The Panda

Is the hype for Star Wars hurting every other movie this season?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Uh, Titanic is a perfect example of a 4 quadrant movie. It made as much as it did because it appealed to all different kinds of people.

Any movie rated R automatically nullifies it from being 4 quadrant. If those count then I guess SW is a sixlet haha idk what the word would be.  

Edited by Jay Salahi

4 minutes ago, Jay Salahi said:

Any movie rated R automatically nullifies it from being 4 quadrant. If those count then I guess SW is a sixlet haha idk what the word would be.  

Titanic is PG-13. So is Meet the Parents, for that matter.

Edited by filmlover

16 minutes ago, Jay Salahi said:

Fuck, I always just remember seeing Boobs as a kid and assumed it R hahaha Well 4/5 year old me saw Boobs thanks to titanic. Probably my first memory of them.

For all of those people who said the only reason the movie made so much money because teen girls were in love with Leo (which is my favorite excuse for the movie's astronomical performance; if the movie made so much because of him alone, then where was the Backstreet Boys movie? That would've made $300M easily using that logic), a number of friends of mine in high school at the time were really entranced by the movie all because of Kate Winslet's boobs.

• Like 1

The fact that I saw Titanic at such a young age and continued to return to it obsessively every three or four years is a huge part of why Leo and Kate are handily among my favorite actors of their generation.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand. Is Star Wars handily generating more hype than anything else in the marketplace? Yes. Would I attribute under-performances from other films to that hype? No. With the exception of The Peanuts Movie (whose relative lack of staying power in the past two weekends was truly baffling given historical precedent), there's a separate and equally valid explanation behind each major film's failure to put up jaw-dropping numbers. Spectre had significantly less hype than Skyfall, and its advertising felt strangely quiet for such a huge sequel. Ditto for The Hunger Games, whose marketing made it feel like an afterthought for all but the biggest devotees of the franchise (who, as it turns out, were still enough to propel the film over $100 million in its first weekend).

14 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

And what makes it worse is if all this hype ends up not living up to the movie..

At this point I think it is bound to happen for some people. The hype is just too high. I love JJ's Star Trek. If SW is able to come anywhere close to that I'll be thrilled. But some folks want way more than that.

I am glad the MPAA is protecting american children from the unhealthy sight of bewbs.

Titanic was an evil film that aroused innocent souls, despicable really.

Is the Pixar underperforming, kinda ?

I do see a pattern emerging.

50 minutes ago, Elessar said:

If you expect a life altering event you will probably wind up disappointed. I think it's kinda unfair towards the movie, though.

Oh, it's far too late for that. Which is a shame, because after the prequels simply getting a technically well-made movie that happens to feature SW characters should still count as a win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That was the 80's man, totally different time. I will remain convinced JC used his JC powers on the MPAA to score that Titanic rating in the late 90's. 

It was apparently a question of context in the end. The nudity is "non sexual" in nature. He ensured that the actors never even touch each other when Winslet is nude in that scene. He basically got the PG-13 by arguing a technicality, and won because he is James Cameron.

James+cameron+james+cameron_7547a2_41525

• Like 5