pictures.

In Brazil where it was a highly competitive holiday weekend, the Ryan Coogler film finished with $909K from 361 locales, once again running ahead of the comps of Rocky Balboa and Million Dollar Baby.

The biggest market for this picture outside the U.S. is Australia with $5.1M. It will be released in Spain and Mexico on January 29.

these Numbers are for 5 days i guess so I confirm that those Numbers are in France, in par with what RB did or a little less. But nothing to be ashamed and the WOM is great.

deadline.com/2016/01/revenant-5th-wave-hateful-8-ride-along-2-star-wars-international-box-office-weekend-results-1201684764/

Edited by Laurent K
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scabab said:

It's now at $41.9 million overseas.

Is that about $11-12 million in the past week? Doesn't seem that good really does it?

don't know how to answer

so far, it is strong in France.

It's leggy in Italia and in UK.

It's a fiasco in Germany.

Creed is hitting its stride overseas, adding $9 million from 37 markets in its latest frame outside of North America. The film kept the top spot in France with a $2.7 million haul in its second weekend ($7.2M cume). Creed's overseas total is now up to $41.9 million, the film has already hit $150 million worldwide. Spain and Mexico are scheduled to open next weekend.

Source: BoxOffice.com

Hmm Variety says it's in 38 markets.

Warner Bros.’ “Rocky” spinoff “Creed” followed in fifth with $9.5 million in 38 markets to push the international total to $42 million and the worldwide take to $150 million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/the-revenant-international-box-office-star-wars-1201687476/

Someone asked, I think it was at the German thread, about BOM details, BOM hasn't updated the last/actual weekend yet, but the last one showed only 23 tracked

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=creed.htm

Beside partly considerable changed ER rates distort the impressions anyway - I'd not try to compare it too strongly to the Rocky movies, as as a spin-off it has still to establish itself anew IMHO

made a milestone

Total Lifetime Grosses (dom = estimate)
Domestic:  $108,294,759    72.1%
Foreign:  $41,900,000    27.9%

Worldwide:  $150,194,759  
Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

For the ones on the search for details, Germany this WE

Creed finished out the top five with a $692,000 (€640,000) take in its second weekend. Ryan Coogler's Rocky reboot has earned around $2.5 million (€2.3 million) in the territory to date.  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/german-box-office-revenant-tops-858888

No idea about finals nor China release date (ask in China thread, link in my signature), not sure, he isn't the lead and a few other details that let me be wary about China

• Like 1

It opened #3 this weekend in the Netherlands (smalish in comparison EU Box Office country) (after #1 SW7 and #2 H8)

in € / Euro

3 326.575 --- 346.339 1 Creed

#5 in UK

Edited by terrestrial

In France, it is really strong. Only drops 33% this week end. Already 1 M moviegoers in 12 days.

We expect it to hit 1,5 M Moviegoers (Rocky Balboa did 1,159 M Moviegoers).

So 300 000 more admissions.

In UK, it seems it will be hard to reach the 1 M of entries.

the same with Italy.

The real big disappointment is Germany. WTF did it happen there ?

Russia was also a letdown.

all in all, i don't expect WW Numbers to cross the 180 M dollars mark if it's not released in China.

Releasing a Movie in Europa 2 months after its release in USA is stupid.

On 25.1.2016 at 8:18 PM, Laurent K said:

Releasing a Movie in Europa 2 months after its release in USA is stupid.

Germany has a local blockbuster and... simply too much / many high earning competition. I have no info about translation quality, that too can have a tremendous impact, if done very good or bad.

It is not stupid, it is standard.

Only the movies expected to be real big worldwide blockbusters (and getting a big advertising, translation fast,.... budget) get ~ synchronised release. And still there are countries even for those, where they set later release dates.

