AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Just now, warriormonk said:

This is spot on. Also editing and pacing. Basically at an execution level I was never worried. The story was always the big issue for me. It delivered in many ways but wow did they leave a lot of stuff hanging. I think this is the least stand alone Star Wars movie I have seen. ESB was a cliffhanger, yes, but not only was TFA a cliffhanger, it left a massive amount of info about the galaxy and some of the characters unanswered.

I thought the pacing was fantastic.  A lot of 'edge of the seat' action with plenty of times to sit back and recovery for the next one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

I thought the pacing was fantastic.  A lot of 'edge of the seat' action with plenty of times to sit back and recovery for the next one.

Completely agree. The pacing was so much better then another recent blockbuster that was based off a book that shall not be mentioned here...

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Completely agree. The pacing was so much better then another recent blockbuster that was based off a book that shall not be mentioned here...

The Martian?

I was impressed by how disappointed I was at this film, I wasn't particulary excited to see, not more than any other film anyway, but it just felt empty to me. The Galaxy felt small and everything that happened felt without consequence.

I did like the characters though, and I had may fair share of goosebumps. I certainly didn't dislike it... but I was expecting more than a New New Hope.

6 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

I was impressed by how disappointed I was at this film, I wasn't particulary excited to see, not more than any other film anyway, but it just felt empty to me. The Galaxy felt small and everything that happened felt without consequence.

I did like the characters though, and I had may fair share of goosebumps. I certainly didn't dislike it... but I was expecting more than a New New Hope.

They definitely did not bother with the greater political state of the galaxy. My hope is that they had too much to do with setting up the new characters and we are going to see a lot more of that in the next movies. really this movie was probably 20-30 minutes too short.

• Like 1

Ok, finally home.  I think JJ did an excellent job and I think he made some really logical choices that people might not be thinking of based on emotion.  He really get's the characters!!! 

Han's death - this is incredibly anti poetic if you think of it.  Through the series, Han has been running from emotional connections.  Why do you think he wanted to just drop Luke off in ANH and leave.  Or how he says "I know" back to Leia instead of "I love you too".  Remember how he wanted to leave right before the battle for Hoth?  We've seen throughout the series his transformation from being "Solo" to actually have friends he loved...so it's completely fitting how when he finally embraces his emotional side that it's his undoing.  On top of this, I think this is the first time he ACTUALLY listens to Leia when she says "bring our son home" instead of fighting her wishes again like he always does.

Kylo's personality -  I heard some complaints walking out of the movie theater that he was too whiny and was like a spoiled teenager.  Well, think about it this way...his father sent him off to train with his uncle at what I would suppose was a very young age.  On top of this, we have Han who again isn't "Mr emotions".  It's completely believable that Kylo would be almost a baby emotionally since he has so much resentment for his parents and no reference for how a man deals with emotions.  Also, if you think about it.....doesn't Kylo's personality somewhat echo another Jedi's personality who turned to the dark side?  Like Hayden...I mean like grandfather like grandson.

Luke - ok, we got like 20 seconds of him...but there was a lot of thought behind it.  If he "showed up" and saved Rey...do you think she would have continued down the path and have her true "awakening moment" as a Jedi?  No!  if you remember, she didn't want to initially take Luke's lightsaber and just wanted to go back to her planet and continue with just being normal.  She needed to save herself to go down the path she was destined for.   This makes the last scene so impactful. It shows her going out of her way to a remote planet in order to find Luke.  This is a complete 180...showing that she's actively "pursuing" her destiny instead of running away from it.  It's her "coming of age".

Last point is the lightsaber battles.  People are thinking "Oh, you could just pick up a lightsaber and use it". Well, if you think about it....Rey had her staff throughout  the movie and showed skill with it when she was attacked right when meeting Finn.  It's definitely believable that she would be good with a lightsaber and able to keep up with Kylo who most likely betrayed Luke before becoming adept himself.  This is why the lightsaber battles are so sloppy....so animalistic 

• Like 1

I'm fucking SNATCHED by Daisy's acting in this.

You know when someone who just has "it?" That was her performance for me.

Just a great presence and command of the film really. Loved her.

Boyega was stellar too. They had amazing chemistry together.

As I've said, Isaac was great, but he could have used much more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

Thank you Andy and Goldenstate5! You gave me the 999 and 1000 likes! :D

There's your 1001th like, cupcake!

Also, I fucking LIVED for Rey's arc.

If there's any role I'd love to have from recent hits, Amy Dunne is one, and Rey is another. Loved ha.

But Rey's quick understanding and grasp of the Force wasn't out of the blue to me, at all.

Honestly, a lot of those complaints might stem from sexism.

Edited by Claire Evans Holt
  • Like 1