AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

42 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

My dad's amazing theory isn't that she's related to anyone, he thinks that Rey has Obi-Wan in her, trapped in her. His evidence is he heard both young and old Obi-Wan during the flashback. 

I think he's over thinking it honestly. :rofl:

So's Yoda? Man, that's gotta be awkward. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm pretty sure Luke's her dad but JJ loves the OT so much and Empire is so well known for its twist, I'm kinda talking myself into there being a twist, just because.

Like what if her dad is Palpatine and her mom is a female clone of Boba Fett

JJ isn't involved in the next movie(s) and also not the one who would make that decision in the first place

22 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

hmmm... i've never seen Agents of SHIELD, but i thought that show was from a previous timeline, not the current one, not unlike that new show with Cap's old WW2 girlfriend.  in the current timeline she's either really old or dead, so i don't think we'll ever see her again in any Marvel movie.  or Coulson, unless i'm wrong and he's still really alive.

Agents of SHIELD is not only happening concurrently with the MCU timeline, it also ties in (loosely) with the films. Most notably with CA:TWS, which happened during the end of AOS season one, destroying SHIELD and totally upending the show's structure.

The tv and film universes aren't tightly tied together because there's been major executive strife between the divisions. It's too much to go into here, but Feige has broken away from the tv/comics side of the biz and gained control of the film empire. We'll not be seeing the tv characters in the MCU anytime soon, thankfully.

43 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm pretty sure Luke's her dad but JJ loves the OT so much and Empire is so well known for its twist, I'm kinda talking myself into there being a twist, just because.

Like what if her dad is Palpatine and her mom is a female clone of Boba Fett

I think there will be a twist but it will relate to Snoke. They really can't do a twist with Rey at this point anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Agents of SHIELD is not only happening concurrently with the MCU timeline, it also ties in (loosely) with the films. Most notably with CA:TWS, which happened during the end of AOS season one, destroying SHIELD and totally upending the show's structure.

The tv and film universes aren't tightly tied together because there's been major executive strife between the divisions. It's too much to go into here, but Feige has broken away from the tv/comics side of the biz and gained control of the film empire. We'll not be seeing the tv characters in the MCU anytime soon, thankfully.

Also, events in AoS lead directly into AoU.  

2 hours ago, Talkie said:

But...Han died onscreen. :mellow: 

I didn't see him die.   I saw him get wounded really bad and fall...that's it.

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Out of curiosity, @Harpospoke, what would've convinced you that Han is dead? Because there's a world of different between, say, simply not seeing Poe in the wreckage and getting run through the gut with a lightsaber before falling hundreds of feet into a crevasse before a planet explodes. (And honestly, I'll give you the fall and the exploding, but not the lightsaber). :lol: 

I'm not convinced he's alive either.   I just have no idea how everyone seems to be so certain he's dead given the numerous times that trick has been pulled in movies under the "dies off screen and we never see the body" circumstance.   I'm definitely leaving the option open.   I'm not falling for it for the 100th time.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would suspect you guys work for Disney and are trying to shoot down speculation so it will be a "surprise" in an upcoming movie.   ;) 

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

They should have gone with the first cut of that scene and kept the R rating. Ren deliberately slices Han's arms and legs off and throws them into the trench. Then, using the Force to keep him conscious slowly disembowel him. Then, slice his head of and throw the remaining pieces over the edge. 

Way more convincing!    ...Although I actually saw Prof X disintegrated by Phoenix and he came back.    So a writer can get them out of anything really.   Especially in a fantasy/syfi world like Star Wars.    They put Anakin back together 60 years earlier and he was a goner in that lava pit.

1 hour ago, lobo007 said:

hmmm... i've never seen Agents of SHIELD, but i thought that show was from a previous timeline, not the current one, not unlike that new show with Cap's old WW2 girlfriend.  in the current timeline she's either really old or dead, so i don't think we'll ever see her again in any Marvel movie.  or Coulson, unless i'm wrong and he's still really alive.