Synchronised isn't always good, btw. Not each region has at the same time public holidays, school holidays, movie going traditions, big sport/political events,.... or even the same season. And some have local movies announced that are ~ sure hits, see e.g. GotG 1 day after extreme local hit release. GotG made only $10m there beside the MCU movies usually make more: Thor 2 $20m (IMHO not ideal release date there), IM2/CA2 ~ $30m, IM3 $64m, Avengers $50m - AoU $78m.  Over the years tendency growing, still GotG plumped. Local movie was then the new all-time number 1. And now more local movies arrived, again surpassed that one. Hence the reason I say since quite some time: ppl seem to miss the raise of local movies in a lot of key markets. Ppl should prepare themselfs also to the arrival of some of those in other countries, at first within their bigger territory. Like an Asian movie nowadays has some chances in other Asian countries, a French movie in Germany.... (see Intouchables being even the number one movie in Germany of that year)....

edit to add:

Next weekend will see the release of Johnny Depp-starrer Black Mass in Japan.

Black Mass had a ~ mid September release. I remember times when Japan got a movie 2 years after the US release.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I have no info about translation quality, that too can have a tremendous impact, if done very good or bad.

As far as I can appraise it I would say the translation was ok but the english version is better, just more terse.

On 25.1.2016 at 8:18 PM, Laurent K said:

Mmh, I can only repeat what I said in the BO Germany/Austria Thread. I thought it would have a better second weekend hold, but overall it's not that surprising. My first prediction were 1M admissions but to that time I was sure that Warner Bros. will care about the film OS but that was clearly not the case.
From the beginning, it was below radar level in Germany and the poor marketing campaign didn't change that. Even our TV-cinema-magazines like „Steven liebt Kino“ reported about a lot of other films like The Big Short but not about Creed or I missed it which I doubt.
The prediction from Mark G. from insidekino.de (who had the feeling that it will be dumped) were 400k admissions and that's still his prediction for the total run. That's no disaster, it's just not what many hoped it will do. In Russia it's a disaster.
The change of the central character is probably a problem too. I must admit I had the same feeling. I really liked the film but was it a real Rocky film? I know they said it's about Creed but still, I couldn't help myself being a little bit disappointed.

By the way, it's funny that Creed at least managed it to stay in the German Top 5 with only a few dollars more that three other movies (Boxofficemojo) ;).
I also don't think Creed will be released in China. It even isn't released in Malaysia, just like Grudge Match. So a final total around 170M WW seems reasonable to me.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, el sid said:

As far as I can appraise it I would say the translation was ok but the english version is better, just more terse.

Mmh, I can only repeat what I said in the BO Germany/Austria Thread. I thought it would have a better second weekend hold, but overall it's not that surprising. My first prediction were 1M admissions but to that time I was sure that Warner Bros. will care about the film OS but that was clearly not the case.
From the beginning, it was below radar level in Germany and the poor marketing campaign didn't change that. Even our TV-cinema-magazines like „Steven liebt Kino“ reported about a lot of other films like The Big Short but not about Creed or I missed it which I doubt.
The prediction from Mark G. from insidekino.de (who had the feeling that it will be dumped) were 400k admissions and that's still his prediction for the total run.
The change of the central character is probably a problem too. I must admit I had the same feeling. I really liked the film but was it a real Rocky film? I know they said it's about Creed but still, I couldn't help myself being a little bit disappointed.

By the way, it's funny that Creed at least managed it to stay in the German Top 5 with only a few dollars more that three other movies (Boxofficemojo) ;).
I also don't think Creed will be released in China. It even isn't released in Malaysia, just like Grudge Match. So a final total around 170M WW seems reasonable to me.

I agree : 170 M WW final.

In France, it's a Hit ! Already 1,070 M admissions. The Movie has been number 1 for 2 weeks in a row.

The drop of the second week is only 33 % ! The movie is rated 4,5/5 after 3000 votes on "allociné" (french IMDB).

Spain and Mexico are the next countries to watch.

• Like 1

CREED
With a strong $7.5M in its purse this weekend, Warner Bros’ drama from Ryan Coogler now has an offshore cume of $51.7M. Spain punched up a No. 1 debut, well ahead of fellow openers and holdovers, and grossing $1.6M on 316 screens. Mexicorang up $1M from 1,018 screens, outperforming Rocky Balboa by 4% and well-positioned to take advantage of the national holiday on Monday. France’s 3rd round saw Creed surpass the lifetime of Rocky Balboa by 13%. With an additional $1.7M, the cume is $9.8M making this the top offshore market. The UK ($7.6M), Italy($5.7M), Australia ($5.1M) and Japan ($3.3M) are the rest of the Top 5.

Source: Deadline.com

• Like 2