#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, K1Rey said:

Now tell me, Harry was just midnight showings right? Whereas SW had 7pm and so on showings, which don't get me wrong this is fucking HUGE, but just putting it in perspective.

Total showtimes were probably similar, HP just stacked them all starting at midnight and SW paced them out through the evening. 

• Like 8

I'm going to wait for the saturday number. That's really where it counts and where we'll see if this is really all frontloaded or not. Don't forget either way the legs on this will be insane as most are usually busy with christmas shopping/traveling. Can you imagine the holds we'er going to see when christmas is done?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K1Rey said:

Now tell me, Harry was just midnight showings right? Whereas SW had 7pm and so on showings, which don't get me wrong this is fucking HUGE, but just putting it in perspective.

Theaters can't put Star Wars on every screen at 7 like they can at midnight.

Biggest single day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Norway and Sweden

Biggest opening day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands,

Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking), Austria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Chile, Peru

Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Denmark, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkey

Biggest December opening day in France, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore

IMAX records set in UK/Ireland, Australia, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Portugal, Qatar, UAE, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Chile, Costa Rica, Trinidad

Edited by Ash Skywalker
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

Correct, it is a huge difference honestly that isn't being brought up enough. Many theaters used the same screen twice (or more) last night which Potter wasn't able to do.

• Like 1

Disney cites these market highlights:

Biggest single day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Norway and Sweden

Biggest opening day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking), Austria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Chile, Peru

Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Denmark, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkey

Biggest December opening day in France, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore

IMAX records set in UK/Ireland, Australia, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Portugal, Qatar, UAE, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Chile, Costa Rica, Trinidad

The Force Awakens adds Japan and Spain on Friday. Remaining territories to release are Greece & India (December 24) and China (January 9).

Here are Rentrack's numbers

Rentrak’s PostTrak unveiled last night the following audience breakdown (which they monitor throughout the weekend): Force Awakens is largely drawing older males at 71% guys, 53% over 25. A majority of the audience at 94% are grading the J.J. Abrams film either excellent or very good, which is a remarkable score rarely seen on PostTrak. Close to half of the audience say they attended Force Awakens because it’s part of a franchise they love. More than half the audience polled say that Force Awakens exceeded their expectations. 72% said they decided more than a week ago that they were going to Force Awakens, while 24% said they decided tonight to buy a ticket to the film.

Currently a majority of the audience per PostTrak are watching it in RealD 3D at 44%, followed by 2D at 32% and Imax 3D at 16%.

Keep in mind from a social science influencer standpoint what the fanboys think is largely irrelevant. in the influencer model, innovators (fanboys/girls at movies) are largely irrelevant to influencing people. They are seen as biased whether positive or negative so there opinions are largely discarded on a larger level. What is important are the early adopters (in movie terms the GA's who go to see the movie early on, not the fanboys). There opinion of the movie is what ultimately drives how positive or negative it will be seen.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Correct, it is a huge difference honestly that isn't being brought up enough. Many theaters used the same screen twice (or more) last night which Potter wasn't able to do.

Potter ran to 6 AM so a lot of theaters for that one used the same screen multiple times. Also Potter had all screens available at midnight. I remember people like Keyser tracking the sellouts for it and there were some theaters where it had 20 screens playing it at the same time and all sold out. The same is not true at 7 PM due to the fact you have other movies contractually guaranteed to receive showtimes from 7 PM to 10 PM. The showtimes are more staggered throughout the night for 7 PM starter.

• Like 5