AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Fisher wasn't help by her speech impediment she got from fake teeth. The same Sean Connery used to have.

She struggled through EVERY line.

She was awful.

She was good in Map to the Stars.

Just came back from seeing this, it was a good movie nothing special at all as the hype and reviews suggests that it is. There were some pretty average acting from the new actors, pacing issues half way through the movie and some generic character scenes. I give it a 7/10.

Don't be surprised by the fans/critics disconnect regarding Force Awakens.

Critics don't give a fuck about Star Wars.

Never had/never will.

I love the idea that Hype means best movie ever (or simply really great one) in some people s mind, that naiveté is beautiful.

99% of the fans/GA will love this movie.

And there will be that very vocal 1% on the Internet that thinks that it is right. They are not right. They are not right about Jurassic World either. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

99% of the fans/GA will love this movie.

And there will be that very vocal 1% on the Internet that thinks that it is right. They are not right. They are not right about Jurassic World either. 

I would still say Force Awakens steals even more ideas from the movie  it s paying hommage to though.

Just now, The Futurist said:

I would still say Force Awakens steals even more ideas from the movie  it s paying hommage to though.

I agree that The Force Awakens is A New Hope in a new and more modern suit. But there is also a ton of cool stuff in it. And tbh, that didn't bothered me. But JW didn't bothered me either. I just love these worlds too much. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Don't be surprised by the fans/critics disconnect regarding Force Awakens.

Critics don't give a fuck about Star Wars.

Never had/never will.

I love the idea that Hype means best movie ever (or simply really great one) in some people s mind, that naiveté is beautiful.

Are you talking about the movie that is currently sitting at 94% on RT?

No SW is rotten, not even the mediocre prequels. Even TPM was actually fresh until the 3D release when it seems some critics discovered it was a turd 10 years after the fact even if it was exactly the same movie as before...:rolleyes:

Sorry but the "Critics are disconnected pompous snobs fapping on Oscar baits and boring foreign movies that spit on populist entertainment" doesn't work at all in this case. I'd say the majority of them are very forgiving and indulgent regarding SW whereas they would rip a new asshole to any other similar movies showcasing the same issues.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Are you talking about the movie that is currently sitting at 94% on RT?

No SW is rotten, not even the mediocre prequels. Even TPM was actually fresh until the 3D release when it seems some critics discovered it was a turd 10 years after the fact even if it was exactly the same movie as before...:rolleyes:

Sorry but the "Critics are disconnected pompous snobs fapping on Oscar baits and boring foreign movies that spit on populist entertainment" doesn't work at all in this case. I'd say the majority of them are very forgiving and indulgent regarding SW whereas they would rip a new asshole to any other similar movies showcasing the same issues.

I am not sure I understand the point you re trying to make.

Critics are forgiving about Star wars, just because ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the planets say everything about this movie. it's not tatooine but it might as well be tatooine. it's not hoth but it might as well be hoth. it's not a death star but it might as well be a death star. he's not palpatine but it might as well be palpatine. etc.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that Snoke guy actually ends up being a warped clone of Palpatine.

One of the very first rumours when the film was announced was that there would be a clone of Palpatine.

I think Futurist and Dash are both right in their own way. On one hand, a lot of critics came of age during the original Star Wars era. I think they have a soft spot for this franchise in their heart. A.O. Scott pretty much admitted this in an article he wrote about A New Hope.

But the flip side of this is that they are movie critics who are busy reviewing hundreds of other movies each year. They do not have the time to obsess over a single movie the way the SW fanboys will obsess over this one. That means they won't be able to nitpick it to death. So the movie will get a thumbs up and then move on down the road to focus on Oscar bait films.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

"Critics don't give a fuck about Star Wars"

Based on what facts exactly?

Reading the reviews.

It doesn't take an MIT degree to see most critics (so not the new bloggers/fan sites millenials ones, children of the 80's and Lucas/SPielberg) don't care for fantasy, sf, super heroes, those movies, heroes and stories don't matter to them.

They don't "heart" this culture.

You can see the distance they have from those movies reading the reviews.

Like giving a great review to Star Trek while admitting  you didn't understand anything about the movie and its mumbo jumbo sci fi dialogue is very telling imo.

It passes over their heads entirely.

If they were entertained and didn't find the movie too dumb and liked the actors performances in it, they will give a good review to a Star Wars, Marvel, JW or whatever big sci-fi/fantasy film but their interest in those movies remains limited.

Most of the time they are even condescending about all these movies, they are not serious or grounded in reality enough to them to matter to them.

Edited by The Futurist