#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

I wonder will a non-SW movie break this OW record in the forseeable future.  SW is like the king of franchises and I wonder what it takes for a non-SW to have a slight chance to beat this record set by a long-waited and extremely-well marketed SW movie.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan9 said:

So apparently in the UK, The Force Awakens is on course to smash the previous single day record... the one it set yesterday. :lol: 

Thank you to RTH the god. 

That bodes very well for Saturday here in North America. Maybe a very good increase from the non-preview Friday number.

Just now, vc2002 said:

I wonder will a non-SW movie break this OW record in the forseeable future.  SW is like the king of franchises and I wonder what it takes for a non-SW to have a slight chance to beat this record set by a long-waited and extremely-well marketed SW movie.

In 25 years Jurassic Reboot will beat it only to be destroyed by Star Wars returning with the old cast (Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega) 6 months later :ph34r:

• Like 9

SW7 shattered previews record by 30%. Similar performance for friday would take its OD to 145m. But 130m is more likely. It would be crazy to see single day increasing that much. That has increased quite gradually in the past(SM3 did 50m back in 2007).

But Avatar domestic is happening for sure !!!!

Just now, CJ Ren said:

In 25 years Jurassic Reboot will beat it only to be destroyed by Star Wars returning with the old cast (Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega) 6 months later :ph34r:

Jurassic OW we meet again. The circle is now complete.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

A long awaited and extremely well marketed something else?

• Like 1

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

I predict the West Coast will pull through again and collectively blow our minds.

I think so too. Based on what Tele, the Seattle guys, Ectsasy and others have posted here...the West Coast is going to kick some serious ass tonight. Still 2-3 hours from primetime for them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dan9 said:

So apparently in the UK, The Force Awakens is on course to smash the previous single day record... the one it set yesterday. :lol: 

Thank you to RTH the god. 

There are no words. This could get close to $60m opening in the UK. (Equivalent of around $360m in NA). Previous record is $38m!!! 

• Like 3

I've seen this a few times here and it kind of annoys me. DL says 130-145 and about 75% of everyone here went straight to 145.

Early numbers are early, take the range at face value, it's there for a reason

5 hours ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

THG and Twilight are extremely popular among women, romantic young adults novels with women as main characters are obviously popular among women

maybe the numbers really are low, but you should be comparing it to older SW movies or... i don't, maybe LOTR