Him being brought back to life is actually one of the main story lines in the show.    And since it gives us a break from the horrible Skye character, it's a welcome relief any time it pops up.

31 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Dude, Han Solo is DEAD.. A lightsaber through the gut, fall several hundred feet to the bottom of this half ass Death star, not to mention the damn thing blowing up pretty well means he's toast and under no circumstances will they pull a STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR HAN SOLO with this..

You guys seem really sure and I have no idea why...other than "Ford doesn't want to do it any more".    Any writer can easily save him.   Lots of people got off that thing before it blew.   It's not like it blew up right away.

I'll keep the option open thank you very much.   Seen this trick too many times to be fooled again.

4 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Certainly.   We can of course start with Poe from this very movie.   Brief explanation was all we needed and he was back to life.   "Oh yeah...I was thrown clear"

Gandalf (Fellowship)

Spock (Wrath of Kahn)

Prof X (Xmen 3)

Patrick and SpongeBob (SpongeBob movie)

Letty (Fast and Furious)

Jesus (Passion of the Christ....I couldn't resist)

Neo (Matrix)

Aslan (Chronicles of Narnia)

Lestat (Interview with a Vampire)

Coulson (Avengers)

Nick Fury (AoU)

Groot (GotG)

Bucky (TFA)

Batman (TDKR)

Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows 2)

Ripley (Allen 3)

Westley (The Princess Bride)

Elektra (Daredevil)

Doc Brown (Back to the Future)

Sherlock (Sherlock)

I shouldn't keep engaging in this discussion, but it's driving me crazy.

You aren't even following your own rules with this list!  The rule is, "If you don't see them die, they aren't really dead."  I haven't disputed you on that at all, I totally agree, that happens a lot.  Just like with Poe in this very movie.

But, on this list, Gandalf, Letty, Batman, and Bucky are the only four that qualify that statement.  Gandalf falls off a bridge presumed dead by everyone.  Letty "dies" off camera and Dom gets a phone call about it.  Bucky falls off the train and presumed dead.  Batman was a no brainer.

Spock - sacrifices himself and dies very much on screen.

Prof X gets ripped apart on screen.(COMIC BOOK)

A cartoon?  Really?

Neo was shot full of bullets and flatlined.  Again all on camera. 

Aslan also died on screen.

Lestat?  Isn't he a vampire?

Coulson got stabbed in the chest and died in Fury's arms.

Nick Fury(in TWS actually) was very much pronounced dead and was shown on a slab for all to see.

Groot sacrificed himself and was destroyed.  You could see the little bits that were left!

Harry Potter really died, right?  I mean he was lifeless and stuff.  Right there for all to see.

Ripley fucking jumped into a pit of molten steel to kill herself!!!  

Westly was only mostly dead, doesn't count.

Electra - I don't even remember enough to care what happened to her.

Doc Brown, was shot in the chest with an AK.  You see it!

Sherlock?  Don't remember either.

All of these people very much died ON SCREEN.  They may have come back for whatever reason, but that doesn't negate the fact that you SAW THEM DIE.  

In the 6 previous Star Wars movie there is only one person I can think of that took a lightsaber to the gut besides Han Solo.  That was Qui-Gon, and that motherfucker is a force ghost now.  

• Like 2

Groot = no one knows of he even remembers the old Groot or if he is 'only' a sapling / sprig or whatever the term is correct for him = IMHO doesn't belong on that list, as he is clearly not the typical 'not-dead-but-still-the-same-person'

Gandalf... might be wrong too, as he said the PTB ~ remade him for open/not-done-by-The-White to do work, but he at least - after a while - remembers himself and seems to have more or less the same personality (slightly changed).

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

If they pulled a TREK and ressurected him, I'd shit all over the idea and the movie for even coming up with that idea instead of being bold and letting well enough alone... He's gone and that's the way Ford wanted it along with his 25M Paycheck he received for doing this... It sucks but what's done is done and backtracking on that has more of a potential to have critics crap on te next one if they did that...

