AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

The characters were awesome, the humour was great and the pacing and whole look of the film was good. But the story was a little derivative, especially once Han and Chewie show up. I was expecting it though, since JJ has managed to make good films from fundamentally flawed screenplays throughout his whole career. Super 8 is probably the best film I've ever seen where the third act just doesn't work (which even JJ himself later admitted).

It may be the prequel apologist in me speaking, but I really wish Lucas had stuck around for one more film before retiring. As much crap as people give him for surrounding himself with yes men on the prequels, I think JJ would have benefitted from Lucas working with him on this more than someone like Kasdan. Lucas still knows more about storytelling than almost any filmmaker (the prequels had good stories, they were just poorly executed in many parts) and I think he would have called JJ on his mystery box bullshit and the few scenes that felt very out of place in a SW film. 

This film was so averse to risk that it didn't even bother to explain the relationship between the First Order and the Resistance/New Republic for fear of having the political talk that people hated in the prequels. I mean the capital of the Republic gets blown up and no one even seems to bat an eyelid or contemplate what this means for the galaxy. Speaking of which, I would have rather done without the whole superweapon climax and had the final battle take place on the world where Luke is hiding out with both sides trying to get to him first. Would have made the stakes more personal and made an interesting change from the usual big battle.

Hopefully Johnson can pick up the pieces and actually give satisfying answers to some of the many questions that JJ raised in TFA and seemed to have no interest in answering. Like I said, JJ nailed the character dynamics so, even though I feel he dropped the ball storywise in several areas, the groundwork is still there for a fantastic trilogy.

Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1

Just now, Darth Water Bottle said:

Better than the prequels. I think I rank it slightly above Return of the Jedi but beneath Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. It was a great Star Wars movie from beginning to end, I enjoyed every moment of it, and it certainly felt wittier than any other Star Wars movie. The franchise awakens and soars in this new episode!

My one real complaint is that Rey (who as far as we know had no formal training even if she was good on Jakku) being able to beat Kylo Ren. I felt like she shouldn't have won that battle. A small nibble is R2-D2 coming alive in the very final part of the film to finally complete the map was kinda funny and convenient. Other than that, I really liked it a lot and I can't wait for Episode 8!

Yeah I was thinking she should not be able to beat him that easily.  The only way I can think of is her ability to defend herself with a staff back on Jakku.  Perhaps she will get a double bladed staff light saber in the next movie after she returns Luke's saber.

tumblr_ni7m2fi3lr1u2hbnto1_1280.jpg

Just now, Darth Water Bottle said:

Better than the prequels. I think I rank it slightly above Return of the Jedi but beneath Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. It was a great Star Wars movie from beginning to end, I enjoyed every moment of it, and it certainly felt wittier than any other Star Wars movie. The franchise awakens and soars in this new episode!

My one real complaint is that Rey (who as far as we know had no formal training even if she was good on Jakku) being able to beat Kylo Ren. I felt like she shouldn't have won that battle. A small nibble is R2-D2 coming alive in the very final part of the film to finally complete the map was kinda funny and convenient. Other than that, I really liked it a lot and I can't wait for Episode 8!

Also Rey fights like the Emperor does in her fighting style.

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So Rey has amnesia, aka the lamest tool in any screenwriter s toolbox ?

She doesn't have to have "amnesia" if she was just really young. How much do you remember from 3,4, and 5? Maybe a few people can remember back then really well, but most of us can't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

She doesn't have to have "amnesia" if she was just really young. How much do you remember from 3,4, and 5? Maybe a few people can remember back then really well, but most of us can't. 

So she cannot have started her Jedi training then.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No, she probably had her jedi training and the memory that she is Luke's daughter "force supressed" somehow, for her own protection. I also don't think that Luke would leave her behind without someone to protect her, even if she doesn't know that. And I think that's Max von Sydow's role in Jakku, and the real reason he was there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So she cannot have started her Jedi training then.

I wouldn't think so. She just feels the Force "awaken" something in her, and that is her Jedi lineage. The Force is very strong in her because she is a third generation Jedi (presumably with a grandfather and father that were two of the most powerful), so I don't think she requires the kind of training most would. We already know she was a skilled fighter roughing it on Jakku. Don't see why it's such a stretch she could wield a saber so well already. I think she was told about the Force and all that as a young child, and for reasons we don't know yet Luke had to hide her away. He told her he'd come back for her when she was old enough (to start training), but then decided against that after the Kylo situation. My theory anyways. I would be surprised if she was already trained and just "lost" her memory. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

No, she probably had her jedi training and the memory that she is Luke's daughter "force supressed" somehow, for her own protection. I also don't think that Luke would leave her behind without someone to protect her, even if she doesn't know that. And I think that's Max von Sydow's role in Jakku, and the real reason he was there. 

What would be the point in hiding her away if she was already a skilled and trained Jedi? Couldn't she protect herself in that case? Don't disagree with you about Sydow's role though.

I think the flashback scenes have been shot already and will be in EP8 without Johnson's input in it.

Lots of things have already been decided IMO.

JJ, Kasdan, Kennedy,Johnson, the Lucasfilm Comitte laid out the story arcs for every important character for the current trilogy, so people shouldn't think too much about Johnson s involvement in this, this is not how a huge franchise like Star Wars works.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

I think it's quite obvious that Luke would be able to make her "forget" that she was his daughter and that she had jedi training. Snoke thought that Luke was the only jedi out there and he had seduced Ben already for the dark side. Since she doesn't remember and was living in a poor desert planet (I suspect the Empire/First Order wouldn't care to colonize planets like Jakku or Tattooine because the lack of resources there, so that's why she's in a desert instead of a more resourceful planet) and she was probably being watched by Max von Sydow's character (that's the only reason that an ally of the resistance would be there guarding such a big secret like part of the map for Luke's location, being the other part of the puzzle Rey herself, since R2 was programmed by Luke to only comeback once his daughter was around), regardless if she was leading a lonely life. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What would be the point in hiding her away if she was already a skilled and trained Jedi? Couldn't she protect herself in that case? Don't disagree with you about Sydow's role though.

Because he doesn't want her involved in Jedi stuff anymore? Since he feels responsible for Ben Solo turning dark, killing all the students he was supposed to protect and hence ruining everyone's lives, I think he wanted his daughter kept away from both the force and himself. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So Rey has amnesia, aka the lamest tool in any screenwriter s toolbox ?

Maybe not full on amnesia like Bourne but simply had her force abilities suppressed due to either the trauma or her father doing so to keep her away from this shit. 

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Because he doesn't want her involved in Jedi stuff anymore? Since he feels responsible for Ben Solo turning dark, killing all the students he was supposed to protect and hence ruining everyone's lives, I think he wanted his daughter kept away from both the force and himself. 

Still bad parenting IMO.

Where s the  love ?

:lol: