#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

10 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm not liking for $300m because I don't think that's possible. I'm liking for how good a sport you've been. It's orgasmic for all of us BO fans when any history happens let alone this magnitude. Deserves respect.

Thanks man. Look, Potter's midnight and opening day was a very special moment to millions of people around the world who grew up with the series. I fell in love with Potter when I was 8 and said goodbye to it at 18, a month after graduating high school. So when a series like The Avengers breaks records, I just don't like it because it needed multiple films and overstuffed characters to break records.

A single, linear story beating Potter is a lot more impressive to me. So I'm not upset at all that DH2's record is broken. It's held onto the record for four and a half years which is the longest of any film to hold. Records are meant to be broken, and I'm so glad that it's Star Wars and not anything else that beat Potter's record. 

They are the two biggest franchises in the world with the most loyal fanbases, so it's oddly fitting that Potter's record is beaten by Star Wars. I wanted DH2's record to not be beaten by a mere few millions, but by a lot. And Star Wars is decimating it.

Besides...Potter holding onto the midnight and opening day records over four years is a feat in itself. 

There is no reason for me to be upset at all. I'm happy for TFA.

• Like 14

Just now, The Futurist said:

Bob Iger buys Hasbro on Monday morning.

Circle of Life.

Stock was down huge today, not so fast :). I'm expecting a bounce back  Monday though after all the crazy numbers are official. It's not just the movie too, it's all the related holiday merchandising & what it does for their theme park attendance ESP with Star Wars land looming.

1 hour ago, ecstasy said:

"Those with access to grosses say Force Awakens has already grossed north of $43 million in matinee earnings; they believe the movie will take in north of $130 million for the day.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-849854

Landed.  Got my luggage and then saw this.   

fall1.gif

I need to be carried to hotel.

• Like 11