AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

35 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Our theater clapped when the Lucasfilm logo came up, when the Episode VII showed, when Han and Chewie stepped on the Falcon when Rey grabbed the saber out of the snow and at the end.  Guess we made up for other theaters, lol.  Enthusiastic bunch of nerds, we were.

Ours too. We clapped at all those moments, plus when Leia showed up and a few other points as well. I'd guess it was close to double-digits. It was a fun crowd.

21 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I've got to say, I'm surprised by the negative opinions here. And honestly, much of what you're arguing about is stuff I felt made the movie better. Kylo Ren is way more interesting as Han/Leia's son than just another Vader-esque figure... and I felt Driver did a better job portraying the internal struggle than anything we were shown about Anakin in the prequels. Pairing Ren with Rey (who's presumably Luke's daughter) makes a really interesting dynamic moving forward for the next couple movies. In terms of the SW universe being bigger than this core family -- maybe the expanded universe, but the movies have always been closely focused on the Skywalkers, essentially, and this continues in their footsteps.

I can quibble about the general framework of the plot involving another monolithic system-destroyer, but heck, if it's good enough for JEDI it's good enough for me.

Good point. Now that I think about it, yes, we got that plot line in 4 and 6, but there really wasn't anything comparable for the entire prequel trilogy. So its been 3 movies AND 32 YEARS since that plot device was used. That's a pretty long time.

Edited by Wrath

9 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Good point. Now that I think about it, yes, we got that plot line in 4 and 6, but there really wasn't anything comparable for the entire prequel trilogy. So its been 3 movies AND 32 YEARS since that plot device was used. That's a pretty long time.

Given how large the Star Wars universe is supposed to be, that is a lame approach and excuse right there. A number of the people defending this ripped Jurassic World to shreds for being a rehash when the very concept of Jurassic Park is far more limited in scope and story possibilities than Star Wars.

• Like 2

The more I think on it, the more the ending felt a bit like the ending of Fellowship?  Like, I know there is a much larger story to tell that is coming, so yes, it was a bit of a, I don't know, "aaaaaaaand STOP" point, but it didn't really bother me.  The first time I saw ANH, when Vader lived, I remember not at all understanding because I had no real concept of a sequel.  Not so much a cliffhanger as that the true story is now really beginning.  We know these people. We care about what happens.  All the set-up is done.  The characters who need to be together have come together.  There has already been a big loss of a guiding character.  The remaining characters are fully committed now and know what has to be done.  So, yeah, very FotR for me.   That is a positive thing, at least from my point of view.

• Like 1

I agree that there's so much potential after this set up, especially with Rey and Kylo sort of manifesting as two sides of Anakin Skywalker and essentially battling it out for the Skywalker legacy. Is this family just a horrible mistake that never should've happened? Or will there be some good to come from this super powerful but also cursed family? 

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

No matter how good this is, it'll never be nominated for BP.. Technical nods?? Sure, but not BP or even Best Actor or actress..

Best Picture – Star Wars

Best Supporting Actor – Alec Guinness

Best Original Screenplay – Star Wars

and many others that year

Edited by cory

Too many JJisms in this for it to be considered seriously for BP. His complete disregard for established and actual physical laws, and a total lack of understanding of spacial awareness for example.

OK fine, most people wont notice, or care if they do, but it broke me out of all his recent movies.

47 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Given how large the Star Wars universe is supposed to be, that is a lame approach and excuse right there. A number of the people defending this ripped Jurassic World to shreds for being a rehash when the very concept of Jurassic Park is far more limited in scope and story possibilities than Star Wars.

Sure, but I wasn't one of them. I liked JW. I didn't think it was amazing, but I thought it was fun.

Look, if you see a movie in the JP series, you see dinosaurs getting free and eating people and its competently executed (at least half the time). If you like that sort of thing, you watch it. If you don't, you don't. Saying the whole "dinos running amuck" thing is getting old is missing the point of the movies.

With Star Wars movies, you're going to get jedi-sith conflict (with light saber duels), the Skywalker family soap opera, and the Empire's love of building gigantic planet-destroying bases. 42% of the movies have had one, so its safe to say its a thing at this point. If you like that sort of thing, you watch it. If you don't, you don't. 

