AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

To be fair, it was not really part of the story in A New Hope when it first came out. Lucas did a great job of making up the family ties after the fact and it worked really well for the two sequels.

Guess what, the bad guy and the boy and girl that randomly met, they are all related, even that was a bit of a stretch.

2 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Allusions definitely. But calling it a straight-up "remake"? Stop being so overly dramatic.

It was a well-executed blend of old elements introducing the new, with old plot elements recalling the past as history tends to repeat itself in various different ways. It's a common thing in a lot of myths.

I take some of you hate the BTTF sequels with a passion too.

I only saw the BTTF sequels one time each and have no desire to revisit them. Original one is great though. I don't hate TFA either as you seem to be implying with your "hate" comment. I just think the movie will be more remembered for its insane box office than for the story itself, kinda like Jurassic World (which was also a remake).

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

That dude who played Kylo Ren was not menacing at all though. The actor was average at best and when he first pulled off that helmet in front of Rey, people in the audience laughed at the long haired pretty boy behind the voice lol.

Adam Driver is a pretty boy ?

I ve read it all now.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

That dude who played Kylo Ren was not menacing at all though. The actor was average at best and when he first pulled off that helmet in front of Rey, people in the audience laughed at the long haired pretty boy behind the voice lol.

Totally disagree. I thought Adam Driver killed it as someone with both light and dark warring inside.  I can only dream of a world where Hayden Christensen was capable of that.

On another note, I was thinking about the plot and felt a great disturbance in the force. As though a hundred books cried out in terror... and became non-cannonical. I know only a couple dozen of them are actually canon, but I think even some of them are up the creek now.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

Where on earth did Kylo get Vader's helmet from? 

Kylo does remind of Anakin before he became Vader but without the whininess. I do hope it's explained why and how he fell to the Dark side although it does seem that there is still some good in him, 

I guess I just favor execution over originality in the long run. TFA was fun. Yes, it shared elements of story with ANH and TESB but that, for me, kind of makes it even more fun because there's new characters and new revelations.

Beats those stale, boring, poorly-written prequels any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Anyone else besides me thought of the spin-off movies when that little old female alien gave Solo the lightsaber and she told him that it would be a story for another time how she acquired it,.

I doubt we'll see that in a spin-off movie but I imagine it'll be explained in Episode VIII.

4 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

I guess I just favor execution over originality in the long run. TFA was fun. Yes, it shared elements of story with ANH and TESB but that, for me, kind of makes it even more fun because there's new characters and new revelations.

I will agree on the prequels. TFA is like a 7.5ish while the prequels were in the 4-5ish range on a scale of 10.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TStechnij said:

I loved it, but I had no capacity to not love it. 

Complaining about the beats not being earned is a little strange though, considering that is how Star Wars has always been. I don't think that it is too much of a travesty that some little moments go by fast when you are dealing with an epic though. 

But yeah, I cried four times. I had a ton of fun. 

Thinking about it, this was JJ only film that I didn't cry

I may as well cry of utter disappointment.

Just now, goldenstate5 said:

That isn't hard.

When they said Luke wanted to establish a new Jedi order but one of his disciples turned to the dark side, thwarting his plans, i assume they were talking about Ren. I guess Luke has been blaming himself, which made him go screw it, i go into seclusion.

But man, the dark side sure seems to be tempting. Even having cool parents like Han and Leia, not to mention a cool uncle, doesn't protect one from becoming a baby eating monster.

• Like 1

Just now, Elessar said:

That isn't hard.

When they said Luke wanted to establish a new Jedi order but one of his disciples turned to the dark side, thwarting his plans, i assume they were talking about Ren. I guess Luke has been blaming himself, which made him go screw it, i go into seclusion.

But man, the dark side sure seems to be tempting. Even having cool parents like Han and Leia, not to mention a cool uncle, doesn't protect one from becoming a baby eating monster.

I think Maz's line of seeing the same eyes in different people rings true, Kylo/Anakin, Luke/Obi-Wai and Rey/Luke. 

With Anakin, it was easy to see why he fell to the Dark Side, it's not so clear with Kylo but that it'll likely be explained in due course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

That isn't hard.

"Come to the Dark Side. We have candy."

That having been said, I bet Han and Leia actually weren't cool parents. They loved each other, but they probably fought constantly and the relationship was really unstable. I bet Leia could be really self-righteous and judgy, and Han was impulsive and unreliable. Han was probably a cool but totally unreliable dad who could be really fun when he was around, but didn't really model good behavior and you couldn't really count on him to deliver anything. He seems like the kind of dad who'd promise to take you to the circus tomorrow, but would instead totally bail on you without saying anything after getting into a huge fight with Leia and not come back for a couple months. And Leia, while reliable, was unavailable because she always had some "important" thing she was giving 110% and it didn't involve you.

Luke was probably pretty cool, since by that point he was long past his apparently genetic "whiny teens and early 20s" stage and was super zen about everything. As an alienated kid with anger issues and a lot of insecurity, probably stemming from a bad relationship with his parents, Luke might have been really hard to relate to.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

I know Abrams opted to jettison the PT wholesale. But, the world building and overarching plot isn't bad. The storytelling, dialogue, pacing and acting is though. I guess I wanted the new that trilogy bring the expanded universe, new faces and worlds of the PT but with the execution of Abrams' storytelling. I guess we got that in the OT. I thought the new trilogy would've been a newish story told well instead in a bigger galaxy. You know, what everyone hoped the PT would be... But, now, we have the poorly rendered expanded reality of the PT, the awesome OT and, so far, the imitation OT which is TFA. Some just to have their cake and eat it too a la Fury Road, Creed, Fargo. And it really does taint it when just this year Hawley, Coogler and Miller did it SO right with very similar continuations of mythos.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer