kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers | 10.4 M THG: MOCKINGJAY II | 6.56 M THE GOOD DINOSAUR | 6.46 M CREED

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It could end up being the biggest boxing movie of all time, unadjusted of course.

It needs 128 m DOM.

Legs could help it, and it might play like The Blind Side. But Creed will be the redeemer for Stallone, Michael B. Jordan after big flops, and for WB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Interesting weekend for sure. Good Dino will pass 200M no question. Well, I guess that's what we should be saying any other year. Star Wars is a huge wildcard. Maybe it will dominate, but have no effect on other releases. If it weren't for TFA, I'd say TGD is passing 200M for sure.

TGD's drop from non-preview Thursday (8.4m) is very good -22%.

I think it has a small shot at 200m and is not a lock.

Tangled got a big push from Disney towards the end. It was at 193m in weekend #12 when it went below 1m for the first time, and then it reached 200m in weekend #26 when it got added to 182 theaters more (long after the dollar theater bump) and made nearly 1 million that weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=rapunzel.htm

After 2 days TGD is 17.9% below Tangled. If it is behind by the same amount over the weekend it will get ~40m (as opposed to Tangled's 48.7m) and a 5-day haul of 56.4m, 12.3m behind Tangled. Considering strong legs that Tangled had and the push it got, I don't think TGD can make up for that lag. But if it gets 43m or more there's a shot.

Edited by a2knet

5 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Maybe it's me, but that seems like a terrible number.

Creed's made more in its first two (non-weekend) days than Rocky Balboa did in the first 2 days of its pre-Christmas 5-day. And its actual 3-day looks to double Rocky Balboa's 3-day.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Creed's made more in its first two (non-weekend) days than Rocky Balboa did in the first 2 days of its pre-Christmas 5-day. And its actual 3-day looks to double Rocky Balboa's 3-day.

Its doubling Horrible Bosses 2, and that movie finished with 54M domestic thanks to holiday legs. Creed should do 130M+ if it continues on that trajectory.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Good for Creed, ouch for TGD.

Creed cost around 40 Milllion to make; TGD at least 200 Million,probably more (Pixar has a habit of lowballing it's budget estimates).

Creed is going to more profitable (in terms of real  profit)of the two,that is certain.

1 hour ago, Maxmoser3 said:

People are saying Good Dinosaur is flopping. No it's not it will have a good weekend, and play well for a little while before Star Wars and play ok overseas.

Good Dinosaur has a 400 Million dollar break even point. IMHO it will make only a minor profit.

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I just find it ridiculous when people compare TGD to FROZEN. lol

I think both films had lackluster trailers, but FROZEN got great reviews and Great WOM that overcame the mediocre trailers to make it the huge blockbuster it was.but TGD is getting neither reviews or WOM.

That's pretty great for MJ2. Only half a mil behind MJ1 on Thanksgiving, which did $57m for the weekend. If MJ2 does that it's looking at a fantastic 45% second weekend drop. Getting nervous for TGD now. It is going to really need a massive Friday bump to pull off a decent opening now. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Helped contribute to the Spectre increase last night. Having a new born (and now 2 kids) really crimps getting out to the movies so we haven't seen anything since Antman.... was nice 

Amazingly you haven't missed a whole lot since Ant Man came out. Though MI5 should definitely be on your watch list if you like espionage, if you haven't already seen it at home. 

• Like 1

There's this huge beach fire going on in town tonight and nearly everyone in my grade is invited (except me cause my ex's best friend is hosting it and after 8 months they are still sooooo childish) so that's why I was going to a movie by myself with my dad.

The fact that a few of my friends told this girl off and are coming to a movie with me instead just kinda makes me really happy.

• Like 1