AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Just saw this. Did not like it at all until the scene with Hans Solo and his son. Rey's character felt forced down the viewer's throats. She was written as a Hero and this made her hard to connect with. There is no sense of growth. Rey already can fight with a staff, is an expert pilot, is a skilled mechanic, is a marksman, and is the quickest study in the Force ever witnessed, even beating the villain in a lightsaber duel. With Luke's character he went from brave but callow youth to hero. Here there is really no heroic journey and no development. Rey starts out as a hero and we just have to accept it. Ridley was OK but she never invests the character with any real humanity, although we see glimpses of it in flashbacks. But really Harrison Ford is the heart of the film, along with seeing the rest of the old gang. When they show up it carries the film and I liked it at the end.   

Edited by straggler

7 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

since when did Coulson (sp) come back in the Avengers or any other movie?  i thought he was one of the few comic book characters that stayed dead (Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben).

Coulson wasn't a comic book character. 

Out of curiosity, @Harpospoke, what would've convinced you that Han is dead? Because there's a world of different between, say, simply not seeing Poe in the wreckage and getting run through the gut with a lightsaber before falling hundreds of feet into a crevasse before a planet explodes. (And honestly, I'll give you the fall and the exploding, but not the lightsaber). :lol: 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

since when did Coulson (sp) come back in the Avengers or any other movie?  i thought he was one of the few comic book characters that stayed dead (Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben).

Coulson was resurrected in the Agents of SHIELD tv show, though he hasn't been in the films again. Joss Whedon claims that he considers Coulson still dead, despite the fact that he plotted the resurrection and hired his hack relatives to run the show. Oddly enough, no member of his family (including his brother's father-in-law) has offered to repay their salaries to Disney, so he can't be too remorseful about bringing the character back.

They should have gone with the first cut of that scene and kept the R rating. Ren deliberately slices Han's arms and legs off and throws them into the trench. Then, using the Force to keep him conscious slowly disembowel him. Then, slice his head of and throw the remaining pieces over the edge. 

• Like 2

I seriously find that upsetting. That mindset is what leads to 

:ohmyzod:vxkDmKR.jpg

"A villain cannot show vulnerability; a villain cannot be characterized; a villain cannot be made a flawed, complicated, actual character. A villain must be intimidating until they're beaten in the third act"

• Like 11

Just now, Frozen said:

What about a Kylo/Poe/Finn love triangle?

Kylo doesn't deserve them he'd post creepy stalkerish essays on tumblr after he realized they love each other more than him

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frozen said:

What about a Kylo/Poe/Finn love triangle?

Kylo is more like the one that wrote Finn/Poe fanfic and included himself in there to feel better. 

• Like 4

I'd rather theorize about Rey's parents. The Force is probably her deadbeat baby daddy, but the real twist is that her mother is Luke's daughter. That makes the Force both her father and her great-great-grandfather, leading to even more fucked up incestuous Skywalker insanity. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Luke's her dad but JJ loves the OT so much and Empire is so well known for its twist, I'm kinda talking myself into there being a twist, just because.

Like what if her dad is Palpatine and her mom is a female clone of Boba Fett

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Coulson was resurrected in the Agents of SHIELD tv show, though he hasn't been in the films again. Joss Whedon claims that he considers Coulson still dead, despite the fact that he plotted the resurrection and hired his hack relatives to run the show. Oddly enough, no member of his family (including his brother's father-in-law) has offered to repay their salaries to Disney, so he can't be too remorseful about bringing the character back.

hmmm... i've never seen Agents of SHIELD, but i thought that show was from a previous timeline, not the current one, not unlike that new show with Cap's old WW2 girlfriend.  in the current timeline she's either really old or dead, so i don't think we'll ever see her again in any Marvel movie.  or Coulson, unless i'm wrong and he's still really alive.