Whether or not it's a good idea is a different subject.   I'm just pointing out the fact we didn't see Han die and what that often means in movies.

Coincidentally, add another one to the list.   I just watched Insurgent.   Yep....there is was again....Beatrice "died".    ....But wait!   Miraculous comeback!   I mean...this happens all the time and I'm the only one who notices?

2 hours ago, Darth Rallax said:

You aren't even following your own rules with this list!  The rule is, "If you don't see them die, they aren't really dead."  I haven't disputed you on that at all, I totally agree, that happens a lot.  Just like with Poe in this very movie.

But, on this list, Gandalf, Letty, Batman, and Bucky are the only four that qualify that statement.  Gandalf falls off a bridge presumed dead by everyone.  Letty "dies" off camera and Dom gets a phone call about it.  Bucky falls off the train and presumed dead.  Batman was a no brainer.

Spock - sacrifices himself and dies very much on screen.

Prof X gets ripped apart on screen.(COMIC BOOK)

A cartoon?  Really?

Neo was shot full of bullets and flatlined.  Again all on camera. 

Aslan also died on screen.

Lestat?  Isn't he a vampire?

Coulson got stabbed in the chest and died in Fury's arms.

Nick Fury(in TWS actually) was very much pronounced dead and was shown on a slab for all to see.

Groot sacrificed himself and was destroyed.  You could see the little bits that were left!

Harry Potter really died, right?  I mean he was lifeless and stuff.  Right there for all to see.

Ripley fucking jumped into a pit of molten steel to kill herself!!!  

Westly was only mostly dead, doesn't count.

Electra - I don't even remember enough to care what happened to her.

Doc Brown, was shot in the chest with an AK.  You see it!

Sherlock?  Don't remember either.

All of these people very much died ON SCREEN.  They may have come back for whatever reason, but that doesn't negate the fact that you SAW THEM DIE.  

In the 6 previous Star Wars movie there is only one person I can think of that took a lightsaber to the gut besides Han Solo.  That was Qui-Gon, and that motherfucker is a force ghost now.  

Exactly my point.    Even when you actually see them die....that doesn't mean they are really dead.    But in a case like this where you DON'T see Han die and there is no body?    If that's not causing skepticism I don't know what everyone has been watching over the years.   This isn't "anonymous crew member"...this is Han Solo.   And that's all he gets?   No big funeral like Darth Vader got?     

And yep...cartoons, vampires, fantasy characters....they all cheat death.   Happens all the time.   They all are only "mostly dead".  (genius by Princess Bride to give it the proper name)    Finding a way around "death" in a Sci-fi movie?    Not exactly stretching believability.    Back to the Future pulled it off with ease.

You see, I'm not saying we should think Han is alive...I'm questioning this idea that there is some kind of certainly that he is dead.   Where you guys are getting all this certainty I have no idea.   When a character dies off screen that means there is a very real possibility they did not die.   That's movie law right there.

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

If they pulled a TREK and ressurected him, I'd shit all over the idea and the movie for even coming up with that idea instead of being bold and letting well enough alone... He's gone and that's the way Ford wanted it along with his 25M Paycheck he received for doing this... It sucks but what's done is done and backtracking on that has more of a potential to have critics crap on te next one if they did that...

He needs to be bankrupted and force him to come back.  Cage style!

6 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

You guys seem really sure and I have no idea why...other than "Ford doesn't want to do it any more".    Any writer can easily save him.   Lots of people got off that thing before it blew.   It's not like it blew up right away.

I'll keep the option open thank you very much.   Seen this trick too many times to be fooled again.

I'm not sure he's dead. $23 million seems like a lot for one movie. Plus we never once got to see the trio together. I don't think he would be heavily featured in the last two, but I think him turning up alive is not out of the question. Anyone can be brought back to life in a sci-fi fantasy story. 

• Like 1