AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 minute ago, goldenstate5 said:

Film meant to be a rebirth of franchise has allusions to A New Hope despite still managing to be hugely entertaining. Who gives a shit?

Oh, right, the godawful Internet. Never more wretched hive of scum and nitpickery

Calm down son, I didn't hate the movie.  They played it super, super safe and I get that.

The OT s spirit was lost in the prequels !

This is too much like the OT !

Some people are very good at whining about what they don't want bu they surely don't know what they want.

They should try books.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Actually, my only real disappointments pretty much all stem from lack of screentime for characters. Poe, R2, 3PO, and Phasma (talk about pointless) all got the shaft big time. 

Given all of those characters more screen time would add another 10-15 minutes. Phasma could been a person  not in the suit and not marketed.  

I really didn't care how familiar some of it was to ANH and I was looking for those types of scenes. I caught them all and just enjoyed the ride. Certain people are acting like that's all there was and nothing new and that's not true. It felt different but at home. And that's what people wanted.

I watched all 6 movies again leading up to this. This was such a relief after the prequels. 

They made light sabers matter again, they made the fights intense again, they made the storm troopers not clones, they added blood, they made the villian frightening and layered again, they made the dialogue a lot better again, they took away the all green screen scenes and brought back real sets, they made the characters feel like real people with real emotions, there was no talk of treaties, there was no politics, no one just blew threw the storm troopers like the jedi did to the endless robot armies...I could go on and on about why this was great. 

By the way we don't even know if Kylo is a sith. That word was only mentioned once.

There is a lot to answer still, like why Rey was left on that planet. Those opening scenes with her were so good.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But this movie also doesn't have any of the emotional hooks that film does. Granted, ESB was underappreciated in its time but I can't imagine this movie ultimately being seen as much more than a diverting setup for a bigger story

But I was commenting on your complaint that this movie left a lot of loose ends.  ESB was the king of that.

sport-football-footballers-rugby_player-

5 minutes ago, bladels said:

Just got back from the theater.

It's a good movie and a lot of fun but i think they played too safe and there're too much of setting up for the trilogy that left the film feels incomplete. 

I give it 8/10

(film kills off Han Solo)

"They played it too safe"

...I just don't get some of y'all sometimes I swear

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The OT s spirit was lost in the prequels !

This is too much like the OT !

Some people are very good at whining about what they don't want bu they surely don't know what they want.

They should try books.

Stll, I think you'll see a lot less whining with this one than the PT

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I watched all 6 movies again leading up to this. This was such a relief after the prequels. 

They made light sabers matter again, they made the fights intense again, they made the storm troopers not clones, they added blood, they made the villian frightening and layered again, they made the dialogue a lot better again, they took away the green screen scenes, they made the characters feel like real people with real emotions, there was no talk of treaty, there was no politics, no one just blew threw the storm troopers like the jedi did to the endless robot armies...I could go on and on about why this was great. 

Yes, this was a thousand times better than George's last 3 bowel movements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Calm down son, I didn't hate the movie.  They played it super, super safe and I get that.

With 4 billion on the line, as a business decision, it was the only choice they could make. Hopefully going forward, now with things established, they are willing to take chances, as people will give them the benefit of the doubt again. 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But this movie also doesn't have any of the emotional hooks that film does. Granted, ESB was underappreciated in its time but I can't imagine this movie ultimately being seen as much more than a diverting setup for a bigger story

But I was commenting on your complaint that this movie left a lot of loose ends.  ESB was the king of that.

sport-football-footballers-rugby_player-playing_rugby-football_players-jna0612_low.jpg

I think ESB being a more character driven movie in general made that a lot more acceptable to me. I said earlier that this felt like 3/4 of a story, like they just wanted to shoot two hours of action and call it a movie

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

(film kills off Han Solo)

"They played it too safe"

...I just don't get some of y'all sometimes I swear

I meant to mention that in my comments.

They killed off one of the most popular characters in movie history.

If they were playing it safe Luke would have saved Rey's ass, R2D2 would have been with Rey/Finn and manged to take down the shield without anyone knowing about it... and Han and Leia would have ended up doing it in the cockpit of an X-Wing after he proved again he'll do what is right when it's for her.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Yes, this was a thousand times better than George's last 3 bowel movements.

It is executed much better. But the underlying story? No way to know that till after 8 and 9. Most people don't bother to look at it because they cant get past the failed execution, but the underlying story is stellar in the prequels.

Tribe... pls don't tell me you liked TGD more than TFA. Please don't.

Well, I don't want to get into the comparative merits of both here, but yes, I did.

Frankly, if me liking it more than Inside Out didn't rattle you, you may as well let this one go