#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This definitely doesn't seem like the kind of weekend where anything is going to be beaten by small measures in a Jurassic World kinda way anymore...

Yes I love that JW barely beat TA's OW record(which it held for 3 years) and SW is going to OBLITERATE JW's record(which it held for 6 months).

:ph34r:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan9 said:

$130m would do me fine, let alone anything near $145m! Considering yesterday people were talking about $55-60m, a $73m true Friday is insane! 

(Naturally I'm just hoping it ends up even higher so we get the chance to explode again.)

73m Friday still makes OW record in 2 days possible.

• Like 1

Just now, Master Scottb said:

One thing is for certain. TFA proves that December releases can have monster openings. No more do we have to look at Avatar, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I am Legend and think that $70m-$80m OWs are the ceiling. 

TFA probably beat Hobbit's record after a few hours. :lol:

I bet if they put this movie in late September it would still do 200m OW easily. 

1 minute ago, Master Scottb said:

One thing is for certain. TFA proves that December releases can have monster openings. No more do we have to look at Avatar, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I am Legend and think that $70m-$80m OWs are the ceiling. 

But you can't really compare anything to Star Wars 7.  It's definitely the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Master Scottb said:

Anyone looking at ROTK and thinking $80m is ceiling in 2015 was, well, wrong.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Don't be a coward now CJohn. Not in your moment of glory.

Nope. 120M is great :) I don't wanna wake up tomorrow and see a 20-30M number lower than the one I saw before going to bed. 120M OD is phenomenal :) 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

But you can't really compare anything to Star Wars 7.  It's definitely the exception, not the rule.

True. But I think these results will embolden studios to not shy away from opening big franchise/tentpole movies in December.