The Panda

WWW: The Good Dinosaur

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

When the $200m+ live action films like John Carter and The Lone Ranger bombed, Disney did act accordingly. It's true that the hits from Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm do cover the losses but $200m is still a lot for an animated film which is why I think future non sequels won't get budgets like that

They acted accordingly how? When Tron barely broke even they acted by giving JC the same huge budget. When JC was a big flop they acted by giving TLR the same huge budget. When TLR was a big flop they acted by giving Tomorrowland the same huge budget. When Tomorrowland was a big flop they acted by giving The Jungle Book the same huge budget. The only thing they ever do when their new tentpoles flop is not make a sequel. They still don't do anything about their huge budgets though for the films they are making. Pixar has two full decades of nothing but successes for them. I highly doubt anything more than Sohn maybe not directing for quite awhile happens because of TGD. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They acted accordingly how? When Tron barely broke even they acted by giving JC the same huge budget. When JC was a big flop they acted by giving TLR the same huge budget. When TLR was a big flop they acted by giving Tomorrowland the same huge budget. When Tomorrowland was a big flop they acted by giving The Jungle Book the same huge budget. The only thing they ever do when their new tentpoles flop is not make a sequel. They still don't do anything about their huge budgets though for the films they are making. Pixar has two full decades of nothing but successes for them. I highly doubt anything more than Sohn maybe not directing for quite awhile happens because of TGD. 

For John Carter, they fired Rich Ross who was head at the time and for The Lone Ranger, they ended their output deal with Jerry Bruckheimer. The Lone Ranger there was concerns over the budget but the costs ballooned during production. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

For John Carter, they fired Rich Ross who was head at the time and for The Lone Ranger, they ended their output deal with Jerry Bruckheimer. The Lone Ranger there was concerns over the budget but the costs ballooned during production. 

So again, Sohn will probably get slapped on the wrist and not be allowed in the director seat at Pixar for awhile. I seriously doubt it affects the studio on the whole much and their budgets. Especially for all the sequels they're currently making. TGD is just gonna make them more in favor of those if anything. 

I don't think Disney is too worried about Pixar. I don't know if you heard but their next movie is Finding Nemo 2. It's followed by Cars 3. In all seriousness, I was giving this movie shit thinking it was generic but I saw it today and I was really wrong about it. I still can't decide if I like Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur more.

Sohn doesn't deserve to be punished. Sure, he didn't do an amazing job, but it's someone else's idea. and you have all kinds of people on your back.

Partly Cloudy was great. 

Anyway, I find it hard to believe Pixar didn't put up a fight seeing the absolutely non-advertising that was going on for TGD. It seems very much pre-approved as a write-off by Lasseter and co. too.

Furthermore, that post earlier in this thread with the character posters looks hideous. 

People are right. The designs are amateurish and given a marketplace full of Ice Age and other related material, they needed to stand out and they failed miserably. The designs in the Croods stand out more than TGD. It's a massive failure for Pixar. That said, have Pixar really been any good at character design?

I wouldn't say Inside Out's strengths were in its designs for the emotions or that pink elephant thing. 

I know the designs weren't completely Sohn's idea. They were modified off Peterson's which also had a dominant green color scheme.

Maybe people really didn't like them, I don't know. Personally I grew attached to Arlo after the Crystals trailer so I just cannot be objective on this. And for my money Sohn's Spot is a LOT more appealing than Peterson's looked.

Though I think Pixar has had some indisputably excellent character designs. Both Stanton movies and the Toy Stories stand out in particular

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, Coco will definitely have its work cut out for it, especially since there'll be added pressure to be the "good" Pixar movie of the year when Cars 3 inevitably gets drubbed

I don't have much hope for Cars 3, it wouldn't surprise me if it made less than Cars 2. 

I think Cars 3 is an epic box office failure waiting to happen for them. Marketing is going to have to be amazing for that one, or I can't see why all of Cars 2 audience returns. Not to mention the original batch of toddlers who may have loved the first will be teens, and I doubt Cars is like Toy Story in its ability to appeal to those kids that grew up on it when they're older. 

This could be good news for Coco though, since if Pixar can only pull off one hit the years  they have two I'd think Coco has the better shot at being the hit. 

Edited by MovieMan89

It did just occur to me that dinosaur movies aimed at kids have never really been big at the box office. The Land Before Time was very profitable in its day, but still had a very modest 100m adjusted run. Dinosaur and We're Back were big under-performers at the time (though Dinosaur will end up being more profitable than TGD). Then there was Walking With Dinosaurs a couple years ago. Basically the only "big" kid movie involving dinos is Ice Age 3, and I'm sure that was because it was part of the Ice Age franchise not because they added dinos. 

• Like 4