#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

4 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Massive pity. Think its a decent film. Looks set to lose 100M for Disney. Another flop after Tomorrowland. Thank god they have Inside Out, Avengers, Ant-Man and TFA.

But they could have done it, I don't know why they didn't.

When AoU was released, Cinderella dropped 0.7%

When IM3 was released, OZ increased 16.7%

Dead Men's Chest, Cars dropped 26%

TS3, Prince of Persia dropper 14.2%

i was sure that it would happen again

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Mendelson said 12% IMAX, 7% PLF

Wow could be over 30M IMAX.  

12 IMAX

7 PLF

28 3D

Dont have my spreadsheets (I'm in Manhattan right now) but that should be around 23.7M tickets.  Now we wait for actuals and % adjustments tomorrow for the most accurate estimate.

• Like 2

Truly astonishing opening for Star Wars. To see it beat the previous weekend record by $30 million while opening in a month that is traditionally more about longevity than huge starts is incredible. We'll see where the upcoming holidays take it with regards to Avatar's domestic record, but it's abundantly clear that we're dealing with something that has no useful precedent to use for comparison. No matter how it shakes out, though, the film is a monster.

Really, there were many factors that contributed to the mammoth opening: the ad campaign from Disney, which was perfect at every single stage; the clear appeal to nostalgia, specifically for the beloved original trilogy; overwhelmingly positive reviews; and hype so huge that its ripples have been felt in great force ever since tickets went on sale two months ago. While it perhaps didn't hit the ceiling of what a film is capable of doing in a single weekend (plus five hours of Thursday), it came pretty damn close.

It's no small achievement that it has taken Jurassic World's $208.8 million opening from June - which seemed almost unfathomably huge at the time - and made it look small by comparison.

• Like 1

I got average of 80.0% in my first derby. It will be less because no way SW7 ends with $238.0 million

I don't know if you are allowed to post results. But that's what I calculated.

Edited by VGPOP

10 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Are you sure? 200 production + 150 marketing, let alone how long that movie stayed in the gutter... so many problems behind the scene. It's at ~190 and only has Japan, Korea and China left.

They'll sell 10m dvds to all the young parents like everything else. 

And merchandise 

Edited by No Prisoners

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Truly astonishing opening for Star Wars. To see it beat the previous weekend record by $30 million while opening in a month that is traditionally more about longevity than huge starts is incredible. We'll see where the upcoming holidays take it with regards to Avatar's domestic record, but it's abundantly clear that we're dealing with something that has no useful precedent to use for comparison. No matter how it shakes out, though, the film is a monster.

Really, there were many factors that contributed to the mammoth opening: the ad campaign from Disney, which was perfect at every single stage; the clear appeal to nostalgia, specifically for the beloved original trilogy; overwhelmingly positive reviews; and hype so huge that its ripples have been felt in great force ever since tickets went on sale two months ago. While it perhaps didn't hit the ceiling of what a film is capable of doing in a single weekend (plus five hours of Thursday), it came pretty damn close.

It's no small achievement that it has taken Jurassic World's $208.8 million opening from June - which seemed almost unfathomably huge at the time - and made it look small by comparison.

But Excel said that Jurassic Park is the bigger franchise and that nobody cares about Star Wars except old nerds and that after the prequels there's no way this could beat the opening weekend record especially since it's in December! No way!

• Like 6