AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 hour ago, Sagemode87 said:

Here we go again? It's a perfect complaint about the movie. Even if there was an explanation, which there is not, a villain is supposed to look strong until the end. Rey should've lost the fight, we're supposed to anticipate her growth, not Rens. Ren not fully trained? Rey just picked up a lightsaber for crying out loud. He was trained by Luke and his master. If we're not supposed to believe he's strong, why the hell is he leading a fleet of stormtroopers. No way he should've lost to someone who picked up a lightsaber for the first time. It's bad writing no matter how you cut it. Fans always make an excuse for this. Kylo is just a crap villain, couldn't take him serious anymore after he took off the mask. Speaking of which, the unmasking was way too casual and he looks like David Schwimmer from FRIENDS. Terrible villain. 

Why does a villain HAVE to be invincible all the time?

Do you want the same story in every movie?

The taking off the mask was PERFECT in my opinion. Not a scarred up old man like Vader. Not a perfect killing machine. Just a confused young man who hides his conflict and imperfections behind an intimidating mask. A daring route but fascinating route to go to follow up the greatest villain of all time in Darth Vader.

It was brilliant. And the finish with the light saber duel? Chills. Flat out amazing.

And dont come back with the fans will comeback to their senses after the hype wears down. The way they executed kylo and Rey are and will remain 2 of the best aspects of this great film.

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 5

Okay, now I can do a clear review, the theater high has wore off. It's in spoiler tag so its not a scroll hassle for mobile users. With that said...

Spoiler

5 stars. What an experience. Now I know how people felt back in '77. I couldn't stop grinning and went straight to snapchat the poster afterwards.

- The acting was great. The 3 newcomers are going to have bright careers. Nothing that plagued the prequels played this. No wooden acting, no ridiculous dialogue, no overacting, none of that.

- The characterization was also great as well. Han Solo and Chewie were they're typical selves. So was Leia (though she was underused). Finn's path was more predictable, but we were still able to see him grow, and I wasn't expecting that much charisma (but I shouldve been after Attack the Block). I've underrated Oscar Isaac too because Po was positive and very likable. Kylo Ren was more ruthless than I was expecting, and they really gave him a good amount of depth. Can't wait to see more of it in 8. You could tell Phasma was a boss bitch even with the helmet, and Maz was amazing. She looked like a walking orange, but very charismatic and wise. Lupita was a perfect pick. Hux was kinda annoying though. I was hoping Ren would choke his ass out, but he never did. Wasn't too high on Snoke either. He was just an uglier Palpatine.

Obviously the true star is Rey/Ridley. I was not expecting her to be Jedi. And she didn't feel like a forced character. She's not in this movie to satisfy the SJW's. She felt organic, and I was surprised by how much skill she had. I enjoyed seeing something go wrong and she'd be like "I can fix that!" And while it's obvious this was more of an introduction, it makes me really want to see how her story goes. Is Luke her father? Will her and Chewie get along in the Falcon? Are her and Finn gonna hook up? How is she so mentally stable being alone for so long? (Cast Away anyone). It's a damn soap opera with her! Tune it next week, and I will be. Very strong performance and a very likable character. BB8 was cute and whoever came up with the idea for him needs $$$. Like I really like BB8.

- The score and sound, oh God. The script was crisp. Pacing was great, no real lag, and nothing felt too rushed. The effects were very 2010's, but there was no overuse of CGI. There was more explosive action than I was expecting, and I loved it. The duels were well choreographed as well and pretty tense.

- A lot of surprises as well. Rey's Jedi reveal, Han dying (wtf), C3PO!!!!!!!!, and Kylo as Han's son (wtffff). Was not expecting any of that! Was hoping for a Lando reunion, but you can't get everything you want.

- This really was A New Hope: The Forcequel. From the "look at the desert horizon" scene, to a character changing their mind and coming back to help, to the "destroy this big ass weapon by shooting at this" plotline. I appreciate the familiarity, though I can see how that's annoying to some diehards. I wish they would've not followed so close, but it's not something that bugs me.

- What makes this even more special is that even though I had seen the prequels and had SW stuff as a kid, I didn't see the OT until like April. So there's no "OT bias" in me. I didn't grow up with it.

- Some of the characters were underused like Phasma and Leia, and the destruction of that planet seemed to kinda just glide by. Some of the characters were pretty butt ugly and yall know I'm not a fan of that. Maybe some other negatives will stick out on rewatch.

I was also going to say how the hell did they manage to build the Starkiller in 30 years, but I see it was a planet converted, so that makes sense. Really liked how the laser could break apart. Scurry shit.

For now I think I'll say 1. ESB, 2. TFA and ANH, 4. ROTJ. I'm fully on board now. I told my mom I hope this is all still going on when I have kids, so they can have this experience. The guy next to me kept tapping and nudging his kid when Vader's helmet appeared. I want to be able to do that someday. If anything deserves a billion, this is it.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 11

I think the movie is setting up a larger grander story but left so many questions unanswered it made the film itself a bit shallow on Details and background.

Like it's not me all of cousins who say it but liked the movie think the bad guy is quite lacking in this movie unless he becomes more of a threat.

Like he is interesting character but the finale fight would been better as a draw.

If the film did not have a luke reveal I doubt I would be dying in anticipation for what happens next.

However that is SW if one does like the jedi fight seeing rey and luke at the end had me have goosebumps in epic ness. 

Will watch it again and try not to always compare it to the originals. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, Ajipon said:

Basically what you want is Darth Vader v.2, stronger than Darth Vader the original. I'm going to make a wild guess and say that you like Dragon Ball - the ever escalating villains, and the ever escalating action sequence thrills you. It's fine that you like it (and many do), but that was my biggest fear going in the movie. If anything, I find Starkiller base to be the weakest part of the movie. Kylo Ren is way more interesting for me because he's flawed and insecure. Now we got a chance to see him grow, together with the protagonist. 

