#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

That's amazing... Lol

We're not at full capacity yet. 

Who are we kidding? This movie will break $60 million night shows for a $103 million business day and $160 million full opening day. 

1 minute ago, CJ Ren said:

I am gonna go with Tele here and assume everything before 7 PM are matinees. THAT IS FUCKING INSANE. Is DHD trolling everyone right now? Is this gonna make 90M today without previews? That is impossible. I am gonna set up my expectations for a good 120M OD. 

I've never seen a theater do matinees until 7, 6 is typically the latest and even then that's on the late side.

• Like 2

$300m OW is happening. It's going to do in 3 days what HBP and DH1 did in their entire runs.

I mean...it's beyond insane.

That is stunning and make no mistake that this record will stand for YEARS. Not even the sequels will do as much.

• Like 8

Just now, darthdevidem01 said:

Aint Avatar 2 booked for December 2017? How would Ep VIII shift to that spot? Because even if domestically it'll trump avatar! Overseas it may get demolished in many markets (though not all)

Star Wars 8, May 2017

Fastest to 100 :1d

Fastest to 150:1D

Fastest to 200 2D

Fasted to 250 3 D

Fastest to 300 4 D

Jurassic who? ah this little film in june pffff forget it THIS is a box office.

I think with TFA we have entered in the GIGA bockbuster era now....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Aint Avatar 2 booked for December 2017? How would Ep VIII shift to that spot? Because even if domestically it'll trump avatar! Overseas it may get demolished in many markets (though not all)

:apocalypse:

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

I am gonna go with Tele here and assume everything before 7 PM are matinees. THAT IS FUCKING INSANE. Is DHD trolling everyone right now? Is this gonna make 90M today without previews? That is impossible. I am gonna set up my expectations for a good 120M OD. 

It's crazy honestly when you put it like that. I think we're all being catfished. WHAAAAAAAAAAA?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've never seen a theater do matinees until 7, 6 is typically the latest and even then that's on the late side.

Shut up. That is unbelievable. I will believe it when I see it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

$300m OW is happening. It's going to do in 3 days what HBP and DH1 did in their entire runs.

That is stunning and make no mistake that this record will stand for YEARS. Not even the sequels will do as much.

Debatable. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

It is finished then... One more star wars will ruuuuule the domestic galaxy!

I simply can't believe this number! I am so happy if it is true!

I did say earlier in the thread everyone is

lowballing friday and that we'd surely see a $120-130 mill OD as reports if friday business sounded strong' but 135-145! Seriously WTF!

surely this is gonna be somewhere around 28-30 million for OW attendance and thus obliterating SM3, TA and TDK's ow attendance record?

Yeah attendance record is gonna get shredded looks like.  Finally

• Like 6

Just incredible.  And deserved, really.  

I think most of us thought this was possible but aired on the side of skepticism to avoid disappoint.  Glad to see the hype truly being real.

Also, think it's nuts people are kind of shitting on a few posters bringing up there being a discrepancy between this and Potter's midnight.  This won flat out, and no one is contesting that.  But to try to argue that that there isn't a difference in going between 7pm and midnight during a work week is insane.  There's NO CHANCE I would have went last night if it hadn't been for those 7pm showings.  I'm not a die hard fan of the series but I love it enough but still, I would have waited.  And the group of 7 that went with me would have most likely all done the same.  

It in no way takes away from that MASSIVE number but I think you have to give Potter the respect it deserves for filling that many seats at midnight.  Plain and simple.  I know that's not the story this weekend, but it's not something to say isn't a reality either.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

It's ROTJ Part 2, just in the modern era where it's not bloody likely that there will be enough of a theater expansion for the record to get beat as easily as that one did.

• Like 2