#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

I'm continually refreshing the page, hoping RTH will come in and say 100m Sat and save the day.

For once I'd like to see the late updates be higher... seems it's always down down down this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

I'm continually refreshing the page, hoping RTH will come in and say 100m Sat and save the day.

Even if he said 70 m it would mean TFA got the Saturday record, 240 m OW and a chance at beating Avatar again.

10 m makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Isn't the RT rating a better indicator of good or bad legs?

I was just looking for something to blame that disastrous Sat number on.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Even if he said 70 m it would mean TFA got the Saturday record, 240 m OW and a chance at beating Avatar again.

10 m makes a huge difference.

I think as long as the Ow is over 200m, Avatar is in play depending on how SW holds.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it seems we may have underestimated the impact of these marathon/previews. But also we need to consider the need of a lot of fans to be able to say they saw it opening DAY(which obviously includes Friday proper). Add to that Super Saturday shoppers plus inhospitably cold weather in parts of the country and 60m is more impressive to me than 69m in the Summer movie season. 

This will easily break the second weekend record next week. Easily. 

Keep Calm and Let the Force be with You. :father:

• Like 12

Just now, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it seems we may have underestimated the impact of these marathon/previews. But also we need to consider the need of a lot of fans to be able to say they saw it opening DAY(which obviously includes Friday proper). Add to that Super Saturday shoppers plus inhospitably cold weather in parts of the country and 60m is more impressive to me than 69m in the Summer movie season. 

This will easily break the second weekend record next week. Easily. 

Keep Calm and Let the Force be with You. :father:

Sooooooooooo

I kind of dig the purple color WAY better than the blue...... :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

For once I'd like to see the late updates be higher... seems it's always down down down this year.

I think presales are wrecking havoc with it. Only tentpoles I remember increases with updates were TA1 and JW, rest have just gone down. 

49 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

Something seems off. If presales were highest for Friday, and the matinees + presales are higher on Saturday, it would stand to reason that matinees are stronger on Saturday. Obviously Disney is saying that isn't the case, but I don't know. Maybe the 43 m yesterday was for a different timeframe than the 47 million today. 

-Yes different time period by several hrs

-both figures include presales, and those figures are highest of any film ever in history by very long margin. 

-not total for all theatres, a sample, and that samples for TFA ratio to final number is also highest of any film ever

-time period is same both coasts, so a 1pm is 1pm WC & EC(not 4pm, seperate figure) 

Sat is prob more 63-65,at this point see how end of night looks 

• Like 28

I see the BO estimate for SW7 this weekend has dropped by around $30 mil, that is quite a drop, but film should still beat JW's opening record.

There is no doubt that SW7 will gross big sums of money daily through the Xmas hols, but when it comes to early January, will the film still have legs?

Is SW7 just like most modern day blockbusters, massively front loaded at the BO, or will it sustain huge BO for several weeks in a row?

Film has good chance of beating Avatar in the North American market, but Worldwide that is gonna be seriously tough, as the exchange rates are gonna hurt the film badly, as they did to MJ2 and Spectre.

Edited by mepal1

Just now, Rth said:

-both figures include presales, and those figures are highest of any film ever in history by very long margin. 

-not total for all theatres, a sample, and that samples for TFA ratio to final number is also highest of any film ever

-time period is same both coasts, so a 1pm is 1pm WC & EC(not 4pm, seperate figure) 

YES!!! 60+!!!! The God has spoken!!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rth said:

With those numbers, attendance record is going to be close.  Once again.

Edited by spizzer

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

A something, oh WHO CARES!! 

That explains it.

Won't be surprised if it falls even lower then.

Edit: and then rth posted. Oops!

But yay!

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1