Speaking of ever escalating villains, that is the biggest problem with all kinds of superhero stories with a long arc. Just like Dragon Ball, any other heroes with supernatural powers suffer the same narrative problem like Superman, or Marvel Universe (I read somewhere that in Marvel Universe, they finally are up against practically God with the gauntlet thing?). Batman is somewhat better since he's just human and the villains have more variations in their methods. 

And remember, Luke destroyed the Death Star without the aid of the computer on a fighter plane he was flying the first time. 

I think if you watch sw new then it's not an issue.

It's you watch the old films...hero rises from nothing and fights Vader in two epic iconic duels and bests him in the end. 

In the prequels you had epic legendary fights of differnet kinds.

Now it's back to everyone is a noob again...which makes sense for the story.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think if you watch sw new then it's not an issue.

It's you watch the old films...hero rises from nothing and fights Vader in two epic iconic duels and bests him in the end. 

In the prequels you had epic legendary fights of differnet kinds.

Now it's back to everyone is a noob again...which makes sense for the story.

Exactely

This is a new beginning. Whichever characters in this movie are the force sensitive ones they're basically just starting out on this journey. 

Kylo isnt  at the beginning but he's not at the end either. His training isn't complete and he's not as strong as he likes to think he is. When he's try to use the force on Rey in order to get information out of her she fights back and sees into his mind as well. She sees that he's scared. Scared that he's not going to be his grand-father. 

I absolutely loved the character!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sagemode87 said:

Here we go again? It's a perfect complaint about the movie. Even if there was an explanation, which there is not, a villain is supposed to look strong until the end. Rey should've lost the fight, we're supposed to anticipate her growth, not Rens. Ren not fully trained? Rey just picked up a lightsaber for crying out loud. He was trained by Luke and his master. If we're not supposed to believe he's strong, why the hell is he leading a fleet of stormtroopers. No way he should've lost to someone who picked up a lightsaber for the first time. It's bad writing no matter how you cut it. Fans always make an excuse for this. Kylo is just a crap villain, couldn't take him serious anymore after he took off the mask. Speaking of which, the unmasking was way too casual and he looks like David Schwimmer from FRIENDS. Terrible villain. 

You are basing a lot of this on what you think was "supposed" to happen.    This makes me like him even more because if what you are saying is the formula, then I'm glad he isn't a formula character.

Also most of your complaint rests on you not acknowledging things about Ren and Rey.

Rey was obviously a trained fighter.   Did you miss how she took down multiple opponents before owning a trained Stormtrooper?   She is no novice fighter.   If you equate her skill level to Luke that is a very bad comparison.   She is quick on her feet, resourceful and smart, and is a foe to be reckoned with after a lifetime of hardship.   She is more than you are describing.

Ren is less than you are describing.   He was wounded, tired from being fresh off a fight with Finn, emotionally distraught from killing Han, lacking confidence in his abilities, and fighting from a position of weakness where he was not allowed to kill Rey.   That last one is not minor.    And surely you didn't miss the part where we learned that he is not fully trained yet?

All those things count.   They are known factors about these characters contained n the narrative.  It's not like this was a fight between Luke and Vader from ANH.

4 hours ago, Ajipon said:

If anything, I find Starkiller base to be the weakest part of the movie. Kylo Ren is way more interesting for me because he's flawed and insecure. Now we got a chance to see him grow, together with the protagonist. 

Agreed.   I would think complaints about the movie would center on that instead of Rey of all things.    I doubt anyone will mention the Starkiller as time goes by....but Rey and Ren are going to be in a lot of conversations.    That scene when they have the mental battle was epic.

Thinking about the scene where he first removes his helmet, I really like his calm there.   He had so much confidence in himself.   ...And then a few minutes later he was a mess after confronting the power of Rey.

2 hours ago, jandrew said:

Obviously the true star is Rey/Ridley. I was not expecting her to be Jedi. And she didn't feel like a forced character. She's not in this movie to satisfy the SJW's. She felt organic, and I was surprised by how much skill she had. I enjoyed seeing something go wrong and she'd be like "I can fix that!"

Agreed.   I was just thinking about how much I love her optimistic outlook.

2 hours ago, jandrew said:

I told my mom I hope this is all still going on when I have kids, so they can have this experience. The guy next to me kept tapping and nudging his kid when Vader's helmet appeared. I want to be able to do that someday. If anything deserves a billion, this is it.

That's beautiful man.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

I can't believe some of you can't comprehend that there is more to Rey than what they show.

I can't believe you want the whole story told to you in paint by numbers

I can't believe you don't get that they give you plenty of hints in the movie that she was trained as a Jedi before.

I can't believe some of you come off as being so weak minded.

It's brilliant writing.  Maybe it just went over your head sagemodel.  Did Kathleen Kennedy screw your dad and split up your family?

Are you saying Rey is the Mysterious Stranger?

What is the mysterious stranger?  What I'm saying is that she obviously has Jedi training previously, there's enough hints at that and enough told to us about her without revealing exactly who she is.

It's a reference for the game Knights of the Old Republic.

Anyway, I think Kylo Ren, regardless of the other two people, felt quite weak in the fight. I know there a lot of mitigating factors to explain why the fight went as it did, but in the end, he didn't deliver. 

• Like 1

Kylo was wounded

Kylo was instructed to bring her to Snokes

Kylo is also not as gifted in the force as she is.

He's bad ass no doubt, but when she finally let it all in, she discovered who she truly is.  Ep 8 will reveal all of the answers but I'm more than satisfied with what they have left us with.

• Like 5