#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

30 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

So 100mil weekdays and a 150mil Christmas weekend and we are looking at 480-500mil by the end of Christmas weekend. Crazy.

70mil Christmas week days and a 70mil New Years weekend and we are looking at 620-640mil total by the start of Jan lol.

A 800mil total is definately in reach.

Not only is it in reach, but in fact it would be shocking if it wasn't surpassed.  Let's assume $230M this weekend -- does anybody out there really believe that we won't see at least a 3.5 multiple on OW for the run of this movie?  All of the Star Wars movies had at least 3.5 OW multiples, and often more.  Even the craptastic Attack of the Clones had a 3.5 multiple, in the midst of the summer.   Given the following:

1. incredible hype;
  2. the very strong critical reviews;
  3. very strong positive word of mouth from the vast majority of the audience;
  4. IMAX and big screens are locked in for at least until the middle of January ;
  5. Disney committments to continued marketing; and
  6.   No serious competition for this movie for the next couple of months and Xmas hits having leggy runs

it's just almost unimaginable that this movie doesn't do 3.5 and get to $800M DOM, at a minimum. 

(Yeah, yeah, I know a $230M could indicate that it is heavily front-loaded and will have big drop-offs down the road, maybe especially in January.  But the data doesn't suggest that this OW was the rapid influx of core group of an ultimately smaller audience (compared to other blockbusters) blasting in to see the movie early, like what we saw with Harry Potter Deathly Hollows Part 2.  To the contrary, the advanced sales for next week and even next weekend suggest that $230M-ish reflects a huge expansion of the audience for this movie -- it's four-quadrant appeal and that points to long, long legs ahead because a good chunk of the would-be audience has yet to even see it.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

It won't. There're some territories that SW franchise couldn't break into. Avatar was huge everywhere.

Yeah, beating Titanic WW (almost 2.2 billion) would be hard enough.

An extra 600 m? That would require alot more help from Asia and 1 billion DOM. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

THE BIG SHORT fell off -50% in its 2nd sale w/ $350k, $43,750 per. Paramount's film goes wide in 2,200+ venues Xmas Day.

I thought it was going wide on Wednesday?

10 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

The same happens in Europe as well. People are going nuts with Christmas shopping. 

Here in Germany we have limits during weekdays when the stores have to be closed (not counting for transit ways, like train stations, airports and highway rest places, and gas stations that want to stay open, hospitals, restaurants and so on...)

= 20:00 o'clock during weekdays and Saturday (many specialized stores close at Saturday between 12:00 / high noon and 16:00 o'clock) and all Sunday is closed too (right of workers to see their families, go to church, get a rest and such). Exception a few times a year a city can allo to open for a few hours - I think at max. 4 times per year.

Not the same rules apply in the US, other end hours during weekdays in the (hot) southern countries of Europe (but those often have 4 hours breaks middays) and so on.

We also have other max. work hours per week (the people I know work ususally 35 to ~ 40 hours per week), a lot more paid vacation days = in average 29,1 days per year (= 5 days week), plus more PAID public holidays, each of those if dalling on Mo-Fr), a fast majority of workers work Monday to Friday only (beside emergency services and retail workers...) and overtime at building/street construction sites...

A lot more time possibilities to buy things in between

... yes, here it is nuts too, but as far as I know not really compareable to the US.

6 minutes ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

Not only is it in reach, but in fact it would be shocking if it wasn't surpassed.  Let's assume $230M this weekend -- does anybody out there really believe that we won't see at least a 3.5 multiple on OW for the run of this movie?  All of the Star Wars movies had at least 3.5 OW multiples, and often more.  Even the craptastic Attack of the Clones had a 3.5 multiple, in the midst of the summer.   Given the following:

1. incredible hype;
  2. the very strong critical reviews;
  3. very strong positive word of mouth from the vast majority of the audience;
  4. IMAX and big screens are locked in for at least until the middle of January ;
  5. Disney committments to continued marketing; and
  6.   No serious competition for this movie for the next couple of months and Xmas hits having leggy runs

it's just almost unimaginable that this movie doesn't do 3.5 and get to $800M DOM, at a minimum. 

(Yeah, yeah, I know a $230M could indicate that it is heavily front-loaded and will have big drop-offs down the road, maybe especially in January.  But the data doesn't suggest that this OW was the rapid influx of core group of an ultimately smaller audience (compared to other blockbusters) blasting in to see the movie early, like what we saw with Harry Potter Deathly Hollows Part 2.  To the contrary, the advanced sales for next week and even next weekend suggest that $230M-ish reflects a huge expansion of the audience for this movie -- it's four-quadrant appeal and that points to long, long legs ahead because a good chunk of the would-be audience has yet to even see it.)

I agree with most of what you said but 235 m OW is the floor.

It's just a nitpick but still. :P

Edited by grey ghost

40 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

When Saturday was at 60 m there was little chance at beating Avatar. 

That's where I'd have to disagree. If it came in at 60, we would be looking at 225-230 ow. Let's say 225. Most openers on this week get at least a 4 x multiplier- some much higher. That puts it at 900.

Going lower, I don't think any openings missed a 3.5 (might be mistaken) as 2 of the hobbits were at 3.5 on the dot. If TFA had a 3.5 off a 225 ow, it would be around 790.

3.5 is the low end and that still gives some wiggle room to beat avatar.

My point is, whether the Saturday number was 60 or 69, it still has a great shot at the throne, and with the number at 68-69, it's looking very pretty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

That's where I'd have to disagree. If it came in at 60, we would be looking at 225-230 ow. Let's say 225. Most openers on this week get at least a 4 x multiplier- some much higher. That puts it at 900.

Going lower, I don't think any openings missed a 3.5 (might be mistaken) as 2 of the hobbits were at 3.5 on the dot. If TFA had a 3.5 off a 225 ow, it would be around 790.

3.5 is the low end and that still gives some wiggle room to beat avatar.

My point is, whether the Saturday number was 60 or 69, it still has a great shot at the throne, and with the number at 68-69, it's looking very pretty.

Saturday is going to be $70+ million and the numbers for males and females are evening out.  This thing has legs.  

Whatta weekend. Always dig folks overreacting to every little number. It's what makes this place so damn special. Anyway, these figures are truly incredible for the weekend before Christmas when millions are out spending last-minute dollars on gifts. Personally, I'm seeing it a second time either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Listening to "Finale" from the soundtrack. Shit's hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7