#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

17 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

I have heard a lot of great things as well. Searched a bit about it and saw a trailer and it indeed looks really good. It was also recently renewed for a season 2.

Nice, I need to get on it.  My brother keeps bugging me to watch it lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Not sure if serious

It needs a 3.46x to just pass Avatar. That's on the low end of December openers, lol. This will have a 3.5, minimum.

I still think that Avatar numbers are in play unless we see differently in the coming week.

However, no other December release did anywhere near a quarter of its opening weekend in previews. Half of the big guns weren't even Friday releases. I'm not really sure we can just look at $50-85M December openers and project forward for a $220-230M opener that made $57M on Thursday. I would not be all that surprised if TFA does miss that 3.5x multiplier. 

• Like 2

Peg that to softer Saturday matinees, however, evening shows could swing these figures higher.

Interesting.  That's inconsistent with Rth and Gitesh's reports.  Holiday period would explain it though.

Per Disney, Saturday’s daytime grosses vs. Friday’s daytime ticket receipts are trailing by 5% ,currently at $47M, for a projected $60M today 

Huh?  47M daytime gross is huge.  They're expecting only 13M from evenings?  That seems very low, that's the plurality of the business is done.  Unless I'm not reading this right.

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

Interesting.  That's inconsistent with Rth and Gitesh's reports.  Holiday period would explain it though.

Huh?  47M daytime gross is huge.  They're expecting only 13M from evenings?  That seems very low, that's the plurality of the business is done.  Unless I'm not reading this right.

The $47M includes presales for the evening shows. 

• Like 2

Just now, IMojammer said:

The 47m could include all presales for later in the evening like Rth said about the Friday matinees of 43m that THR quoted.  Not sure though.

1 minute ago, kswiston said:

The $47M includes presales for the evening shows. 

Yeah, that may be, but this time they've gone conservative instead of extrapolating high like last night.  

Still doesn't explain the inconsistent matinee reports though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

The 47m could include all presales for later in the evening like Rth said about the Friday matinees of 43m that THR quoted.  Not sure though.

Something seems off. If presales were highest for Friday, and the matinees + presales are higher on Saturday, it would stand to reason that matinees are stronger on Saturday. Obviously Disney is saying that isn't the case, but I don't know. Maybe the 43 m yesterday was for a different timeframe than the 47 million today. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We re in uncharted territory about everything here, a huge anticipated franchise film released in December.

The early signs of SW being frontloaded are here.

I know which season we re in, different than summer but it won't play like the average December release, it started way too high to do that.

Jurassic World was backloaded.

I understand that but a 3.5x isn't a crazy multi for this time of year; so I'm gonna stick with that until proven otherwise.