Edit - As an addendum to the "planet-destroying bases" bit, its worth noting that this point comes up in the books almost as often as it does in the movies. Before TFA came out, there was a big debate over *which* of the book-mentioned planet-destroying threats the Empire (First Order) would use in TFA, because there are quite a few of them.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Sure, but I wasn't one of them. I liked JW. I didn't think it was amazing, but I thought it was fun.

Look, if you see a movie in the JP series, you see dinosaurs getting free and eating people and its competently executed (at least half the time). If you like that sort of thing, you watch it. If you don't, you don't. Saying the whole "dinos running amuck" thing is getting old is missing the point of the movies.

With Star Wars movies, you're going to get jedi-sith conflict (with light saber duels), the Skywalker family soap opera, and the Empire's love of building gigantic planet-destroying bases. 42% of the movies have had one, so its safe to say its a thing at this point. If you like that sort of thing, you watch it. If you don't, you don't. 

This might explain why i thought Clone Wars was better than any of the movies.

22 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Too many JJisms in this for it to be considered seriously for BP. His complete disregard for established and actual physical laws, and a total lack of understanding of spacial awareness for example.

OK fine, most people wont notice, or care if they do, but it broke me out of all his recent movies.

That's a Star Wars thing as much as a JJ thing. You've probably see the various "The Physics of Star Wars" pieces folks have written? Like half the turns the Falcon does should have turned its passengers into paste, yet all they have to do is lean slightly.

I mean, if the whole Jedi vs Sith and Skywalker family drama doesn't interest you the n maybe it's just isn't the right series for you. It's like going to a Batman movie and complaining about how he's always moping about his dead parents and fighting psycho villains. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wrath said:

My credit card bill is too high to spend money to like more posts but... I like this post. 

Let's not even mention the fact that it is intentionally given a cliffhanger, but I do think there was a definitive ending. Finn is shown recovering, but alive (like Luke in Empire), Poe is fine, Kylo Ren defeated for the time being and the Starkiller blown up (ANH) and of course the Rey/Luke confrontation (something we haven't seen before!)... so I don't get why people are pissed about any of that nonsense. Yes, the structure is a little wonky and yea they borrowed here and there but, hey, that's Star Wars. It's still an entertaining, fun, gripping space opera, now with actual characters who are likable and say dialogue that other humans would also say, and that's fun to listen to and watch, and care about.

I'm cracking up that people are defending the prequels because they "dared to be different"... so basically even though it's telling a story we already know, as long as it's not like Star Wars, it doesn't matter that it's shit. Come on, let the people have their fun entertainment. That's all Star Wars ever really was, it just happened to be the most popular at doing it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wrath said:

That's a Star Wars thing as much as a JJ thing. You've probably see the various "The Physics of Star Wars" pieces folks have written? Like half the turns the Falcon does should have turned its passengers into paste, yet all they have to do is lean slightly.

No no not that. JJ got warp speed and distance completely wrong in Star Trek and he got physics all wrong in TFA. Why were the destroyed planets so close to each other? How could they be seen from the other planets? If the weapon was a hyperspace energy weapon why wasnt its blast in hyperspace? He ignores established and obvious points like that if it means a good cheap shot or lazy plot device

8 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

It's still an entertaining, fun, gripping space opera, now with actual characters who are likable and say dialogue that other humans would also say, and that's fun to listen to and watch, and care about.

As a minor aside, it occurred to me last night that I like the term Space Opera for Star Wars. Because, imo, Star Wars isn't really very science fiction-y.

Yes, they have blasters and starships and stuff, but it doesn't really follow most of the tropes of science fiction. It follows some, but not nearly as many as, say, Star Trek. Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars, imo, has a lot more in common with the fantasy genre and is much more of a mix of the two than folks generally acknowledge.

I think Space Opera isn't a very precise term, but I like it a lot better for Star Wars than Science Fiction.

Edited by Wrath

This is much more fun than the prequels, let's just get that out of the way right now. The acting across the board is much better here for starters (where the JJ/Lucas difference is the most apparent). But it does make you appreciate what Lucas was going for story-wise with those films even if he failed miserably at it. I would really like it if Johnson and Trevorrow branched off a bit with the next films.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4